KTM 790 Duke Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
415 Posts
Hose clamp on bottom of radiator, directly above drip marks. Try releasing clamp, twist rubber pipe back and forth then reconnect clamp.

·
A d m i n .
151,126 Posts
This is what greeted me this morning when I went to unload he 790 from my truck. Time to start looking for the source.

Sigh...
Thankfully it's not oil. :grin:

I read in several places that people had issues with a hose clamp leaking.

I've often replaced stock clamps with worm clamps, then dremil a groove across (the phillips head), and twist some safety wire through it for no worries. :smile:

·
Registered
52 Posts
Mine leaked coolant just like that for a while after I would ride it hard. Now it leaks a single drop (about the size of a US dime) of what feels like oil from the coolant drip hose after pretty much every ride no matter how I ride it. The bike seems to be overfilled with oil (just a small bubble in the sight glass after the engine is brought to temp and stood upright) but doesn't run anything but perfect. Not sure if the 'oil' drip is an indicator of things to come or not a big deal...

·
Registered
108 Posts
Had a good look at where this clamp is on the hose on the engine head and its buried quite deep. Anyone know the easiest way to access it before I start taking bits off the bike?

·
VIP member
394 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I used a ratcheting combination wrench. I could just reach through all the clutter without removing anything.

·
VIP member
394 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
This is what greeted me this morning when I went to unload he 790 from my truck. Time to start looking for the source.

Sigh...
I never followed up on this post. The leak was from the overflow tank, and I resolved the problem by rerouting the overflow hose over the side panel mount.

PS. I don’t know why the photo is rotated, but you will get the idea. (Thanks for fixing it, J D!)

Attachments

·
Super-Moderator
578 Posts
Had a smell of burning coolant but couldn't see anything for a few week.

A few days ago, saw a single drop. Tracked it all the way up to the known culprit. The clamp on the thermostat hose. Two minutes a a few turns of the wrench/socket later and no more leak. No more smell.

Pretty tight and difficult to see, but really not an issue after you identify the clamp screw. Easiest to find from the front left side of the bike, behind the radiator and high up on the engine.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Had a smell of burning coolant but couldn't see anything for a few week.

A few days ago, saw a single drop. Tracked it all the way up to the known culprit. The clamp on the thermostat hose. Two minutes a a few turns of the wrench/socket later and no more leak. No more smell.

Pretty tight an difficult to see, but really not an issue after you identify the clamp screw. Easiest to find from the front left side of the bike, behind the radiator and high up on the engine.
I feel stupid asking now because very easy to see from the left side lol. Mine isn't leaking after the first 1000klms but will tighten it today anyway

The valve cover gasket was leaking a tiny amount when I first got the bike but seems to have stopped on it's own.

·
Super-Moderator
578 Posts
Strange to see new bikes leaking in this day and age, but I guess it is what it is...

Keep an eye on the clamp. Will probably not have to re-tighten, but worth monitoring.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Strange to see new bikes leaking in this day and age, but I guess it is what it is...

Keep an eye on the clamp. Will probably not have to re-tighten, but worth monitoring.
At least it's a simple fix. I was pretty shocked when I found my steering lock doesn't work because the shaft doesn't line up with the hole in the top triple clamp. That is just poor and obvious no one checked it. It's about 3mm out!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts