KTM 790 Duke Forum banner

41 - 60 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
i hope that's not the case. The fact that the 790, along with bikes like the 765, MT 07/09, etc are selling well. Bigger, better, faster, more is no longer the way forward. Road manners (handling, braking, safety features) and fuel economy matter these days but need to be combined with the fun factor with this class of middleweight.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Face it - RIGHT NOW it is a buyers market. COVID has killed off a lot of capricious sales. So dealers and wholesalers have stock. In a couple of months they'll be looking at 2021 pre-orders. I wonder what 790ADV's are going for? - Hmmmmm!
The KTM/Husky/Honda/Yamaha/Suzuki dealer my wife works at hasn't been as busy as they have been this year. People have more time for riding, and getting their kids on dirt bikes to keep them busy. Dirt bikes are sold out in kid sizes, thin stock for adults, and dual sports are gone. Motorcycles fall under "Transportation" on the list of essential services, like me as an automotive mechanic, so we never had to shut down here. I've been amazed at how many VW vans I'm working on for "essential" camping.

·
Registered
3 Posts
A friend sent me this photo today of a new 2020 790 Duke for sale at a local KTM dealer.

To translate, $7,999 CDN dollars at today's exchange rates is:

• 5,957 USD
  • 5,017 Euro
  • 4,539 Pounds
  • 8,271 Aussie bucks
  • 99,800 SA Rand
MSRP is $11,599 so KTM is kicking every current 790/890 owner in the teeth with resale value right now.

It's July month - not October (beginning of the offseason in the Northern Hemisphere and usual discount time)

Ouch...

View attachment 5088
The 790 duke will be made in China starting 2021 so I’m sure 2020 and below the prices will go up

·
Registered
31 Posts
I just ordered a new Duke for A$12,990 and was offered a demo for $11,790. Also got a better than expected trade-in. A friend in the trader told me that when the Duke was first launched they were A$18k and didn't really sell. They dropped them to A$15k and numbers picked up but then slowed so they dropped again to $13k and sales took off. They then re-priced to $15k and they have stayed that way for about a year until the price dropped back down to $13k last Friday. Apparently there are no MY20's in Australia as they are still working through the MY19 stock which is all black. One of the dealers also told me that while the 890 is A$19k or A$20K if you want to 'unlock' all the available software settings for ride modes and suspension etc you have to pay another $2k for a software upgrade?
I paid A$12k ride away for a floor stock (not demo) '18 model in Orange 3 months ago, I've heard similar pricing on the 890R not that any dealers have them. So I say the 890 aint worth 50% more than what we paid, just wait 2 more years n upgrade then when they're selling them run-out for less than A$15k

·
Registered
10 Posts
I paid A$12k ride away for a floor stock (not demo) '18 model in Orange 3 months ago, I've heard similar pricing on the 890R not that any dealers have them. So I say the 890 aint worth 50% more than what we paid, just wait 2 more years n upgrade then when they're selling them run-out for less than A$15k
Same deal. Got one fresh out of the crate for A$12k back in January. Had to be shipped from the KTM warehouse since dealer didn't have orange. And to note: in Australia A$12k includes all fees, taxes, and registration.

Now 790s are advertised between $13k and $17k...

·
Registered
31 Posts
Same deal. Got one fresh out of the crate for A$12k back in January. Had to be shipped from the KTM warehouse since dealer didn't have orange. And to note: in Australia A$12k includes all fees, taxes, and registration.

Now 790s are advertised between $13k and $17k...
You see the ride away price for the 890R $19,195? That dosen't include track mode or quick shifter

·
Registered
338 Posts
They’ll probably discount them until they’re all gone now as it sounds like the 790 will be discontinue.
i wouldn’t mind a base 890 and hopefully the majority of parts will swap over.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I live in the Eastern U.S.

2 local dealers had 790's at discount, everyone else was cleaned out and I was told that I might be able to get an 890 next year. Maybe.

Picked this up new for $8,725 out the door, including title fee. Tires and exhaust were not included, of course.

Couldn't be happier with the bike as far as geometry (flikable and stable), motor (strong), trans (Buttah) and ergos - this thing is amazing.

Absolutely needs suspension upgrades. But heck, they invented wintertime specifically so we could have time for work like that.

Only 240 miles till first service.

·
Registered
11 Posts
My 2020 OTD was 8,502.44 which included $80 doc, 6% WV privilege tax (includes 6% on the $2,000 rebate unfortunately) and $36 for title and license plate in Morgantown, WV.

Ridersville in Berkley Springs WV (50 miles north of Winchester, VA) had 4 on the floor last week, 2 orange, 2 black. $8,199 plus 6% WV tax (on $10,199), and $36 for WV title and plate. They don't add fees, prep, etc. If you're out of state it's just $8,199 and you deal with your state DMV.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Lucky fellers with the lower (or no) state tax. I have the lowest rate in CA at 7.75% but still paid $8600+tax this past weekend. SoCal is usually a slightly hotter market, so I can’t complain too much.

·
a d m i n .
151,147 Posts
My 2020 OTD was 8,502.44 which included $80 doc, 6% WV privilege tax (includes 6% on the $2,000 rebate unfortunately)
That's interesting as I was recently browsing KTM's Current Offers, I see low or no interest deals, but no displayed rebates, (that doesn't mean they're not offering them on the sly).

I suppose it could vary by State, but here in NY, if the dlr discounts the price, (no rebate), one doesn't get taxed on the total msrp price, only on the agreed upon price.

·
Registered
11 Posts
When I was at Ridersville last week I checked on the 790 Duke prices. He had to check because the $2,000 KTM rebate expired end of August, but it turns out KTM extended it for September so his $8,199 is still good.
That's how it works in WV as well, you only pay tax on the final discounted amount. But it's different with factory cash back rebates, WV takes the stance that the $2,000 is rebated "after" the sale.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Here in NH, there is no State sales tax, but we do pay a "Town tax" when we register. That tax is based on MSRP and not discounted price.

·
a d m i n .
151,147 Posts
WV takes the stance that the $2,000 is rebated "after" the sale.
Now that makes total sense. I’m used to a rebate being taxed, that is normal, (I spent a handful of years on the finance end of things, in the motor sports industry).

·
Registered
2019 Duke 790
3 Posts
Just bought a used Duke 790 yesterday. While shopping over last 10 days in Seattle area saw most, but not all dealers were down to $7999.

41 - 60 of 67 Posts