KTM 790 Duke Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Duke 890 R
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last weekend I took the tail end off my bike and sketched some measurements to play around with the idea of 3D printing a tail tidy that is compatible with Rizoma Corsa S lights.

Here is a rough idea of what I was thinking (everything upside down... mnnthbx on the left, diy on the right).

I have to recheck the measurements on the mounting holes, then I am going to attempt to 3D print this in PLA+ and mount it up. I am not sure if PLA+ is an acceptable material (decent impact resistance, decent rigidity, poor UV resistance). The mnnthbx uses Delrin but I have read there are significant barriers to 3d printing with this (e.g. all metal hot end, potential to generate formaldehyde gasses).

My next steps are to confirm the bolt hole locations, make them the right size and give it a test print. I will update this thread with my model files if I have any success with the fit up. If I can get it mounted to the bike without issues, I am going to model a spot for an LED license plate light and order up all the components (leds+corsas+stronger 3d print filament).

·
Registered
10 Posts
Model looks great! you'll have to let us know how it goes. PLA isn't "great" with UV resistance, but isn't nearly as bad as some of the other filaments materials out there. I would be more concerned with the heat from the exhaust than anything. But that's the great thing about 3d printing, if it breaks, make a new one! Maybe something like an acrylic (PMMA) would be best case scenario, but finding the stuff is hard and presents it's own challenges. also how do you plan to hold in the turn signals? I see you have the hole for them but whats your plan to keep them attached? Love the DIY ideas!!!

·
Registered
2020 Duke 890 R
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks for the feedback, I made some progress on the model. It took me a few times to get all of the holes aligned. My motorcycle garage is not at my house so I took off the tail section to model from.

Here are some pictures of the various mess ups and the final picture is where I am at now.

In between #1 and #2 I figured out I needed a hole to measure it against the tail piece off the bike.
Here is the model resting on the tail piece

There are a few major components to shake out:
1. double check fitment on the actual bike (+counter sink the bolt holes)
2. order turn signals and address mounting (model out a channel on the back side for fitment of nut on the end of stems?)
3. create a hole for a tail light LED and wiring (remove visible wiring hole)
4. model the license plate bracket, print on paper, cut out of mild steel or aluminum, cut with drill press, bend

After printing it, I can see why the commercial one is so thick (to accommodate the diameter of the rizoma's stems).
I will update this thread as I make progress (and if I end up succeeding, I will definitely share the finished model + stl files)

·
Registered
20 Posts
Made my own fender eliminator today out of flat steel stock. Painted enamel flat black and soldered all wires into factory harness plug. Two bolt takes it all off and track ready.

Attachments

·
Registered
2020 Duke 890 R
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
THAT'S KILLER! nice work. The tail light fits under there nicely

I printed another (shorter, extra holes for shorter print time) version today before riding, so that I could use the stock bolts to check alignment. The bolt holes line up and are the correct size. More components should show up this week so this gives me some time to tweak the model to the right dimensions for the turn signals/plate led.

1596329218003.png 1596329200008.png

·
Registered
20 Posts
What turn signals did you use there?
Custom Dynamics is the brand. Ive been using their LED lights for over 10 years and swear by them. They are more expensive but worth every dollar. Here’s the link

·
Registered
14 Posts
Custom Dynamics is the brand. Ive been using their LED lights for over 10 years and swear by them. They are more expensive but worth every dollar. Here’s the link

Did you have to wire in resistors/relays/flashers?

·
Registered
14 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Did you have to wire in resistors/relays/flashers?
I wired it directly since it uses an electronic relay. It’s always been worked before on other bikes with electronic relays. The signals flash at normal speed however it throws an “indicator error” on the display after a few seconds when using the flasher. I’m guessing it knows the resistance is out of spec, so I have some resistors I’ll tap in to see if it corrects the fault. It’s not a big deal as the fault clears after you reset the signal switch, just a little annoying.

·
Registered
2020 Duke 890 R
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
re: resistors, I purchased "Rizoma Turn Signal Cable Kit KTM 790 Duke / Husqvarna Vitpilen 701" from Revzilla (Item: P677406 SKU: 1599201). It is 2x premade resistor cables.

Here is a picture of the instructions (it looks like two completely different resistors 100ohm and 47 ohm). And a preview of where my model is at.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts