KTM 790 Duke Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m 148 lbs with full gear. Attached it the front fork travel. Do I need a softer springs?

·
Registered
141 Posts
I wish I had your problem... Have you measured the sag? That is the difference the bike settles once you are on it. You could measure along the lower fork tube when you are off the bike and then on the bike. Subtract the second measurement from the first. That will give you the sag.

·
Registered
790 Duke 2020
141 Posts
13mm rider sag? Surely not. I would expect the unloaded bike sag might be around 13mm. But with rider on board it should be around 40mm.
TBH the zip tie witness mark doesn't look far out.
Lift the front end up so that forks are completely unloaded. Measure from dust seal to bottom of leg. Then make a note of where 140mm is from seal to lower part of chrome stanchion. These forks have a stroke of 140mm. You can then figure how much remaining travel your zip tie is indicating.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
let’s assume it’s 15mm front fork sag with rider and my average fork travel on the street is 80mm. What can we conclude from this? Am I too light? Sorry, I have a girlish figure at 52 years old.

I will take another measurement again later.

·
Registered
790 Duke 2020
141 Posts
Ok. Let’s think again after you come back with rechecked measurements. I am only about 150 lb in my summer riding gear, so we are fairly similar.
The forks are fitted with progressive springs. So smallish irregularities are dealt with by the more open coils. It’s not until you brake really hard, or hit a big road bump that the strongersection of the springs start to work.
I think most manufacturers assume that Mr or Ms Average Weighs around 165lb, give or take a bit. So we are on the light side.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Looks like you have around 40 - 50mm left. I have ridden roads in USA and they are all very smooth compared to my country back roads. So to me that seems about right. I suggest you find some very bumpy back roads and ride them fat, then check the travel.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Unless it is topping out on the rebound on bump roads I'd leave it. I'm 146lbs plus bike gear. Do the zip tie test under heavy breaking and see how much fork travel you have left but remember fork travel is not always the distance you can see externally from the obvious stops.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.