KTM 790 Duke Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So they have been taking place over the last few months, but I'm almost there. Bought a used orange model in March from a forum member and have been fiddling
ever since. Got some great advice from a few of the regulars here, thanks guys, and have been trying to get my 790 as close as I can to an 890. I'm still not up to
the price of a new one and I've had all the fun of building/modding it myself. Works for me. Have my 1st track day scheduled in a few weeks.
Here's a list, so far:
  • Bar end mirrors
  • Tail tidy
  • PP +20 seat
  • R22 Bridgestones
  • EBC EPFA 244HH pads
  • Brembo RCS 19 M/C
  • M4 decat and ChiCom can
  • changed steering damper oil to 15W
  • Pro Taper low bars
  • Andreani fork inserts
  • have had Nitron shock on order since May, expecting any day now
  • Shorty levers
  • Shorai battery
  • Ft and rear Woodcraft axle sliders
  • Woodcraft crash bars
  • 15T sprocket
  • DID 520ERV3 chain
  • Supersprox alum/steel 41T sprocket
  • PC5 from Rottweiler
  • Power plate from Rottweiler
  • ABS dongle
  • Pillion seat cover
  • misc grip tape, stickers and rim tape
  • Denali horn
  • Adjustable foot pegs
  • Radiator guard
  • LED turn signals FT and Rear that also act as running lights
  • resistors from Custom LED to eliminate bulb failure light for above
  • Ft number plate to replace headlight on track days (from Yamaha dirt bike)

I will not say I'm done, as that is impossible with a KTM. As has been said, "Ready to Race" is far from the truth. This is my 6th one. Modded and tracked/raced a 690 for about 5 years. Bought a 1290 SDR last year and loved the power, but it felt like a truck compared to the 790. Sold it and bought this one. I just weighed it and I'm about 380 lbs with a 1/2 tank of fuel. Not quite where my 690 was, but it feels almost as light. Important to me at my advanced age!

Biggest changes felt were the brake mods, PC5 and forks. (Never rode it withe stock tires) Shock should help too, when I get it. I tried a Booster Plug first, but that didn't do as much as I was hoping. I installed the PC5, with the Rotty maps, and Power Plate at the same time and that really woke things up. In sport throttle mode, it's almost to much for the street, as the power is instant. Backed it off to street and, with the gearing change, it's a great road bike now. Pulls everywhere. Can't wait to get it on a track and experiment with sport and track modes.

The adjustable foot pegs really helped my knees as well. i can rotate them up for track days or down a bit for street hooning.

I have not ridden an 890 yet, maybe I shouldn't, but I am very happy with the results on this one so far.

Some pics. If anyone has any questions or needs links, fire away.

a d m i n .
Very nice additions!

...and the Pankl sticker? Going wt Ti Con rods/piston kit? 馃槏

Registered
Very nice additions!

...and the Pankl sticker? Going wt Ti Con rods/piston kit? 馃槏
Thought I remember reading that the stock rods & pistons in the 790 are made by Pankl. I might be mistaken, but thought so. I know they're forged and "cracked" aluminum rods, which is a fairly unusual/sophisticated process.

On the other hand, it's entirely possible I'm losing my mind.

Registered
2020 KTM Duke, '72 Norton Commando, '62 BSA C-15, '82 Suzuki PE 175
So they have been taking place over the last few months, but I'm almost there. Bought a used orange model in March from a forum member and have been fiddling
ever since. Got some great advice from a few of the regulars here, thanks guys, and have been trying to get my 790 as close as I can to an 890. I'm still not up to
the price of a new one and I've had all the fun of building/modding it myself. Works for me. Have my 1st track day scheduled in a few weeks.
Here's a list, so far:
  • Bar end mirrors
  • Tail tidy
  • PP +20 seat
  • R22 Bridgestones
  • EBC EPFA 244HH pads
  • Brembo RCS 19 M/C
  • Pro Taper low bars
  • Andreani fork inserts
  • Shorty levers
  • Shorai battery
  • Woodcraft crash bars
  • 15T sprocket
  • DID 520ERV3 chain
  • PC5 from Rottweiler
  • ABS dongle
  • Pillion seat cover
  • Denali horn
  • Adjustable foot pegs
  • Radiator guard
I will not say I'm done, as that is impossible with a KTM. As has been said, "Ready to Race" is far from the truth. This is my 6th one. Modded and tracked/raced a 690 for about 5 years. Bought a 1290 SDR last year and loved the power, but it felt like a truck compared to the 790. Sold it and bought this one. I just weighed it and I'm about 380 lbs with a 1/2 tank of fuel. Not quite where my 690 was, but it feels almost as light. Important to me at my advanced age!

Biggest changes felt were the brake mods, PC5 and forks. (Never rode it withe stock tires) Shock should help too, when I get it. I tried a Booster Plug first, but that didn't do as much as I was hoping. I installed the PC5, with the Rotty maps, and Power Plate at the same time and that really woke things up. In sport throttle mode, it's almost to much for the street, as the power is instant. Backed it off to street and, with the gearing change, it's a great road bike now. Pulls everywhere. Can't wait to get it on a track and experiment with sport and track modes.

The adjustable foot pegs really helped my knees as well. i can rotate them up for track days or down a bit for street hooning.

I have not ridden an 890 yet, maybe I shouldn't, but I am very happy with the results on this one so far.

Number 26, REPRESENT!

Registered
2020 Duke 790
Here's a list, so far:
  • Bar end mirrors
  • Tail tidy
  • PP +20 seat
  • R22 Bridgestones
  • EBC EPFA 244HH pads
  • Brembo RCS 19 M/C
  • Pro Taper low bars
  • Andreani fork inserts
  • Shorty levers
  • Shorai battery
  • Woodcraft crash bars
  • 15T sprocket
  • DID 520ERV3 chain
  • PC5 from Rottweiler
  • ABS dongle
  • Pillion seat cover
  • Denali horn
  • Adjustable foot pegs
  • Radiator guard

Registered
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
@flysaab great build! Curious, which CustomLed resistors did you purchase? And did you setup for each blinker or 2 is enough? Thanks!
They are listed as the ones for 10W bulbs. I first tried 2 for both ft and rear, and no joy. Wired in 2 more and works fine.

Visibilty, day or night, is greatly improved because you now have 3 lights on constantly. I feel cagers notice you more due to increased depth perception.

That's my theory anyway.

Super Moderator
Nice list. Beautiful bike.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Can you describe what the Andreani fork inserts did for you?
I had them on my 690 as well and I when pushing hard, esp at a track day, the ft end feels much more planted. I just have more confidence when trail braking and
in transition. The springs are now spec'd for my weight and I can get the sag numbers I want for street or track. If you just ride on the street and stay sane, the stock
stuff works OK, in my opinion. I haven't ridden an 890 yet, so I cannot compare to the giddy up version WP forks, but I'm satisfied with what I have.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Looks great! Which screen is that?
Ermax sport screen. It was on it when I bought it, so I cannot give you a source. Takes some of the blast off the chest and will probly help keep me on the thing at
100+ speeds when trying to get tucked in on the track straights. It looks better w/out it, but I need the functionality.

Super Moderator
Well, the wife might be right. The investment can hardly be justified.

Tell her its instead of paying $250/hr for a shrink.

Reactions: flysaab
1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.