KTM 790 Duke Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just joined this group and have not filled out my introductory info yet.

I have 2 Duke 690 bikes. I just got word that the new Duke 790 that I ordered was unpacked yesterday and prepared for delivery to me. They got it from another dealer. However, the clutch switch was damaged in the crate. The switch is on back order and searches with other dealers reveal there really are none available. My dealer (fair and reliable) suspects that this is not an uncommon occurrence (clutch switch failure or damage). My experience with the 690 bike parts on back order has not been good. Worst was the more than 4 months wait for a fuel tank to replace the one that leaked badly due to warping (under warranty). Could not use bike the whole time. The dealer said that the new 790 seems to quit when coming to a stop (why would this be?) and of course the starter interlock doesn't work but that's not a big deal. I also suspect the QuickShifter will not operate properly although I haven't ridden or seen the bike yet. I am trying to decide whether to (1) Pay for it and take it as is and wait for the part (could take a long time, dealer is not optimistic), (2) leave it with the dealer to see if something can be found in a reasonable time, or (3) abandon this one and wait until they get a new 890 in stock. I got a decent price on this one and they are taking my 2013 690 with problems in trade so the 890 would be a lot more money which I would rather not spend. However I am uneasy about accepting a new bike that I know already has problems.

I have really enjoyed my 2 Duke 690s, one for track days and the other on the street and they are worth the hassle, although it helps to have 2 ;)! One of the guys at the track kind of pointed me to the 790/890 route and I am happy with my decision.

Any advice is welcome, thanks.

·
Registered
485 Posts
most Parts seem to be on back order at the moment, I have bought an Os repair kit so I have it here just in case
if the extra money isn’t an issue wait and get the 890r some say there’s not a lot of difference but when I tested the 890 to me it was night and day different and mine is fairly well modded.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Clearly with your past experience you know that.this is the bike for you: 3rd times the charm!
OK, I decided ti go pick it up tomorrow. Always apprehensive when buying a shiny new motorcycle. You know, don't want to scratch it up and all that.

·
Registered
141 Posts
What was the difference between the 790 and 890 for price? If it is only a few grand, it is definitely worth the additional cost. The stonking midrange dwarfs the 790. If you are a bigger guy you will really appreciate. I don't track mine, but may some day, though unlikely, however it is likely the most fun streetbike I own. You really feel the extra power as they put it where you can really use it on the street. It is almost the hooligan bike the 1290 is but at about half the price. The already sharp handling of the 790 is even better on the 890. Buy once, cry once.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
OK, I did pick up the 790 and like it a lot. They didn't have a 890 available so I don't know the price difference. I will be riding the 790 on the street for quite a while and maybe do track days on it later. On my 690, the pegs were too low and forward for the track so I got rearsets. that worked well. The pegs on the 790 seem a little higher and further back, so maybe I will be able to just leave them on. Also, he seat height is a bit lower on the 790 the bars a little lower and more forward and the tank seems like a good shape for the knees. So with the riding position as it is and the great engine and whatever geometry the bike has, I just want to ride more aggressively and that's fine. The bumps are a bit harsher on the 790 out of the crate but it is definitely more planted and takes very little effort to point it where I want. Just a real joy to ride.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts