KTM 790 Duke Forum banner

41 - 60 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
932 Posts
Scanned in the instructions I have.

Some addendums.

Without ANY doubt the biggest issue is space for one's fingers. There is a fattish tube on the right side - cut cable ties and unplug it from the breather box. then with care you can not just lift the tank rear, but slip the tank back and raise the front as well - without having to remove it. But removing it totally would (at a guess) be better, It made a BIG difference.

I ended up disconnecting lots of tubes and stuff. Mainly because it made life easier. Lots of cable ties - and take photos.
You need to be careful with the leads to the CoilOnPlug units. The connectors can be fitted at 180°. Guess how I found that one out?!.

Bear in mind - You are not simply interrupting the signals from the TPS and Injectors. But also the coils and Crank Position Sensor. This last one is really easy to get to. The Injector plugs are a real PITA until you get the knack. You'll know when you do as suddenly they pop off! - Now get the blighters back on!.

I also filed a groove through the last rib at the rear of the rider's seat. This to make more room for the cabling - I am OCD.

Happy to answer questions.

Attachments

·
Registered
932 Posts
How does the bike feel now?
If you're referring to mine. I'll tell you.

The most instant and astonishing thing was the QuickShifter became instantly silken! I had never ridden a QS bike before and was close to turning it off.

It most certainly "feels" better mid range. it's not that there's "more" - but it is far more responsive especially to smaller changes.
Top end I can't really say as I only discovered "revving the nuts off it" more recently.

And I don't ride the same in the mountains as I do on main roads. My brain has a RAIN/STREET/SPORT modes even when the bike is left permanently in Sport. :giggle: - I call them ooohfukiwishitwouldstop/godiwishtherewaslesstraffic/fun modes. Track mode I seem unable to master - both KTM and brain.

·
Registered
2020 Duke 890 R
19 Posts
noob question here (thinking about buying a Coober ECU)
The Coober controls both AFR mapping and ignition timing... are these parameters static based on the map you load or is the unit doing some magic to tune these as you ride?

·
Registered
932 Posts
The box comes from COOBER with the appropriate "map" pre-installed. And you cannot alter it. This is why it is such a leap of faith. But they are supposedly dynamic algorithms rather than fixed tables.
From what I have read - COOBER will reveal more if you speak to them on a "one to one basis" - but do not wish to announce to the competition exactly how they do stuff (which is fair imo).
And also they are playing safe with KTM and other mfrs for whom they do R&D.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #49 (Edited)
I asked Coober USA about the twitchy small throttle issues my bike has, and they said:

"Yessir this issue has been addressed by our ECU. One of our main goals when developing our ECUs is not only adding power but making the engine as smooth as possible for the best riding experience."

I wonder how they manage to map the closed loop area. Rottweiler and Power Commander have to disconnect the O2 sensors, but the Coober leaves the 02 sensors plugged in.

So I wonder how they manage to keep the KTM ECU from constantly overwriting changes made by the Coober.

What I feel on small throttle stuff is fluctuating overly lean mixture from the AFR graphs I have seen of dyno runs on the 790. I don't believe you can fix that by fiddling with ignition.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Rottweiler and Power Commander only disconnect the O2's for the 'race map'. They retain them for all other maps.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #51
Rottweiler and Power Commander only disconnect the O2's for the 'race map'. They retain them for all other maps.
I know that. And that means that the street maps with O2 sensors connected cannot address the small throttle / low speed operating aspects that are bothering me.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
I wrote to Coober EU about how they manage to address the low speed / small throttle roughness, and they did respond quickly, but I am not clear about what they are saying:

"we have fix the closed loop are to a certain level, to still keep the piston expansion. the bike become bit more smooth in the bottom and mid range."

I guess maybe they mean that they need to keep it lean enough to ensure the heat will keep the piston expanded to some critical dimension? I realize they aren't going to give away their secrets, but I am not confident the Coober will address my main issue with the 890, the small throttle stuff.

I am leaning more toward either just living with it or doing Rottweiler's PCV with the race map (and CEL on).

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #53
They just pinged me on messenger again:

if you have "check engine" showing on dash, then you run in a single map, all gears and all modes. so they use a stone age single map product to fix fuel? they turn off very advanced technology bosch, to run a extreme simple device, just to be able to pump bit more fuel in a closed loop range. this is not even close to what our customers are looking for.

·
Registered
'20 890R
25 Posts
I wrote to Coober EU about how they manage to address the low speed / small throttle roughness, and they did respond quickly, but I am not clear about what they are saying:

"we have fix the closed loop are to a certain level, to still keep the piston expansion. the bike become bit more smooth in the bottom and mid range."

I guess maybe they mean that they need to keep it lean enough to ensure the heat will keep the piston expanded to some critical dimension? I realize they aren't going to give away their secrets, but I am not confident the Coober will address my main issue with the 890, the small throttle stuff.

I am leaning more toward either just living with it or doing Rottweiler's PCV with the race map (and CEL on).
They adress it here on their FB page

·
Registered
'20 890R
25 Posts
I have absolutely no idea what that dyno chart is showing. Can you explain it please?
It's a dyno chart of 30% TPS. It shows approx. 10 HP increase in power.

They write about how they use dynamic voltage on the ignition coils combined with a complex ignition and injektion configuration to optimize low and midrange

·
Registered
2020 Duke 890 R
19 Posts
They just pinged me on messenger again:

if you have "check engine" showing on dash, then you run in a single map, all gears and all modes. so they use a stone age single map product to fix fuel? they turn off very advanced technology bosch, to run a extreme simple device, just to be able to pump bit more fuel in a closed loop range. this is not even close to what our customers are looking for.
thanks for reaching out to Coober and posting this. I have been trying to make the decision on purchasing a Coober but the explanations of what it is actually doing are a little beyond my understanding (or lack detail)

What is he referring to the PCV turning off ("very advanced technology bosch")? And what is lost turning it off?

They also mention on their site:

My biggest question so far is based on Coober's sentences "This (signal jacking) allows us to precise control full rpm range of the engine" and "...this (safety/emissions) is still left to the factory ECU".

Is the Coober modifying the open and closed loop AFR? Or just the closed loop?
I'd really love to know what (and to what degree) is being changed by the Coober

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #59
Good questions, but I give up on trying to get information I can understand out of Coober.

I hate making uninformed decisions about stuff like this, but I have decided I am going to buy one when they arrive in the USA. That is the only way for me to KNOW if it does what I want.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #60
I did read on the Rottweiler site that if you use a PCV with their "race" map (the one that will allow them to tune the closed loop area), it will disable cruise control. I don't have CC and don't want it, but plenty of folks DO have it or want it.

41 - 60 of 75 Posts