KTM 790 Duke Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Mine came with passenger pegs, a grab rail, and a solo cover. If it was supposed to come with a pillion seat, I would use it along with my tail bag to avoid scratching the solo cover.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Yes, it does come with a pillion seat. I had a hard time getting my tail bag to work with the pillion seat because of the limited clearance between seat and tail, and how tight the seat base fit when latched. I unscrewed the seat top from the base, and ran my tail bag straps between the two, re-securing the top and base back together with the screws. Now the seat attaches as intended, and my tail bag is even MORE secure than expected.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Yes, it does come with a pillion seat. I had a hard time getting my tail bag to work with the pillion seat because of the limited clearance between seat and tail, and how tight the seat base fit when latched. I unscrewed the seat top from the base, and ran my tail bag straps between the two, re-securing the top and base back together with the screws. Now the seat attaches as intended, and my tail bag is even MORE secure than expected.
I did something similar with my 10r.. but I used the bolts on the under side of the pillion seat.
I cut two tiny cross slits through the straps from the tailbag, then melted the slits once I pushed the bolts through to avoid the fraying.
Rebolted it. I only ran the tailbag on the street - cowl was for the track. Worked great.
Not sure what the underside looks like on the 890r seat - but who knows - this might be an option too.

Attachments

·
Cry Baby
158 Posts
I believe these bikes have the pillion cowl cover installed and pillion footpegs NOT installed. My dealer did it half-assed. Without asking me they installed the pegs and seat, but when I asked about the cowl that was supposed to be there they said, oh, no, it doesn't come with that.

I showed them a pic from their own website that showed the bike in the condition it is supposed to be delivered... no pegs (but supplied), no seat (supplied), cowl (installed).

So they looked around and found it and shipped it to me.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I believe these bikes have the pillion cowl cover installed and pillion footpegs NOT installed. My dealer did it half-assed. Without asking me they installed the pegs and seat, but when I asked about the cowl that was supposed to be there they said, oh, no, it doesn't come with that.

I showed them a pic from their own website that showed the bike in the condition it is supposed to be delivered... no pegs (but supplied), no seat (supplied), cowl (installed).

So they looked around and found it and shipped it to me.
I had the same from the dealer that I bought mine from. They had it pictured on their website with the pillion seat and passenger footpegs installed and it was very confusing because every other picture and video I had seen on the 890 showed only a seat cowl on it with no passenger seat. When I bought my bike, I had to remind the salesman several times (he told me to) to include the seat cowl as it was in a box that they got when they received the bike.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well, my dealer said my bike didn't come with a pillion seat. I need it to mount my SW Motech rear rack. Does anybody here want to sell me their pillion seat?

·
Super Moderator
'09 CBR1000RR
638 Posts
Well, my dealer said my bike didn't come with a pillion seat. I need it to mount my SW Motech rear rack. Does anybody here want to sell me their pillion seat?
Your dealer in very mistaken, no way I'd let that one go. A quick email or phone call to KTM USA would rectify that quickly I'm sure.

·
Cry Baby
158 Posts
It should come with a box containing the pillion seat, pillion pegs with brackets, grab rail and all the hardware necessary to run in either pillion or solo mode (the two modes need different hardware.

My dealer told me the solo seat cover was not included. I had to show them pics on their own website showing the solo cover on the stock bike.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
KTM USA customer service leaves a lot to be desired. I still haven't heard back from them from my first call. I called back two days later and was eventually dumped into voicemail.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
KTM USA finally got back to me and said that 890 Dukes do not come with a pillion seat. I asked why everyone else received a passenger seat. He said maybe they had some special deal :rolleyes:.

I said ok, I guess there is nothing I can do and started to end the conversation. He said there is something you can do: you can order a seat from your dealer.

·
Registered
20 Posts
KTM USA finally got back to me and said that 890 Dukes do not come with a pillion seat. I asked why everyone else received a passenger seat. He said maybe they had some special deal :rolleyes:.

I said ok, I guess there is nothing I can do and started to end the conversation. He said there is something you can do: you can order a seat from your dealer.
WTF? It was not a special deal, all the HW for pillion/no pillion was in the owners manual folder. The dealer asked me how I wanted set up when they were prepping my bike.

That's some BS that KTM USA is jacking you around over this.

·
Cry Baby
158 Posts

Bullshit. They owe you more than the seat. Pillion seat, pillion pegs with brackets, hardware to set it up either solo or pillion. Call them back and ask for that guy's manager. Actually although KTM is handling this poorly, your dealer is the real problem.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Bullshit. They owe you more than the seat. Pillion seat, pillion pegs with brackets, hardware to set it up either solo or pillion. Call them back and ask for that guy's manager. Actually although KTM is handling this poorly, your dealer is the real problem.
I've got the passenger pegs and the necessary hardware, just no seat. I've been jerked around by KTM before with my 2014 Superduke and all of its problems. Par for the course. I'm tired of this crap so this is my last KTM. I was going to buy one of their dirt bikes but fortunately, there were none in stock.

·
Cry Baby
158 Posts
I've got the passenger pegs and the necessary hardware, just no seat. I've been jerked around by KTM before with my 2014 Superduke and all of its problems. Par for the course. I'm tired of this crap so this is my last KTM. I was going to buy one of their dirt bikes but fortunately, there were none in stock.
I don't blame you. I won't be buying any more KTMs either. They really treat their customers like ****.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I got a call from my dealer who said he called KTM and told them that I was missing my pillion seat. They sent him my seat and I just picked it up when I had my oil changed under warranty due to the mix up at the factory.

·
Registered
40 Posts
picked up my 890 in Salem, OR last weekend. It did come with passenger pegs and passenger seat (not installed) the grab rail and solo cowl was installed. As much as I dont like the looks of the grab rail, I am finding it quite useful so it will stay on for now.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Mine came with the pillion seat cover and all the associated pillion related parts nicely organized in a box. They made sure I didn't forget it when I picked up the bike.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Mine came with the pillion seat cover and all the associated pillion related parts nicely organized in a box. They made sure I didn't forget it when I picked up the bike.
I see this is all based on US and Canadian dudes/dudesses - is it the same the world over - I’ve already bought an 890R ten times over in my head but thinking through the practical stuff - like a Kriega pack on the pillion seat. If it does come as standard that’s brilliant. Thanks

1 - 20 of 20 Posts