KTM 790 Duke Forum banner

41 - 58 of 58 Posts

·
a d m i n .
151,014 Posts
Why start this topic and then delete all your comments?
I couldn't agree more, this is a viable topic open for discussion.

I undeleted the posts, so we can all see what we’re dealing with regard to the potential difficulties with a Coober install, or not.

He actually deleted the fotos from his hosting site. Thankfully we’ve seen the last of him.

It's too bad he couldn't get it installed, (or working for that matter), but it doesn't mean it's not a fine product attested by those who have installed it, and/or those who wish to make the future purchase.

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
So, are you saying that KTM dealers in France recommend to install a Coober?
Interesting
It is certainly what a French residing member of this forum was saying. Sadly we don't see much of him anymore.

COOBER say it will not affect the EU Homologation. Think the "Volkswagen" solution.

But we're still a good way from finding out in most places. I still have another 2 years here.
Austrians seem to fit them and not worry. UK guys can probably do the same - passing the MoT in the UK is(was anyway) a breeze.
Germans (whose TüV can be ferocious) are far less cavalier - but do fit them.
France has(had anyway) fairly relaxed attitude - at one time (maybe still) there was no MoT at all.
Italy I know too little about - but the plethora of LOUD pipes originating there says something: that said the police seem far readier to do road stops and look at all sorts of stuff.
Spain - ime - is tougher than the UK. The problem here is that ALOT is left to the interpretation of the individual. This IS changing, but slowly. The Guardia Civil, btw, are NOT the issue - they carry a ring file in the car/bike - with rulings and photos of OK/NOT-OK. Test centres are a whole different matter.
Germany was tougher, but it was (during my time there) all written down and not retroactive,

Still - there we are.

I have one tiny comment. MAYBE COOBER (USA) should pull his finger out and not blame the lack of documentation on the HQ.
If "his" customers want different (better) instructions - maybe he should simply get on with it. Not blame COOBER(EU). I guess his margins are low.

I have over the years seen this attitude from many importers/distributors. All over - not just the USA. And then they whinge because we go direct to China to buy.
A clear example of the reverse and correct attitude is "Rottweiler".

Mine came with better instructions than are on the web. I bought it through WINGS and they said the boxes came sealed to them. This is ODD, as not all seem to have been thus delivered.

I will sit down one day soon, and write a precise technical letter to COOBER in Austria. And will invite them to reply in German if it is easier. We'll see.
I know that they have supplied very precise technical data to German Speaking tuners who have called on the phone. To the extent of explaining EXACTLY how the Bosch ECU communicates with the Lambda sensors. But under non-disclosure.

·
MotoGP Moderator
744 Posts
Haha... Coober says this thing takes 6-10 minutes to install. It took me 1/2 hour just to get the plastic bits off and loosen and raise the tank.

After another hour of disconnecting and trying to move stuff, I have exactly ONE of the 12 connectors hooked up (TPS) and even that one is only one of the pair. I have it plugged into the TPS connector, but have not been able to connect the other 1/2 of the pair to the OEM connector. There is no room.

I'll get it, but this is a MAJOR PITA to install.
Two hours to take everything off, six minutes to install, two hours to put it all back. For a total of 04:06 hours. Still only six minutes to install... And this is assuming it works.

Truth in advertising!

·
Registered
35 Posts
I have to agree that the Coober instructions are not the best, could have higher quality pictures and go into a bit more detail, but I don't see how it's any different to installing a PCV, its all the same connectors.

The only difference I can see is that Dynojet use wire taps for the TPS.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Installation is the same for both 790 and 890.

I don't know why people likes to complicate things, but removing tank from point when you can lift it is 5-10 minutes more and everything is way easier to do. It took my about 2h to do everything without any problems. Most important thing - localize all needed plugs first, disconnect them and than start installation.

Also I asked Coober a lot of question before I start installation through their FB profile and I would say that they are super responsive and helpful so it is super strange that they don't answer same way to Coober US.

One thing which is valid, they should fix this manual it is not very helpful.

·
a d m i n .
151,014 Posts
I contacted them via FB several times as well, I felt they were very helpful & professional.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Hi, I have one on my 790 Duke, done about 3000 miles so far without any problems, certainly an improvement over stock.

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Here's the thing with "Performance Accesories". The Market is really rather concise. Not really all that big, and very regionally dependent.
90% of owners don't care and many of those because they simply do not understand. Not Harley owners naturally as they all know more than we do.
These owners might do changes for aesthetics - maybe for that "AKRA" sticker - Those tiny indicators etc.

I tend to make changes for other reasons. Though form still matters.

There are ALWAYS some early adopters. These are folk who will ignore the ramifications of warranty and just go for it. Also ime they tend to be the ones who change their rides about a fair bit.
There is then (in Europe, anyway) a second wave that start tinkering once the warranty expires - this may be about to jump start. But I feel in the particular case of the 790D - the 890's are going to potentially woo this segment away.

And then there are the weird cases - I may well be among them. I will make changes inside warranty - but they have to be reversible. COOBER were openly stating their box did not affect warranty. And that was a reason in their favor for me. They also stated it would not affect emissions - and this is for me a HUGE plus. Every 2 years I have to remove the Power Commander and open pipes from the Big Triumph to get an MoT pass.

But in the EU the arrival of EU4 and more so EU5 has seriously affected the fitting of anything "suck-squeaze-bang" related. And COVID has not helped. I have a mate with a shop that really started catering to Classic Bike guys. But he had to alter his business model as sales of "Performance Accesories" has tailed right off. There comes a moment when the benefits do not outweigh the costs, and he feels that scale has tipped.

Some marques are also imo far more "factory tweaked" than others. KTM seems to be one of those.

Not maybe for home-spanner folk, not yet. But, as an example, I would seriously contemplate my next bike being an older EU3 model - Or even earlier. Just so I can tweak.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Here's the thing with "Performance Accesories". The Market is really rather concise. Not really all that big, and very regionally dependent.
90% of owners don't care and many of those because they simply do not understand. Not Harley owners naturally as they all know more than we do.
These owners might do changes for aesthetics - maybe for that "AKRA" sticker - Those tiny indicators etc.

I tend to make changes for other reasons. Though form still matters.

There are ALWAYS some early adopters. These are folk who will ignore the ramifications of warranty and just go for it. Also ime they tend to be the ones who change their rides about a fair bit.
There is then (in Europe, anyway) a second wave that start tinkering once the warranty expires - this may be about to jump start. But I feel in the particular case of the 790D - the 890's are going to potentially woo this segment away.

And then there are the weird cases - I may well be among them. I will make changes inside warranty - but they have to be reversible. COOBER were openly stating their box did not affect warranty. And that was a reason in their favor for me. They also stated it would not affect emissions - and this is for me a HUGE plus. Every 2 years I have to remove the Power Commander and open pipes from the Big Triumph to get an MoT pass.

But in the EU the arrival of EU4 and more so EU5 has seriously affected the fitting of anything "suck-squeaze-bang" related. And COVID has not helped. I have a mate with a shop that really started catering to Classic Bike guys. But he had to alter his business model as sales of "Performance Accesories" has tailed right off. There comes a moment when the benefits do not outweigh the costs, and he feels that scale has tipped.

Some marques are also imo far more "factory tweaked" than others. KTM seems to be one of those.

Not maybe for home-spanner folk, not yet. But, as an example, I would seriously contemplate my next bike being an older EU3 model - Or even earlier. Just so I can tweak.
Excellent analysis! I’m concerned about the euro 5 making the throttle response rough in spots. I’m intrigued by the Coober and their relationship with KTM, and that their system might be more tightly integrated and not just a piggy back add on. I’m diyer and a programmer by education and currently working as an SRE for a big global company. I’ve done quite a bit of wrenching on cars and motorcycles. But I’ve never mucked around with fuel injected systems. Always carburetors. I’m intrigued by flashing of ECU with mapping. But I don’t have the tools and knowledge to do such a thing. I’m up to my ears just keeping up with technology in my field of work. Maybe when I retire I can dig into it more. 😆

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Euro5 does not make things rough. It's how the "engineer in charge" chooses to get there that matters. It's all about out-thinking the opposition.
FI is a doddle IF you have a way to log data. Way easier than carb's.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Euro5 does not make things rough. It's how the "engineer in charge" chooses to get there that matters. It's all about out-thinking the opposition.
FI is a doddle IF you have a way to log data. Way easier than carb's.
I see so many Swiss people on here. Did a lot of you install the Coober despite the strict rules here?

Edit: Actually it's pretty much just you but you posted a lot :p

·
Registered
32 Posts
Things aren't always what they seem..

A few people here have VPN's that switch their IP locations around the globe, to whatever end.
Fair enough, is it possible to manually set the region for those who want to display their correct region? I think that would help avoid confusion and put posts into context.

41 - 58 of 58 Posts