KTM 790 Duke Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Despite my bike having the similar symptoms I’ve never had any sign on the cluster of anything wrong.

It’s very warm here now. When it happened this morning the bike had been sitting in the sun for a few minutes. When it started to stumble I could smell gasoline. It’s at the dealer now.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Despite my bike having the similar symptoms I’ve never had any sign on the cluster of anything wrong.

It’s very warm here now. When it happened this morning the bike had been sitting in the sun for a few minutes. When it started to stumble I could smell gasoline. It’s at the dealer now.
This sounds like something different. I also had no warnings, just the check engine light. But mine did not stumble at all, it just shut off. My nearest dealer is closed this week, so I'll be calling them next week.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Here’s an update
First off I’m blessed with a very skilled caring and competent service manager and long time KTM tech.

When he started the bike it did it’s magic pooping jerking stumbling etc. He put it on the bench and spotted a vacuum hose wasn’t connected. He knows I’ve never messed with anything as it’s never been touched they did the 600 mile service.

Long story short he found it up under the tank connected it reprogrammed the bike clearing dozens of “ communication “ codes it and voila it runs perfectly.

I’m feeling blessed. no charge. I gave him a $20 gratuity as my thanks for his great work

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
UPDATE AGAIN!! **** thing quit on me after I shut it off to run a quick errand.

Started it up it began stumbling and run very rough chugging etc.

Towed to the dealer. Will keep you posted.
Not fun is it.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Final posting - - dealer checked everything over once again - I"ve had a coober ecu installed since the bike had 600 miles on it - it ran flawlessly with it and definitely added the power you wanted and deserve on this great bike -

The dealer pulled out the coober and the bike ran perfectly - he reconnected the coober and it wouldn't start and when it did it stumbled and ran horribly and then died - so, he pulled it out again and called me and asked me to give it a half hour or longer thrashing - which I did - the bike runs perfectly again - even though I miss the Coober hp and torque gain - In speaking by mail with Coober they were very eager for me to send it back and the'd send a replacement asap - its going to Austria tomorrow - hopefully they'll be able to diagnose the issue which I/m hoping its in their product - he said yes they can fail though in 4500 ECU's they've had only 3 failures and none on a 799 - what a cluster XXXX yet we know its just life and **** happens - I'll keep you posted

·
Super-Member
595 Posts
Final posting - - dealer checked everything over once again - I"ve had a coober ecu installed since the bike had 600 miles on it - it ran flawlessly with it and definitely added the power you wanted and deserve on this great bike -

The dealer pulled out the coober and the bike ran perfectly - he reconnected the coober and it wouldn't start and when it did it stumbled and ran horribly and then died - so, he pulled it out again and called me and asked me to give it a half hour or longer thrashing - which I did - the bike runs perfectly again - even though I miss the Coober hp and torque gain - In speaking by mail with Coober they were very eager for me to send it back and the'd send a replacement asap - its going to Austria tomorrow - hopefully they'll be able to diagnose the issue which I/m hoping its in their product - he said yes they can fail though in 4500 ECU's they've had only 3 failures and none on a 799 - what a cluster XXXX yet we know its just life and **** happens - I'll keep you posted
Wow. Who would have thought!? Good on the dealer for figuring it out though. Hopefully they can either fix it which I assume means sending you a new unit or refund your money. Always a risk adding aftermarket parts!

·
Registered
97 Posts

i have now close to 9000 miles with my coober / wings setup, very happy.
our dealer sold close to 100 790 Duke units and more then half are using coober/akrapovic or wings setup.

a friend use the same setup and he manage somehow to damage the harness when installing.
we have been honest to coober people and let them know what happen. they did not mess round, they sent us a new one and we sent them the damaged one back.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Coober update - Coober did send a replacement within a day of notifying them, of course at no charge - I/m going to wait to install it until after I return from a 5 day trip in mid August - the bike runs fine now though
with less torque and hp but I/m happy its running perfectly otherwise. I was disappointed that Coober didn't send the connectors, with all the connections and wiring it could be anyone of them causing the issue not the
ecu itself. I'll let everyone know what happens when it goes back in.

·
a d m i n .
151,023 Posts
Coober update - Coober did send a replacement within a day of notifying them, of course at no charge - I/m going to wait to install it until after I return from a 5 day trip in mid August - the bike runs fine now though
with less torque and hp but I/m happy its running perfectly otherwise. I was disappointed that Coober didn't send the connectors, with all the connections and wiring it could be anyone of them causing the issue not the
ecu itself. I'll let everyone know what happens when it goes back in.
Can they, (or did they), test the ECU, to see if that was the definitive issue?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts