KTM 790 Duke Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

Did a quick search on this and didn't find any posts.

I test rode a 2018 790 Duke on the weekend and it was a mostly glorious experience. The only concern with the bike was that there was what could be described as 'crunch' or grinding when I would down shift into first (clutch in). It happened almost every time, I only managed a few times to get it to shift into first smoothly. Felt like the gears weren't meshing together. Otherwise shifting was sweet - with and without quickshifter. Bike is a dealership demo unit, with about 550km. Forgot to ask the salesman about it when I got back 馃檮

Thoughts? Is this 'normal'? Still seriously considering the 790, just want to know if I should avoid this particular example.

Thanks!

Registered
When are you trying to downshift to first? Is this at a stop or when rolling? Normally first is used to just get the bike rolling and rarely would you ever engage first when rolling. There is a pretty big jump from 1st >2nd.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It happened while stopped, and while decelerating to come to a stop. Think I also may have gone down to first for a really tight roundabout.

Registered
It is a really big drop so that makes it more problematic. How was the clutch free play? If there is too much, the clutch might not disengage completely. Try rocking the bike, one of my bikes the only way I can downshift it to first at a stop is to rock it. Then it sort of clunks. This isn't on my KTM but on a Ducati I have.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It was getting into gear quickly, there was just some grind. This was happening while stopped, so not the usual needing to rock the bike or let the clutch back out a bit to get it to drop into first. I'm thinking that clutch free play / adjustment is probably the culprit. I'm going to assume that this is not normal, and will follow up with the dealer if I decide to make a move on that particular model.

Registered
I haven't read about any gear issues and it seems like my 890 has the same gearbox as the 790. If it can handle the extra power of the 890, then it should last a long time in the 790 assuming no abuse.

While I am glad I bought my 890, some of the blow out specials the dealers are offering on the 790 here would have been very tempting. I saw one dealer offering a brand new 2020 790 for $7900 (US). They usually add on some ridiculous fees but that is better than starting at $10,500 and adding the same ridiculous fees. Thank God the US doesn't have a VAT system and we just have to deal with sales tax which is normally 5-10% depending on what state and city you live in.

If I were looking solely at retail price of the 790 to 890, the 890 is far and away the best option of the two for only $1,000 more. All the upgrades are worth thousands of dollars but at $7900 I probably would have agonized a bit over the price before deciding.

Good luck if you end up with the bike. The 790/890 platform is a pretty great bike all around.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts