KTM 790 Duke Forum banner
1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just out of curiosity, wondering how many have experienced this issue repeatedly. I had mine fixed at the first service, and subsequently about ~3000kms since then with no issues - a friend of mine however, is on is FOURTH replacement.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Just noticed this on mine at 200km on the bike, saw oil on my garage floor. Dealer never heard of these issues. They ordered the parts, but backordered till August :( a bit disappointed!

·
Registered
92 Posts
Looking around and seeing how many people post about it, it seems like a super common thing on both the 890 and 790 bikes. I believe that there was a "replacement" for it, but in most peoples cases it seams like it doesn't actually fix it. In my experience, my bike would weep right from the first ride home the dealership. Since then the chain has stretched a lot, and i run it a bit looser than what spec calls for. Do note that its still not "loose", just not AS tight as the spec calls for. I think its just too much pressure from the chain putting stress on the counter shaft and bearings and distorting the seal just ever so slightly.

·
Cry Baby
158 Posts
My bike now has 3300 miles on it... no leaks. Like many others, when that cheezy CZ chain was on there it would throw lube which melted and dropped off the oil filter and oil screen housings. It looked like a CS seal leak.

When I replaced the chain and sprockets, I cleaned behind the CS sprocket thoroughly and installed the new sprockets and chain. I also cleaned the inside of the CS sprocket cover, and I cleaned the new chain thoroughly too with kerosene because it had that nasty white grease all over it.

Just got back from a 200 mile plus ride in warm weather, and there is no oil sheen or liquid down there any more. I think dealers are replacing good seals with good seals but the seals are not the problem. That crap CZ chain with all the excess lube on the outside and none inside where it counts is the problem.

·
Super Moderator
'20 Street Triple 765
639 Posts
My bike now has 3300 miles on it... no leaks. Like many others, when that cheezy CZ chain was on there it would throw lube which melted and dropped off the oil filter and oil screen housings. It looked like a CS seal leak.

When I replaced the chain and sprockets, I cleaned behind the CS sprocket thoroughly and installed the new sprockets and chain. I also cleaned the inside of the CS sprocket cover, and I cleaned the new chain thoroughly too with kerosene because it had that nasty white grease all over it.

Just got back from a 200 mile plus ride in warm weather, and there is no oil sheen or liquid down there any more. I think dealers are replacing good seals with good seals but the seals are not the problem. That crap CZ chain with all the excess lube on the outside and none inside where it counts is the problem.
That seems logical, and was my dealers thought process as well WITH MY THIRD REPLACEMENT 3 weeks ago however after cleaning it all including the excess grease from installing said 3rd replacement - mine still leaks.

@jaydeeCDN and I went on a trip 2 weeks ago - both on our 890R's - same roads, same speeds, same conditions, and we both lubed and cleaned our chains daily with the same chain lube. Mine leaked again after day #1 (both CSS's were replaced and cleaned just before our trip at the same dealer) and his - is bone dry. It's clearly engine oil and not melting install grease, or chain lube although on CSS #2 it was so bad and there was so much build up the pic of it showed both melting lube AND engine oil mixed together streaming down to drip near the screen bolts. Soooo, that theory has been confidently put to rest - the leak is from the seal.

@meldy54 - I've also tried the chain issue and we thought that was possible as well but after trying to keep it at the slack end of the recommended tension - no positive effect either - still leaks - multiple seals.

I'm on 4 replacement "kits" now - so the 5th seal since taking delivery. Not impressed.

My personal theory is a machining issue with the seals mating surface - the seals can't all be defective so perhaps the issue is on the case that's machined to fit the seal - who knows.

I picked mine up this AM from the dealer after seal #4 (and other things) were replaced and was told they are now on back order worldwide until November - shitty, I've averaged a new seal every 10 days of ownership - this is gonna suck.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Just out of curiosity, wondering how many have experienced this issue repeatedly. I had mine fixed at the first service, and subsequently about ~3000kms since then with no issues - a friend of mine however, is on is FOURTH replacement.
I have done around 17k without a problem but reading various comments on different sites, it is obvious that many owners still don’t understand how you are supposed to adjust the chain on 790s (i.e on paddock stand, lower chain run within 2-5mm of underside of swingarm etc)

·
Registered
66 Posts
I have had the leak. I did the recommended deep clean with kerosene of the chain, took the sprocket cover off and cleaned EVERYTHING off. Lightly lubed with dry lube...same leaking as before. Took to dealer, they verified CSS leak, changing it right now. Fingers crossed it's a "one and done".

·
Registered
58 Posts
I had the leak from new, but had the seal replaced at the first service and it has been bone dry since then (about 1000miles since the repair). My dealer mentioned that the replacement part had to be ordered and has an updated part number and is slightly different from the original. It's possible that some dealers have old stock on the selves and are replacing with that? Just a thought, but worth an ask to your dealers if still having the problem after replacement.

Reactions: Van

·
Registered
39 Posts
I had the leak from new, but had the seal replaced at the first service and it has been bone dry since then (about 1000miles since the repair). My dealer mentioned that the replacement part had to be ordered and has an updated part number and is slightly different from the original. It's possible that some dealers have old stock on the selves and are replacing with that? Just a thought, but worth an ask to your dealers if still having the problem after replacement.
Thanks John.

i gave the dealer the part # #00050000992 @YoungLion gave on another thread, thanks! This is backordered for awhile, crazy! They then searched to order them individually and got a quicker eta to this Monday. So we’ll see! I’ll report back any info. Take care all!

·
Registered
92 Posts
This has actually been a great thread! for those guys who have changed it out with either a replacement, or the new part, what was your leak like? Was it just enough to get the case wet and a few drips on the ground, or an actual hard leak? Interesting it seamed to only be when the bike is parked after a ride, might be a deeper problem than the actual seal? Wonder if its a temperature expansion problem (IE the cases expanding differently than the seal and bearings used when the bike comes up to temp) That would be some seriously bad engineering. As a fellow engineer, this is a super disapointing problem on KTMs part. But, with the rest of the bike seaming pretty reliable, its a small price to pay i guess

·
Registered
100 Posts
I also had the leak at 500k and the seal was replaced at my first service. My 790 now has 12 k on it and hasn’t leaked since. The bigger problem was the crap chain.

·
Cry Baby
158 Posts
If you pull the countershaft sprocket and look at the back of it you can tell if the seal is bad. If the lube is throwing out from the countershaft itself it will be evident on the sprocket, especially on the back. If the countershaft and back of the sprocket are clean, it's not coming from the seal.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I had the leak from new, but had the seal replaced at the first service and it has been bone dry since then (about 1000miles since the repair). My dealer mentioned that the replacement part had to be ordered and has an updated part number and is slightly different from the original.
this

·
Registered
100 Posts
I just replaced my chain, got a 120 link chain but the old one was actually 116 , and new one was also cut to that. CZ chain is junk.

1 - 20 of 64 Posts