KTM 790 Duke Forum banner

21 - 40 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
208 Posts
The updated seal kit has a bevel cut into the spacer to better hold the oring against the shaft. I haven't heard if the seal itself is any different. 5200km on my original and not even a sweat from it. knocks on wood

116 link for the chain, yes. My CZ was junk like the rest. Distractingly noisy and needed tightening 3x in the 1400km before I gave up on warranty and put on a DID ERV7.

·
Registered
82 Posts
The updated seal kit has a bevel cut into the spacer to better hold the oring against the shaft. I haven't heard if the seal itself is any different. 5200km on my original and not even a sweat from it. knocks on wood

116 link for the chain, yes. My CZ was junk like the rest. Distractingly noisy and needed tightening 3x in the 1400km before I gave up on warranty and put on a DID ERV7.
Rick, i was in the same boat as you,I finally gave up on warranty doing anything for me and just ordered a new one on my own dime.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have been monitoring that CSS area....I believe I have the same leak...I have cleaned the hell outta that spot and chain....still after a hot ride I'm seeing this oil showing up. Guess I'm off to the dealer.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Does this look similar to the CSS leaks you all have experienced. Noticed it today at 288 mi. Hard to tell if it is coming from the gasket at the oil marks or dripping from CSS above.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Your picture looks a little different than mine did (I’ve posted a picture here before I believe). Mine wasn’t as horizontally spread across, but was dripping straight down to the lower lobes on the case. You could also see the sheen coming from behind the sprocket cover.
I throughly cleaned everything but still had it through break-in and then after the first oil change (went Motul). I took it to my dealer who ordered the updated kit. He installed and drove it twice throughout the week before I drove it home the 30 miles back this past Saturday. So far so good (crossing fingers).

·
Registered
208 Posts
Does this look similar to the CSS leaks you all have experienced. Noticed it today at 288 mi. Hard to tell if it is coming from the gasket at the oil marks or dripping from CSS above.
Step 1: Remove your front sprocket cover, clean out the gross mass of chain goop. Take a peek at your shaft seal, give it a wipe if it's wet. Ride it and see if it comes back. The factory chain lube melts out with temperature, looks like a CSS leak.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Just got back from dealer. It was a CSS leak, the seal looked like it was put in with vice grips!! I have put about 200 miles on new one...Looks fixed.

·
Registered
41 Posts
found the telltale droplet under the front filter screen. I had previously cleaned the chain and front sprocket cover of all that nasty grease. I think I will remove the front sprocket and inspect the CSS seal this week when I do the first oil change. Dealer is a month out on my appointment and I hate waiting that long!

·
Registered
28 Posts
Mines had a drop since the 1st ride. I never ran the stock chain. Bike had 6 miles when I got it, and had a big wad of grease in the cover already. Cleaned it, and installed a degreased DID before I rode it.

I gotta say that this is the only forum that I'm happy to see little, or no activity in. No new threads is good news!

I do love the bike though.....

·
Registered
14 Posts
Hi everyone, I have good news for everyone affected by countershaft oil leak issues. I have been one of those affected until recently. In my case they have changed the checkpoint 3 times and I always filtered again, only 40 kilometers were enough for the leak to reappear, so I decided to investigate a little and consult with knowledgeable people. The problem is in the poor quality of the original seal, as it cannot be fastened properly due to excess temperature or the simple design. The original seal is single lip and is very basic. According to the specifications of the original measurements, I found one that met and improved the original, it only varies 3 millimeters in depth that I anticipate that there is no problem because I am wearing it and I have already traveled 600 kilometers and there is no trace of leakage from the countershaft. I still don't believe the excellent result obtained and whenever I take the bike I already have the habit of looking to see if there has been a drop of oil and when I see that it is still dry like the Sahara, I am extremely happy. The seal to be put on is from the manufacturer corteco and the part number is 12012709B. I hope it will be of help to all those concerned and outraged by the recurrent leaks of the countershaft. Greetings to all! ✌

·
Registered
63 Posts
Hi everyone, I have good news for everyone affected by countershaft oil leak issues. I have been one of those affected until recently. In my case they have changed the checkpoint 3 times and I always filtered again, only 40 kilometers were enough for the leak to reappear, so I decided to investigate a little and consult with knowledgeable people. The problem is in the poor quality of the original seal, as it cannot be fastened properly due to excess temperature or the simple design. The original seal is single lip and is very basic. According to the specifications of the original measurements, I found one that met and improved the original, it only varies 3 millimeters in depth that I anticipate that there is no problem because I am wearing it and I have already traveled 600 kilometers and there is no trace of leakage from the countershaft. I still don't believe the excellent result obtained and whenever I take the bike I already have the habit of looking to see if there has been a drop of oil and when I see that it is still dry like the Sahara, I am extremely happy. The seal to be put on is from the manufacturer corteco and the part number is 12012709B. I hope it will be of help to all those concerned and outraged by the recurrent leaks of the countershaft. Greetings to all! ✌
Has anyone else tried this?

Anyone with newer bikes having this issue? My leak came back and it will be after the first of the year before it gets fixed again. Love the bike, not the leak.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Hello, if you put the crankshaft seal that I indicate, the leak ends. Including myself that I know of 3 people have already done this and 0 leaks. Do not hesitate!

·
Registered
2020 790 Duke
217 Posts
Mine has a slow seep. I have wiped off the side and bottom of the engine case several times now. It's never enough to drip on the floor but does make a mess on the engine case.

The fluid is definitely oil and not chain lube.

Will probably get mine done this spring.

PXL_20201222_163523056.jpg
PXL_20201222_163547885.jpg

·
Registered
63 Posts
Glad to hear that some haven't had the issue. Irritated that it persists for so many others. I was told by my tech that he reached out to KTM (week before Christmas) about this and they responded: "we know the issue exists with the 790/890 - we're working on a seal re-design/fix. Please tell your customer to be patient with us". I've got a little over a year of warranty left, we'll see if my patience lasts that long.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Thanks for this thread!!! As I've just ordered my new 890R, wondering if I should have all this upgraded from the outset?

Upgrade the CS seal with the above-mentioned Corteco seal (thanks W1d0!), replace the stock chain with a DID (other, better options?) chain (120 link cut down to match stock 116 links) and possibly replace the sprockets as well with a slightly different tooth-count? Any suggestions for the sprocket upgrade?

I'll be riding it daily for my commute through mountain twisties and would love to hear what you guys would recommend with a relatively healthy budget.......already planning on installing an SC Project slip-on (not sure if I'll decat it right away/at all...)

I'd REALLY like to avoid as many of the headaches you guys have had as possible so the more improvements I can make before it leaves the dealership the better. (Equally, my big brother is a Gixxer nut and has warned me for years against buying an Austrian motorcycle but I. JUST. HAD. TO. HAVE. THIS. DUKE! so this is also about not having to catch endless years of crap from him! LOL)

Thanks, by the way, for bringing so much of this to light! Very appreciative of any feedback anyone cares to give!

·
Registered
63 Posts
I want to try the Corteco seal, but doing it myself AND trying a non-KTM part will most likely void the warranty. If I were to try this on my own - any real issues (difficulties) in changing it out? Or is it pretty straight forward (nut, sprocket, o-ring, seal...)?

·
Registered
38 Posts
I want to try the Corteco seal, but doing it myself AND trying a non-KTM part will most likely void the warranty. If I were to try this on my own - any real issues (difficulties) in changing it out? Or is it pretty straight forward (nut, sprocket, o-ring, seal...)?
The only part of the warranty it would void is the crankshaft seal. Even then, if you took it to a KTM dealer for a leaking CSS, they'd probably much rather replace the seal (OEM or not) and get paid by KTM for the work than start fighting with you about a non-OEM seal - which they'd likely not notice anyway.

I have a deep-seated lack of faith in dealer mechanics and imagine they'd put the bike in 1st gear, blast the CS nut off with an impact gun, gouge the engine case as they yanked out the old seal, then impact gun on the CS nut. So I'd much rather do the work myself.
I've just ordered the Corteco seal. Will post my results. Thanks @W1d0 for the tip!

21 - 40 of 55 Posts