KTM 790 Duke Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
189 Posts
Doesn't come standard on the 790 but it's interesting to see the actual cruise control icon on the 790 dash. Looks like it was a planned feature than got canned later on in development.

I know the 790 Adventure bikes have a cruise control option which is a handlebar switch upgrade and activated through the KTM dealer. Seems like it would be possible to add it to our bikes if it can be turned on by the dealership. I just don't know if the option exists on their diagnostic tablet. I'm good friends with my local dealer and I'll see if there's more I can find out.

·
Premium Member
282 Posts
Although unconnected with cruise control, it would seem that some dash features don't get mentioned. A few weeks ago, I had a large snowflake icon pop up in the screen warning me of ice. Try as I may, I couldn't find any reference to it in the manual. I went on line and found the 790 Adventure manual and it's definitely referred to in that. Has anyone else seen an ice warning on their dash?

·
Premium Member
282 Posts
The manual does mention a general warning note with the triangle symbol which I have seen (more than once with ice) which will appear on the display. Not very much else mentioned though.
Yep, when I finally figured how to get rid of the big snowflake icon and returned the screen to its normal configuration, the general warning symbol stayed lit up until the ambient temperature increased. Gave me a moment's panic until I cottoned on! :grin:

·
Registered
140 Posts
cruise control would be pretty awesome

not really in the same class but i can really recommend these:
https://www.mcas.com.au/shop/item/xtech-throttle-rest-universal?gclid=Cj0KCQjwho7rBRDxARIsAJ5nhFpap9sv9WkqBUH9jqv9BpSu1p9W-gP72HWXdgts4Ng62DCZg206T_EaAs-6EALw_wcB

it turns freely upwards and locks downwards, so you lift it up then rest your palm on it and the weight of you hand holds the throttle open. no need for engaging the fingers. When you're done simply lift it up and over and it sits in the no mans land between the end of your fingers and your palm.

i'm not really explaining it very well but for long journeys on my old bike it was great.

·
Super-Moderator
367 Posts
The manual does mention a general warning note with the triangle symbol which I have seen (more than once with ice) which will appear on the display. Not very much else mentioned though.
Page 116 mentions it briefly

If the ice warning appears in the combination instrument, the roads may be icy. Adjust your speed to the road conditions.
These are very "handy" for longer journeys, see what I did there :grin: essentially acts as a palm rest.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Oh yes @magnets - I've ridden with these for years and really like them, just the pressure from the heel of your hand is enough to control the throttle so really comfortable for all day riding.

It only takes a couple of rides to get used to it then you don't even think about it once you get it in the perfect position for your hand / right glove.

You can find them as "Cramp Buster" or "Throttle Assist" on Amazon (and ebay) - they are really cheap and all much the same really, just a piece of nylon or ABS plastic.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Guys,

I heard that there is an opion which needs to only enabling to have cruise control in Duke 790, but I don't know if you notice in this youtube movie there is an Duke 790 dashboard with WORKING cruise control.

·
Super-Moderator
367 Posts
Doesn't the 790 ADV have the same dash with optional cruise control?

It would be nice, but I think if they were going to offer it it would be available by now, maybe saving it for the 890R :grin: lol

·
Registered
140 Posts
Guys,

I heard that there is an opion which needs to only enabling to have cruise control in Duke 790, but I don't know if you notice in this youtube movie there is an Duke 790 dashboard with WORKING cruise control.

@devil3
What makes you think it's working? the video shows a demo of the dashboard pod not on the actual bike. And even in the video we can see it's not actually working, the speed is going down even though the CC is lit.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
@magnets I don't know if this is function which is implemented and disabled but I saw on a few pictures dashboard with this option.
Please have a look at this page below. There is for sure 790 Duke with this function.

https://www.ktm.com/en/naked/790-duke/ergonomics-comfort

Also I wrote post to KTM Poland and they state that this option is dedicated orginally for KTM 790 ADVENTURE but... I should prepare VIN of my bike and contact with my local dealer and based on the software verison they will provide me final answer.

So if there is no hope, it is fine, but if KTM will enable this function after some customer pressure, I will be very happy... I guess you too.

·
Registered
140 Posts
@devil3
Again, that's not a real bike, that's a render, The dashboard is missing the light sensor, the surround is missing the inset and of course the bike isn't moving yet states 110km/h

Having said that, when the bike was 'launched' or shown off at the motor show, the CC icon was included
https://paultan.org/2017/11/21/2017-eicma-ktm-790-duke-the-scalpel-but-is-the-ktm-790-adventure-r-off-roader-coming-soon/2017-eicma-ktm-790-duke-the-scalpel-6/

so who knows, maybe they will enable the feature if it exists, but i'm not holding my breath. If it was already on the bike, and it worked, why would they not enable it?

KTM my ride sucks balls yet they still tried to charge people for that.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Might there be a 790 Duke GT on the horizon which will have this enabled. Possibly 2020 show season. to be honest I spend most of my time in the twisties so lengthy runs in a straight line are very few and far between. To be frank IMO I find it a little unneccessary in the UK on any bike.

·
Registered
307 Posts
I was looking at the 890 and found this power part to add cruise control. One would think it's the same thing...

https://www.ktm.com/en/naked/890-duke-r/ergonomics-comfort
I'm sure our ECU supports it, it's just not an unlocked feature. Very frustrating, but we do it in cpu manufacturing too. We used to sell Intel 486 processors in two flavors, one with floating point unit, one without... but they were sold the same chip. Just one had the FPU disabled via fuses.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts