KTM 790 Duke Forum banner

1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Super-Moderator
'20 890R
551 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A friend sent me this photo today of a new 2020 790 Duke for sale at a local KTM dealer.

To translate, $7,999 CDN dollars at today's exchange rates is:

• 5,957 USD
  • 5,017 Euro
  • 4,539 Pounds
  • 8,271 Aussie bucks
  • 99,800 SA Rand
MSRP is $11,599 so KTM is kicking every current 790/890 owner in the teeth with resale value right now.

It's July month - not October (beginning of the offseason in the Northern Hemisphere and usual discount time)

Ouch...

·
Registered
338 Posts
It’s what ktm do best, I would like an 890 but will wait until they drop the last year model price altho I am looking at other brands as well.

·
a d m i n .
151,147 Posts
Are those prices across the board in Ca, or is it just that dealer who may‘ve earned copious dealer cash from KTM or bought them on tier pricing ?

·
Registered
2018 KTM,790 Duke, 2008 KTM RC8, 2008 Kawasaki KLE500
163 Posts
Discounted here in NZ too. I want to get out and ride an 890 to see if all the hype is right. If not I might buy a second 790 and "scramble" one of them:)

·
Registered
181 Posts
Great deal! Will look great parked when the CSS leaks and they're backordered until the fall.

·
a d m i n .
151,147 Posts
Some great deals for sure. Just be certain to determine how much the added freight, prep, and documentation fee's are, before signing the purchase order.
As Lionel said, all the above fees are there to pad the deal, they're all negotiable, keep this in mind..

·
Super-Moderator
'20 890R
551 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Are those prices across the board in Ca, or is it just that dealer who may‘ve earned copious dealer cash from KTM or bought them on tier pricing ?
All dealers have discounted them, but I haven't seen any this low before, typically up here the past month or so they've been listed for $8,999-$9,499 - $7,999 is bonkers.

·
Registered
75 Posts
In the UK we don't have all those fees which take you up to $9,249... but still around £5,265 converted :O Mine was £6,999 4 months ago (and a 2019 model). That's huge.

·
Super-Moderator
'20 890R
551 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
In the UK we don't have all those fees which take you up to $9,249... but still around £5,265 converted :O Mine was £6,999 4 months ago (and a 2019 model). That's huge.
Those fees - freight/pdi, etc... are also negotiable here so there's a 100% chance you could walk in and offer $8,500 and have yourself a deal - thats 4,850 pounds - mind you we have a Provincial tax that's in addition of 12% here so $9500 out the door. (5,394 pounds)

·
Registered
181 Posts
So that Spunky's 790 is their DEMO bike, even with the like-new tires that it has. Don't panic...

·
Registered
77 Posts
So that Spunky's 790 is their DEMO bike, even with the like-new tires that it has. Don't panic...
I’ve never seen a demo 790 Duke at Spunky’s ,where did you get your info from? I live here and visit there often.

·
Registered
181 Posts
I’ve never seen a demo 790 Duke at Spunky’s ,where did you get your info from? I live here and visit there often.
Jamie called and asked how when he heard. The only demo KTM's I've seen were part of the KTM tour, so I was a bit surprised.

·
Registered
10 Posts
That’s $1300cdn less than I paid for my 2019 in February of this year from spunky’s
Someone will get a nice bike for the money

Edited to correct an earlier... Mental typo 😁

·
Registered
118 Posts
Wow - to put it in perspective, a brand new 790 from Spunky's is the same price as six replacement headlights!!! Friggin' ridiculous, and a mammoth F-You to those of us who paid full whack, and whose re-sale is now about $4500 Canadian, at very best. Which means on paper, I've lost nearly 10 grand in 19 months, given the $11,500 purchase price, plus taxes and all the usual dealership money grabs. Without doubt, the worst purchasing decision I've ever made! I guess I'll own this bike for many years, to spread the massive drop in value. Good thing that I still like it - just have to hope it's capable of high kilometres, and doesn't crap out on me any time soon! Which given the evidence of both 790 & 890 owners so far, might be debatable. Thanks KTM. F-You too!

·
Super-Moderator
'20 890R
551 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
That’s $1300cdn more than I paid for my 2019 in February of this year from spunky’s

Someone will get a nice bike for the money
Just to clarify, in February of this year you paid $6,699 for a brand new 2019 790 Duke from Spunkys?

:unsure:

·
Super-Moderator
'20 890R
551 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Moral of this tale- don't sell your 790 and you haven't lost any money.
Well with that line of thought I'd say why not go whole hog and say let's not spend money on motorcycles in the first place - boom - instant financial gains, ain't life great! ;)

I've had a long standing agreement with my wife that I will always have and enjoy motorcycles but only 1 at a time, so I like to change them up and try all the flavors of the rainbow. In the past 3 years, I've owned:

Daytona 675R
Yamaha R3
Street Triple 765 RS
KTM RC390
GSXR 1000
Duke 790
and currently a Duke 890R

Resale value is extremely important to a buyer like myself so I buy used/demo models, leftover models, or heavily discounted bikes in some form.

My Duke 790 I was fortunate enough to get $1500 off MSRP and a VERY generous trade in value towards the 890R but man, if I paid full pop and now see them selling for SV650 prices - yikes.

·
Registered
2020 KTM 790 Duke
12 Posts
Well, I bought my new (not demo) '20 790 Duke (orange) for an out-the-door price of CDN$10,100+tax (about USD$7500+tax) just two weeks ago.

There was a black one available for CDN$9500, but I really wanted the orange.

They also had an available 890R at the dealer, but to me getting the 790 for about 30% less than the 890R was too good to pass up.

So yes, there are some great prices out there right now. I won't let rapid depreciation bother me - I love the bike and can't see myself wanting to sell it for many years.

1 - 20 of 67 Posts