KTM 790 Duke Forum banner

Buy the Real Deal item, or far less pricey Copy?

• Original: I'm looking for quality engineering, I want the real deal, I don’t mind throwing my $ awa

Votes: 9 81.8%
  • Counterfeit: I'm cool with paying a fraction of the price for something that may/not function/fit c

Votes: 2 18.2%

• Total voters
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
A d m i n .
151,129 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm curious about this, as I've never purchased one.

. Why do many premium exhausts cost $500-800?, (R&D, cost of materials).

Many of these chinese copies only cost $75-200-, do they sound just as good?

Then there is the ethical question:

Let’s say for example, a company that produces counterfeit,, buys a SC1. They reverse engineer it, manufacturer it with less costly components, (i.e. steel vs titanium), produces it en mass, and throws them onto Alibaba, Amazon, and Ebay.

Note: No political comments needed.
I'm more interested in your thoughts on the illegal copying of premium goods, at discounted prices.
This is a judgement free zone, everyone is entitled to their opinion, don't be shy. :)

·
Registered
283 Posts
I never have and wouldn’t knowingly, it’s one thing making cheap but trying to pass them off as something they’re not is out of order.
I’m not saying they’re no good but just brand them as something different and sell cheap I’m sure people would still buy them.
Not sure the quality and last ability would match the well known branded stuff tho.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Original and high quality parts for me. I do agree that the prices of exhausts can be ridiculous but I wouldn't swap out even my factory can (which actually sounds and looks pretty good on the 790 IMO) with a sub-par product. Counterfeit parts where they merely copy the design and slap a manufacturers sticker on it are the worst. Politics aside, that's not right at all and buying them is only supporting illegitimate practices.

The whole point of modifying a bike for me is to improve on what the OEM has done and I feel that cheap parts reduce the quality of the entire bike. This goes for all parts, not just exhausts.

·
Registered
113 Posts
I never have and wouldn’t knowingly, it’s one thing making cheap but trying to pass them off as something they’re not is out of order.
I’m not saying they’re no good but just brand them as something different and sell cheap I’m sure people would still buy them.
Not sure the quality and last ability would match the well known branded stuff tho.
x2.
It's also not worth the trouble of dealing with potential issues.
Buying from a brand i'm familiar with and sources I trust are MASSIVE motivators.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I bought an Aliexpress radiator guard, and it is surprisingly good quality. Fitment is great - sits solidly and works just as it should. However, I don't think I'd go for a knock-off slip-on. There are technical considerations such as inadequate or excessive back-pressure, which at best could cause a loss of power, but possibly engine damage too? I'm happy to be corrected on this, but it would definitely concern me.

·
Super-Member
606 Posts
I wouldn't buy something like that for the same reasons. Something else like a radiator guard I have no problem with. I wouldn't compromise on safety (sliders) or mechanical components! Knock off plastics, cowls, mirrors.......sure, whatever.

·
Super-Moderator
578 Posts
I am buying a lot off eBay that is not counterfeit, just Chinese copies (without the brand name). So far had very good experience with levers, foot-pegs, rear-sets and even fairings (for my CBR1000RR, after I crashed and broke the beautiful OEM fairings).

As for exhausts, I did buy a Delkevic slip-on for the ZX6R. Looked good, sounded very good and cost around $250.

I am not looking for the brand, necessarily, so I am not sure that I can answer the question above, directly. I always made sure that fit and function are perfect. If not, it goes back. I don't really think that aluminium CNC parts should cost 5X just because they are coming from Rizoma, Sato, Woodcraft, etc...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts