KTM 790 Duke Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Countershaft seal leakage

Anybody else have this problem? Mine only has just over 500 k on it and it's leaking. still breaking it in.
I seem to have read somewhere that this is an issue with the 790.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Yup, mine was replaced last week. Not a long or complicated job as far as i can tell and dealers likely to be well aware.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Ktm seem to struggle with this area, the husky 701’s have the same common problem.
When i’ve owned Ktm enduros, they did it too.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Wondering if the replacement fixes the problem? Was reading in RIDE magazine of a test of the 790 against the FZ9, the owners of two 790's also complained of the seal leaking and one guy having had it replaced twice. I know it's minor issue and will be replaced by warranty ,but how many times?

·
Registered
52 Posts
Mine was leaking as well from engine sprocket. I noticed after few thousand miles. It was fixed under warranty at around 4k miles. Now im at 8k miles and seems to be ok but now I got small leak from the gasket at the top of the engine cover. Booked it for service and they will have a look. Also had a coolant leak and that was fixed at around 6k miles or something dont remember. Now its leaking coolant from the same spot again. Dealer will have a look at it when they do the service.

Other than that I love the bike. 😊

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I really like the bike as well. And that's coming from a 1290 GT😬
What I don't like is oil leakage,never had that problem before over 7 previous LC8's .
Took the countershaft cover today after a decent ride, not sure where it's leaking though. Was oil there for sure,but did not see a trail down from the output shaft seal. Going in for its 1000 k service this week and will point it out to the dealership.

·
VIP member
455 Posts
This afternoon, I noticed a drop of oil on the floor and found seepage on the left side of the engine. Since it's directly under the countershaft, I initially thought it just might be from the chain. However, there's enough seepage to develop a drop or two on the bottom of the engine.

Anyone else seen this?

PS. You'll also notice in my photo that the chain is dry (my bad). So, the oil must be coming from somewhere else.

Attachments

·
A d m i n .
151,017 Posts
This afternoon, I noticed a drop of oil on the floor and found seepage on the left side of the engine. Since it's directly under the countershaft, I initially thought it just might be from the chain. However, there's enough seepage to develop a drop or two on the bottom of the engine.

Anyone else seen this?

PS. You'll also notice in my photo that the chain is dry (my bad). So, the oil must be coming from somewhere else.

Below is a link to a post from owners citing that exact observation. IIRC they brought it in for an updated counter-shaft seal replacement.

https://www.790dukeforum.com/forum/538-790-duke-engine-technical-discussion/562-leaking-output-seal.html

·
A d m i n .
151,017 Posts
Just got my bike back from it's first service, and they did replace the output shaft seal.
Hope that fixes the problem for good.
Please keep us informed of any changes.

That goes for everyone here, it's best if we talk about these things so we can keep them covered by the Factory. :wink:

·
Registered
6 Posts
Mine Stopped Leaking at 2,500 Miles

My 3K mile 790D I bought in July of this year has leaked from day 2 of ownership (I found it when doing the first service oil change at 580 miles). I bought the bike and participate in a 10 day 1,700 mile group ride so I just kept wiping the area dry most times I stopped. It was not a substantial leak but enough to "shine" a good portion of the cases and oil pan if left uncleaned for over 400 miles.

I causally verified the chain adjustment was set accurately when I bought the bike but I didn't install swingarm spools until after 2K miles so I could not verify the adjustment exactly as instructed in the manual. The chain always looks excessively slack so I was pretty surprised to find it was about an 1/8" tight when I finally checked it on the rear stand. I made the small adjustment and about 300 miles later there was no more leak. Maybe a very tension-sensitive seal?

KEB

·
Super-Moderator
'20 890R
489 Posts
I just booked my appt with the dealer to replace my seal - started leaking from new 3 months ago and has progressively gotten a little worse as time went on - fork seals are the same so hopefully KTM will honor that under warranty as well.

·
A d m i n .
151,017 Posts
I just booked my appt with the dealer to replace my seal - started leaking from new 3 months ago and has progressively gotten a little worse as time went on - fork seals are the same so hopefully KTM will honor that under warranty as well.
Oh for sure they should honor it.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts