KTM 790 Duke Forum banner
21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
I don’t know if the system was bled I just got the bike used with 5k miles on it. It has been to the dealer at least a couple of times about the coolant leaking issue so i assume it is. Temp & fan running normal
Let bike get cold(like after overnight stand). Remove radiator cap and confirm radiator is full. If not full, tilt bike to right and remove bleed screw(top left of radiator), fill until only coolant(no air) from bleed hole, re-fit screw, back on side stand and top-uo radiator. Re-fit radiator cap and top up expansion bottle to max mark only. Start bike and allow to idle. After about 2 bars feel radiator..should be warming up evenly(both sides) until fan kicks in at 4 bars. If all that happens and still leaking, get radiator cap pressure tested or replace and maybe a cylinder leakage test(PK test) if possible.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Let bike get cold(like after overnight stand). Remove radiator cap and confirm radiator is full. If not full, tilt bike to right and remove bleed screw(top left of radiator), fill until only coolant(no air) from bleed hole, re-fit screw, back on side stand and top-uo radiator. Re-fit radiator cap and top up expansion bottle to max mark only. Start bike and allow to idle. After about 2 bars feel radiator..should be warming up evenly(both sides) until fan kicks in at 4 bars. If all that happens and still leaking, get radiator cap pressure tested or replace and maybe a cylinder leakage test(PK test) if possible.
Edit to above....fill expansion bottle to halfway to max mark.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Wanted to get some thoughts/opinions on this. My 790 had the oil cooler replaced about a month ago, and after I took it out for a ride this past weekend, I found it leaking coolant. Seems to be dripping down right centered between the headers when leaning on the kickstand. It ran down onto the O2 sensors and header. Could that be from the hose running off the left side of the radiator? It's too far from the overflow hose. Any ideas?

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Motorcycle Automotive exhaust
Motor vehicle Automotive tire Hood Product Automotive design

·
Registered
31 Posts
Thanks, MoHawk - I think you're right. I tightened up the hose clamp, they did not make that easy to get to. It's been slowly dripping all week while sitting there, so I'll know soon enough if that was the issue.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I went for a test ride today, and tightening the hose clamp seem to take care of that leak. But it was leaking rather aggressively from where the hose meets the water pump. There's a spring clamp there, so no way to tighten. How are people dealing with that? Replace the hose and clamps? I saw a few people on the forum talking about swapping in Samco hoses, but I didn't find any solutions to the spring clamps not doing the job.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Sounds strange that you are chasing one leak after the other(after cooling system repair). Aspecially aggressive leaks. Who did your previous repair on the oil cooler? Maybe take it back to them to check if they used a heavy sealant. You could have some restriction causing higher than normal pressure or they pressure tested the cooling system too high. Also, carefull not to over tighten hose clamps...it can damage hoses internally.

·
Registered
31 Posts
The coolant leak came back after the bike sat for another week, so I took the bike back to the dealership that did the oil cooler swap. The tech there noticed that there was a some seepage from the valve cover, so they ordered up a new gasket for me. Waiting on the part for that now, and the bike sitting in the garage slowing leaking coolant. I suspect that you're right MoHawk, and there's some root cause to it all that was triggered by the oil cooler repair.

21 - 31 of 31 Posts