KTM 790 Duke Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, new to the forum and Duke ownership. Thanks for having me.
I pick up the bike next week and while I've organised a rad guard, front axle sliders and rear sliders/bobbins I'm undecided whether to go crash knobs and case protection or bars (ie Givi or Hepco & Becker). Any suggestions, real world experience from drops (hopefully not too many of you!) Much appreciated.

·
Registered
790 Duke 2020
21 Posts
Hi all, new to the forum and Duke ownership. Thanks for having me.
I pick up the bike next week and while I've organised a rad guard, front axle sliders and rear sliders/bobbins I'm undecided whether to go crash knobs and case protection or bars (ie Givi or Hepco & Becker). Any suggestions, real world experience from drops (hopefully not too many of you!) Much appreciated.

View attachment 5096
I decided to fit Givi engine bars to mine. If the bike falls over at standstill, these bars seem to offer good shielding for the crankcases and hopefully tank. Even a 'drop' on the move would be protected.
I have always been concerned that crash bobbins offer limited and selective protection only. Also they pose a risk, if the bike is dropped when moving, that the leverage exerted through the bobbins could break engine casings or twist the frame.
Small caveat - I had to elongate one of the Givi fixing holes to make it align properly with the frame. Disappointing but fixable.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I decided to fit Givi engine bars to mine. If the bike falls over at standstill, these bars seem to offer good shielding for the crankcases and hopefully tank. Even a 'drop' on the move would be protected.
I have always been concerned that crash bobbins offer limited and selective protection only. Also they pose a risk, if the bike is dropped when moving, that the leverage exerted through the bobbins could break engine casings or twist the frame.
Small caveat - I had to elongate one of the Givi fixing holes to make it align properly with the frame. Disappointing but fixable.
@Oldwisedude thanks for the response. Any issues with boot,shin clearances?

·
Registered
790 Duke 2020
21 Posts
No issues for me at all, but I only take boots of size 42 euro (8 UK). However, the thoughtfully shaped lower bars are cleverly shaped to give good boot clearance plus protection for the engine cases. I doubt that shin/boot clearance would be an issue.
The Hepco and Becker are well made but seem to sit lower on its bottom bars, and looks more likely to interfere with boots. It also seems to leave the cases more exposed than the Givi.
Ibex seems to offer good boot clearance :-
RD Moto looks like a seriously strong bar. However, it seems that coolant pipes have to be removed to install it, plus it is much more expensive:-
RD also uses a high frame fixing near to where your knees will be, which might be an issue for some.
Much as I like most SW Motech stuff, I was not convinced that their crash bar would protect the crankcases enough:-
Use the "Search" box in this forum and troll through previous posts. There is a lot of helpful info there. Good luck.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No issues for me at all, but I only take boots of size 42 euro (8 UK). However, the thoughtfully shaped lower bars are cleverly shaped to give good boot clearance plus protection for the engine cases. I doubt that shin/boot clearance would be an issue.
The Hepco and Becker are well made but seem to sit lower on its bottom bars, and looks more likely to interfere with boots. It also seems to leave the cases more exposed than the Givi.
Ibex seems to offer good boot clearance :-
RD Moto looks like a seriously strong bar. However, it seems that coolant pipes have to be removed to install it, plus it is much more expensive:-
RD also uses a high frame fixing near to where your knees will be, which might be an issue for some.
Much as I like most SW Motech stuff, I was not convinced that their crash bar would protect the crankcases enough:-
Use the "Search" box in this forum and troll through previous posts. There is a lot of helpful info there. Good luck.
@Oldwisedude thanks for the detailed response. Ride safe.

·
Registered
790 Duke 2020
21 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Here are some photos, hopefully showing the curvy shape of the Givi bars and how they offer some protection for the crankcases, plus an indication of boot clearances.

@Oldwisedude thanks so much for taking the time to post these. Really appreciate your trouble. If you've got one of the whole bike from front or side handy that would be great also. Cheers

1 - 9 of 9 Posts