KTM 790 Duke Forum banner

1 - 20 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Coober Austria has released the Power Kit for the 890. They posted this note though, and I am not sure what they mean....

UPDATE: Based on reliability issue with the 890 Duke Engine, we highly recommend to control the Oil on stock and modified engine every 500-1000km.

"Control" the oil? Are they talking about oil changes or level checking or something else? Anyone here know about said "reliability issue"?

BTW, not yet available in the USA.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I'd wager there is an oil consumption issue and Coober is recommending a visual check of the sight glass. Changing the oil every 300-600 miles would be insane.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Oil consumption is right - or maybe 'oil leak' might be a better way of phrasing it. Leaking bike at 364kms - and again just after the first service (with a new kit) ~1300kms

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Got this answer from Coober USA:

During testing they found that when the 890 motor begins to lose oil it is very close to blowing up. So they recommend checking the oil level every 500-1000km. If the oil is below where it should be then you should take the oil filter out and inspect for metal particles.

It should be noted that this is not something that is caused by the Coober ECU, the problem happens with stock bikes as well.

I am in the habit of checking my oil more often than that, and it doesn't use any.

·
Registered
'20 890R
25 Posts
Wrote Coober EU and asked if this was something I should be worried about. This is their reply:

Actually we do not have any case where our power kit is installed, but we have few cases on brand new engine with oil level, bearing issue, oil pump issue, ....

not even one 890 with power kit has an issuer (we have close to 60 units out) but we have seen on new engines with 200-800km having troubles

I have done over 3000 km with no issues and they told that I shouldn't worry if I hadn't already experienced issues. But checking oil level now and then doesn't hurt.

I see it as poorly communicated general warning, that some 890 could have engine issues and that these (in Coober's experience) typically will show during the break-in period

·
Registered
933 Posts
Accustomed, as I am, to "lost in translation". Yup I'd say they mean check oil.

I wonder if the remarkable extra grunt in the 890 - as elsewhere documented, is pressurizing the case.
Be interesting to know the heat cycle rapidity of the 890 vs 790.
Folk not running in and burning the oil - and blowing oil mist out.

Pure speculation - but based on other engines.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I wish Coober was better at communication. On both the USA and EU sites there is very little information other than marketing bullshit. The pdf "installation manual" is a joke, and the one dyno chart I have seen does not have any numbers on it, just dyno curves.

I was all set to buy one for my 890 but getting cold feet. Leaning more towards a PCV from Rottweiler instead. About 1/2 the price, and Rottweiler's support is excellent. They are also way more transparent about the particulars of the device.

·
Registered
933 Posts
Leaning more towards a PCV from Rottweiler instead. About 1/2 the price, and Rottweiler's support is excellent. They are also way more transparent about the particulars of the device.
Price the PCV with the IGNITION BOX - The COOBER does Fuel and Ignition. Not knocking PCV - I use them elsewhere. But it is and apples and oranges situation.
There were better numbers on COOBER's web - but they have chosen to withdraw them. Given their very tight relationship with KTM - I make certain assumptions.
btw the PDF that comes with the COOBER is more complete than the web version.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The price was just something I mentioned. I can afford to go either way. But Coober's lack of communication really bothers me.

For instance, the instructions... if they provide better instructions with the unit, why not post them online?

·
Registered
299 Posts
Where are all these people with problematic 890’s surely they would be all over the internet by now with their tails of woe.
it didn’t take long for the 790 to get a bad rep for reliability because of a little bit of oil seeping out.
i would take what coober say with a pinch of salt after the nonsense they spouted about the decated 790’s.

·
Registered
933 Posts
For instance, the instructions... if they provide better instructions with the unit, why not post them online?
Possibly for the same reasons some CHIP tuners no longer overtly advertise. It puts them in the line of fire.

The EU is not the USA. They have to operate within Austrian law - and from personal experience of the years - what one can and cannot say "openly" without liability varies country to country.

Not saying I like it - it was a huge leap of faith for me to go COOBER - I am about as big a tech geek engineer/scientist as is possible (Ok not Big Bang Sheldon geek).

And I don't like smoke and mirrors - not least because I have done it professionally. But I searched the web and found some independent dyno tests of teh 790 - which tbh I trust more anyway.

Just my 0.02.

·
Registered
933 Posts
Where are all these people with problematic 890’s surely they would be all over the internet by now with their tails of woe.
it didn’t take long for the 790 to get a bad rep for reliability because of a little bit of oil seeping out.
i would take what coober say with a pinch of salt after the nonsense they spouted about the decated 790’s.
To some extent I agree.
But then I would not use the internet to ***** about it either. The pure definition of all things technical is "They break".
iirc Coober does the investigation of busted engines for KTM - so they may have seen "deliberate" breakages too.

·
Super-Moderator
'20 890R
492 Posts
Based on reliability issue with the 890 Duke Engine
Maybe they are like myself and are just waiting to get clarification/action from KTM about how to proceed with ALL of the issues they are experiencing before they publicly put them on blast?

·
Registered
299 Posts
Maybe they are like myself and are just waiting to get clarification/action from KTM about how to proceed with ALL of the issues they are experiencing before they publicly put them on blast?
Yep good idea get it sorted first.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
btw the PDF that comes with the COOBER is more complete than the web version.
According to Coober USA: "We actually don't include instructions with the ECUs, they are online in the form of pdfs."

However, they did send me the dyno chart with complete annotations:

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I don't understand the two different numbers at the top for HP/RPM. Two different measurement standards, metric and imperial or something?

Plus, the numbers on the torque axis line up with the dotted lines but the numbers on the hp axis don't, except occasionally.

This is a strange dyno chart indeed.

·
Super-Moderator
'20 890R
492 Posts
I don't understand the two different numbers at the top for HP/RPM. Two different measurement standards, metric and imperial or something?
You mean the two HP numbers that are:

• stock 97.6hp
  • the power pack equipped number 101.4hp
Or something else?

Regardless I'm SHOCKED they have a dyno that says the 890 is 97hp stock - can't be a Dynojet and what correction factor are they using?

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
No, I meant the 101.4(110.6) for the powerpack HP.

There is also a place around 6500 rpms where it almost looks like the stock and coober lines cross. It is hard to tell between the reddish color and the bluish color traces. Instead though I think they converged for a short time and then the Coober line continued to be a few hp higher than stock.

It LOOKS like an easy to ride engine though, pretty smooth curve, and they mostly got rid of the midrange slump.

1 - 20 of 75 Posts