KTM 790 Duke Forum banner

21 - 40 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
My 790 is my perfect street bike.but God damn! The bars are too wide. I keep hitting car mirrors and having to apologize.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Moral of this tale- don't sell your 790 and you haven't lost any money.
Simplistically, that would make sense. But I prefer having the choice to keep it, rather than being compelled to, due to the actions of a manufacturer who clearly couldn't give two craps about their customers.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I've only seen one new 790 discounted here in Utah at $8,699.00 USD. All other dealers are not discounting anything yet.

·
The 'other' Long Islander..
300 Posts
I have seen a couple around here for about 8k US, makes me wish I waited for the 890 sometimes. However then i would have missed out on all the great riding I have had in the past year! Does it suck for when you want to sell it in a couple of years? Yes. But did any of us really buy a motorcycle for it's resale value? It is like a car, you drive it off the lot and it's resale drops immediately and every mod you put on you won't get the money back for.

I know by the time I want to sell it the bike will be at it's rock bottom used price anyways, maybe around 4 grand if i'm lucky.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I bought the very first 790 Duke ever available in Ottawa last year, and have been absolutely molested on resale value since. Add to that the total pr*ck of a dealer, and I'll do everything in my power to never buy a KTM again. Shame they make such good bikes.

·
a d m i n .
151,147 Posts
You all bought it for a reason, they’re great motos!
It’s European, not Japanese, you knew this going in. Enjoy it!

·
Registered
41 Posts
Yeah, it always kinda hurts when you hear someone bought the same thing for less than you did.....but, I always look at it like you've got to be happy with the deal you make at the time you made it; none of us have a crystal ball.

OTOH, I think the seasonal and left-over discounts on bikes tend to hurt the people trying to sell that same bike on the used market the most. There's no way I'd consider any of the used 790 Dukes on CL or FBM when the dealers are running them OTD for nearly the same price (or less in a couple instances).

In the long run, used prices stabilize & level out. By then, if you're selling, it won't sting as much.

·
Registered
5 Posts
It really depends on how the local area is impacted by the virus and dealer inventory. The dealer a few hours away with 6 left in stock has discounted them to $8199. Other dealers with 1 or 2 left are selling at full MSRP. All manufacturers aren’t operating at full capacity so used prices will stabilize once the new units are gone.

I really feel bad for the owners of used 690 Dukes asking for $8k!

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discounted here in NZ too. I want to get out and ride an 890 to see if all the hype is right. If not I might buy a second 790 and "scramble" one of them:)
If you read Kevin Cameron’s review in the 890 engine it hardly seems worth it to upgrade. Something like 12 hp and 3.5 ft pds torque. My 790 with Coober pipe and air box gained 5 or 6 hp and 6 do pds torque. I do agree the brakes are improved and perhaps suspension.Q
I've only seen one new 790 discounted here in Utah at $8,699.00 USD. All other dealers are not discounting anything yet.
They will plus they';re getting big rebates from KTM -

·
Registered
14 Posts
I just ordered a new Duke for A$12,990 and was offered a demo for $11,790. Also got a better than expected trade-in. A friend in the trader told me that when the Duke was first launched they were A$18k and didn't really sell. They dropped them to A$15k and numbers picked up but then slowed so they dropped again to $13k and sales took off. They then re-priced to $15k and they have stayed that way for about a year until the price dropped back down to $13k last Friday. Apparently there are no MY20's in Australia as they are still working through the MY19 stock which is all black. One of the dealers also told me that while the 890 is A$19k or A$20K if you want to 'unlock' all the available software settings for ride modes and suspension etc you have to pay another $2k for a software upgrade?

·
Registered
2018 KTM,790 Duke, 2008 KTM RC8, 2008 Kawasaki KLE500
163 Posts
One dealer has new 18 models listed at NZ$12,999 so there are still some about here. 890 listed at $19500 but there are none available as yet.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I've just paid £7,499 for a 2020 bike. All dealers here have them at that price. A 2018/9 would have been £6,999. My dealer is giving me cost price on farkles (heated grips, Akra can etc) and free fitting. I was offered an 890 for £10k, but I don't think it's £2,500 better for the riding I do, mainly country roads and no track days. I plan to keep the 790 for a long time, so resale value didn't really enter the equation.

·
a d m i n .
151,147 Posts
I've just paid £7,499 for a 2020 bike. All dealers here have them at that price. A 2018/9 would have been £6,999. My dealer is giving me cost price on farkles (heated grips, Akra can etc) and free fitting. I was offered an 890 for £10k, but I don't think it's £2,500 better for the riding I do, mainly country roads and no track days. I plan to keep the 790 for a long time, so resale value didn't really enter the equation.
That’s the spirit!

·
The 'other' Long Islander..
300 Posts
I felt the same way, I got a good deal at the time and I bought the bike to keep for a while.

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
Face it - RIGHT NOW it is a buyers market. COVID has killed off a lot of capricious sales. So dealers and wholesalers have stock. In a couple of months they'll be looking at 2021 pre-orders. I wonder what 790ADV's are going for? - Hmmmmm!

·
Registered
32 Posts
It's not a buyers market here. Several of the nearest dealers to me have got no 790s and no sign of any arriving. Deliveries have been held up by the plague. The dealer I'm using, Fowlers of Bristol, a massive multi franchise place, have several in stock but are selling so many bikes they have a 4 week wait for pdi and handover. If you want one, you pay their price of £7,499.

This will be the 5th bike I have bought from Fowlers. They have looked after me well in the past. They do, however, control the market to a degree here in the south-west.

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
It's not a buyers market here.
Here it totally is. Dealers will work like fury as simply they are not selling enough (overall). But they are NOT keeping stock.
What I have heard is that "what sells" is radically polarized this year. I've a mate with a Guzzi shop who is selling V85TT's faster than they can be made - but pretty much nothing else.
The 790 MAY be one of these.

·
Registered
338 Posts
It's not a buyers market here. Several of the nearest dealers to me have got no 790s and no sign of any arriving. Deliveries have been held up by the plague. The dealer I'm using, Fowlers of Bristol, a massive multi franchise place, have several in stock but are selling so many bikes they have a 4 week wait for pdi and handover. If you want one, you pay their price of £7,499.

This will be the 5th bike I have bought from Fowlers. They have looked after me well in the past. They do, however, control the market to a degree here in the south-west.
I was looking in Laguna‘s Maidstone I was told the bikes on the showroom floor was all they had until 2021 bikes start arriving wasn’t sure it that was bs or not.

21 - 40 of 67 Posts