KTM 790 Duke Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys and gals; I'm new here so this is my first post and unfortunately it's a terrible one. I'm currently having problems with my 790; it's not letting me start the bike at all. When I turn the ignition on and wait for the electronics (fuel pump etc) to clear, everything looks normal. But when I tap the start button it'll try to start and turnover but nothing and then it'll pop up with "MTC failure". The battery is good the fuses are good but I'm at a loss here. Can anyone help?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes I tried switching the MTC/MSR off, switching modes, unplugging the fuses etc etc. Still nothing. Weird thing is once you try to start it and it doesn't start it won't even let you swap to a different mode after that.

·
Registered
415 Posts
Yes I tried switching the MTC/MSR off, switching modes, unplugging the fuses etc etc. Still nothing. Weird thing is once you try to start it and it doesn't start it won't even let you swap to a different mode after that.
MTC failure doesn't always mean its the MTC causing the problem, it could be something simple like a low battery charge. disconnect the positive terminal on the battery, charge over night, then reconnect. it may clear any faults etc. (meant to disconnect negative terminal first so no risk of shorting out i know, but I'm careful:wink:) good luck.

·
Registered
110 Posts
MTC failure doesn't always mean its the MTC causing the problem, it could be something simple like a low battery charge. disconnect the positive terminal on the battery, charge over night, then reconnect. it may clear any faults etc. (meant to disconnect negative terminal first so no risk of shorting out i know, but I'm careful:wink:) good luck.
This has been my experience on modern bikes with lots of electronics. They tend to throw a lot of errors with a low battery.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
MTC failure doesn't always mean its the MTC causing the problem, it could be something simple like a low battery charge. disconnect the positive terminal on the battery, charge over night, then reconnect. it may clear any faults etc. (meant to disconnect negative terminal first so no risk of shorting out i know, but I'm careful
) good luck.
This has been my experience on modern bikes with lots of electronics. They tend to throw a lot of errors with a low battery.
Yes I've charged the battery a number of times. Simply because of all the starting I've been trying to do. It has drained it so I would charge it back up to 100% and try again so the battery is good

·
Registered
110 Posts
Yes I've charged the battery a number of times. Simply because of all the starting I've been trying to do. It has drained it so I would charge it back up to 100% and try again so the battery is good
That can be misleading sometimes as the battery voltage may drop suddenly while attempting to start the bike. This happens a lot of faulty batteries.

Have you had the battery load tested?

I would also check the battery terminals as this is a known issue on many bikes as well.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
That can be misleading sometimes as the battery voltage may drop suddenly while attempting to start the bike. This happens a lot of faulty batteries.

Have you had the battery load tested?

I would also check the battery terminals as this is a known issue on many bikes as well.

Hmmm, good point. I will check on that tomorrow.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Okay so I had it towed to the shop and the results are in. The failure was something called the "pulse generator". Which I've never heard of until now. From what I've gathered from Google it has something to do with giving the spark plugs its spark or something stupid like that. So now it's hurry up and wait until the parts come in.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Okay so I had it towed to the shop and the results are in. The failure was something called the "pulse generator". Which I've never heard of until now. From what I've gathered from Google it has something to do with giving the spark plugs its spark or something stupid like that. So now it's hurry up and wait until the parts come in.
Interesting, if you get any paperwork with part numbers on it would you mind sharing?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Interesting, if you get any paperwork with part numbers on it would you mind sharing?
No I don't mind sharing at all. However, a correction is needed. I received bad info from a staff member. It's not A/The Pulse Generator; it's the "Crank Position Sensor".

1 - 19 of 19 Posts