KTM 790 Duke Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey fellow 790 members!

I'm looking for a decat system for my KTM 790 Duke with the ecu mapping.
I found that AR Exhausts has a system with the mapping but have not found a retailer here in the United States.

Anyone else decat their 790 duke and if so what system are you using? other than the ugly akrapovic exhaust system?

I currently have the SC Project slip on exhaust.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Honestly most "decat" pipes will be the same, as most slip ons are meant to bolt on to the stock cat system, which means MOST exhausts and MOST link pipes will work together. Realistically speaking they're almost all the same. for a tune I would probably go for something like the dynojet powercomander V from Rottweiler Performance, you basically tell them what you have done to the bike and the module will come with a tune on it for your setup. Pretty good deal for ~400 USD if you ask me.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Honestly most "decat" pipes will be the same, as most slip ons are meant to bolt on to the stock cat system, which means MOST exhausts and MOST link pipes will work together. Realistically speaking they're almost all the same. for a tune I would probably go for something like the dynojet powercomander V from Rottweiler Performance, you basically tell them what you have done to the bike and the module will come with a tune on it for your setup. Pretty good deal for ~400 USD if you ask me.
Yeah finding the decat pipe is not an issue. Just the tune.
Awesome, thanks for the feedback, I will check that out later today.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
i picked up the dynojet powercommander v from RP and the arrow de-cat mid pipe. Thanks @meledy54 for the recommendations.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I personally don't have any experience with the Arka tunes so i can't give any advice there. the reviews seem to be damn good and sounds like it clears any of the issues the powercommander/rp combo fixes, so take that with a grain of salt i guess.

As far as the decat goes, I really do have to warn how extreme the sound increase for the bike is going to be. I started with just the Akra slip on, took the baffle off which I loved, and then combo it with the decat pipe and it is OBNOXIOUSLY loud. Sounds amazing don't get me wrong, but i actually swapped it out after legitimate noise complaints from the neighbors trying to ride to work at 6am..

·
Registered
19 Posts
I personally don't have any experience with the Arka tunes so i can't give any advice there. the reviews seem to be damn good and sounds like it clears any of the issues the powercommander/rp combo fixes, so take that with a grain of salt i guess.

As far as the decat goes, I really do have to warn how extreme the sound increase for the bike is going to be. I started with just the Akra slip on, took the baffle off which I loved, and then combo it with the decat pipe and it is OBNOXIOUSLY loud. Sounds amazing don't get me wrong, but i actually swapped it out after legitimate noise complaints from the neighbors trying to ride to work at 6am..
Point taken! So, it's ear-bleadingly loud even with the baffle in? I'm considering doing this with the stock silencer but I honestly don't want it to draw too much attention.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Without decat the sound is very loud, too loud. Be Careful to your earing, loud bike could make medium earing loss.
Even you use earplug, yours neighboors will hate you every morning.
Imo decat could only be acceptable if you use long exhaust or oem with baffle.
My set up is ixrace without baffles with the catalizer and it s a perfect sound. I hate the catalizer look, but i don t want to disturbe every people where i ride and i don t want to lose more earing.

·
Registered
108 Posts
It's not just your neighbours that will hate you. I live in a village that is a destination for motorcyclists. Hundreds a day pass my house in the summer. That is, hundreds every day for months, from 8 am to 10 pm. Most are fine. The worst are Harley riders whose bike have no silencing. 2nd worst, youngsters on 125s with baffles removed, in the hope that their bikes sound bigger. They don't.
Most aftermarket cans with the baffles still in sound fine. Even my neighbours Scorpion can on his SuperDuke GT, which is really rather loud is acceptable.
Take out the baffles and you are pissing people off, even other riders. Loud pipes don't save lives. You might think that people will think you have a big penis if you have a big sounding bike. In reality, people will think you are a big penis, who is overcompensating.
Show some consideration.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Has anyone run a decat with a tune and the stock can that can speak to how loud that setup is?
I have a decat/Akra tune/stock silencer setup. It sounds quite good, and is loud-ish but nowhere close to being obnoxious. I tried a baffled slipon with the decat and it was just too much, both for riding without earplugs and annoying the neighbors.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I will post a video of a pass by once I decat and tune my 790 duke. So you may have a hint how a SC Project slip on, decat and tune sounds like.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts