KTM 790 Duke Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all!

Being an all season rider I have to endure some rain and road salt.
Having owned my 790 for 2 years now it had developed some surface rust which became a real eyesore. So I decided to try and deal with it today Would love to hear any tips and tricks to get my headers back to looking like new!

I used "Pro-Green MX" rust remover (found at my local dealership)

BEFORE:

AFTER:

After the treatment I used a bunch of ACF-50 and let it soak in. I dont know how long ACF-50 lasts on hot exhausts (its already burned off) but I heard it has a chemical reaction with the metal to help prevent corrosion.

Would love to hear more experienced peoples advice on getting my headers back shining. (i'm a total novice)

Cheers,
John

·
Registered
2020 KTM Duke, '72 Norton Commando, '62 BSA C-15, '82 Suzuki PE 175
135 Posts
I have a bunch of older bikes and I've found that if I clean the chrome with chrome polish, like Turtle Wax, and then use a pad made from kitchen wrap aluminum foil to rub down the surface rust that it really helps.
It's not so much the abrasion but a chemical reaction between the warmth from friction and the aluminum. Try it.
Bottoms Up!

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Hey all!

Being an all season rider I have to endure some rain and road salt.
Having owned my 790 for 2 years now it had developed some surface rust which became a real eyesore. So I decided to try and deal with it today Would love to hear any tips and tricks to get my headers back to looking like new!

I used "Pro-Green MX" rust remover (found at my local dealership)

View attachment 4939

BEFORE:
View attachment 4940

AFTER:

View attachment 4941

After the treatment I used a bunch of ACF-50 and let it soak in. I dont know how long ACF-50 lasts on hot exhausts (its already burned off) but I heard it has a chemical reaction with the metal to help prevent corrosion.

Would love to hear more experienced peoples advice on getting my headers back shining. (i'm a total novice)

Cheers,
John
Yee gods! - Was that all 100% rust or was there crud in there too?. It can be a bit of an issue with pipes.

They get a fine layer (a film really) of hot oxide (rust on steel) as they cool down, and any muck binds to it. This keeps moisture and muck right where you don't want it. And it builds up. Get some of those spirally stainless "no scratch" pan scourers. Elbow Grease in large pots. And a few litres of patience.

ACF-50 sort of relies on the ability to stay pretty much liquid for months. Least-ways the aircraft restorer who introduced me to the stuff so advised. But it can't hurt.

A good chin fairing/bellypan would catch some of the upward spray.

BUT - If you want to be able to ride more than clean.
I would whip the pipes off, and to a local fine abrasive blaster (not grit . glass beads!) have them cleaned up and then ceramic-ed.
Or have them chemically cleaned inside and out - and then ceramic-ed inside and out. Internal ceramic brings other benefits.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah bike was fairly clean (is due a deep clean) that was all just a thin layer of rust from road spray and salt.

Very cool! I had no idea ceramic coatings were a thing. Will absolutely be looking at that. Appreciate the advice and will give it a go in the coming weekends!

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Ohhh - CERAMIC COATINGS are VERY MUCH A THING. Interior coating forms a thermal barrier between gas and metal. This stops the gas heating the pipe, and in doing so, keeps the gas hot - and fast - this is a good thing. Exterior coatings are more an aesthetic choice in all honesty. But rust protection comes in the aesthetics package. ;)

I'm just glad I don't have to worry about UK salt (including sea air) any more.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts