KTM 790 Duke Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

Spent a few hours today fitting a Coober ECU and airbox lid, just took it out for a test ride down some local lanes and it has certainly made a difference.

Definately more mid range, pulls harder and going down a lane I ride most days, I found I could hold a higher gear and roll off and on the throttle without having to change down.

I'm running an Arrow Race tech slip on without the DB Killer and it sounds louder than before, and there are quite a few bangs on the overrun which weren't there before, maybe due to richer fueling, the increased noise may be due to the airbox lid, hard to tell.

Overall I am impressed, was in two minds whether to get it, but after the first ride glad I did.

If anyone else is thinking of getting one, I would recommend it.

Cheers

Matt.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm thinking of putting it on a dyno to see what it is doing now, unfortunately don't have a stock one.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm in the Hertford area about 20 miles north of London.

If yours is stock could be a good comparison.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That setup would certainly be good to compare to the Coober:)

I think it would interest a few people to see the results.

Have you had it on a dyno?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The install wasn't too bad, just took a bit of time, I had to remove a few more bits than expected to get access to the various plugs, its all quite well packed in with the 790.

It didn't start first time, so had to recheck all the connectors, typically it was the last one that was the problem and hadn't seated properly.

After that I just made sure the cables were all routed OK, cable tied them up and then put everything back together, it was a lot quicker than taking it apart as I knew what I was doing by then.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Hi,

Spent a few hours today fitting a Coober ECU and airbox lid, just took it out for a test ride down some local lanes and it has certainly made a difference.

Definately more mid range, pulls harder and going down a lane I ride most days, I found I could hold a higher gear and roll off and on the throttle without having to change down.

I'm running an Arrow Race tech slip on without the DB Killer and it sounds louder than before, and there are quite a few bangs on the overrun which weren't there before, maybe due to richer fueling, the increased noise may be due to the airbox lid, hard to tell.

Overall I am impressed, was in two minds whether to get it, but after the first ride glad I did.

If anyone else is thinking of getting one, I would recommend it.

Cheers

Matt.
Have the same experience with the Coober kit on mine.

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
Can I suggest you try WITHOUT the airbox lid. Mine most certainly runs up better at HIGH rpms with the stock one and the COOBER ECU. Not that I really need to be up there that often - honest officer!. Wiings pipe - no baffle.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Will have to give it a go and see if it makes any difference.

I'm going to see if I can get it on a dyno in the next week or so to see what it is doing.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Got the bike on the dyno yesterday, results weren't mind blowing but as I didn't dyno it as stock, I can't tell how whether the numbers have gone up or down.

It certainly feels like it has more midrange and the torque curve looks a lot flatter than some of the stock ones I have seen.

The chap at the dyno did mention that it is still a lot leaner in the first half of the rev range than he would have it with a PCV, maybe Coober have to leave it that way so that it complies with the emission standards that KTM build it to? I don't think Coober have put out a graph showing the AFR figures, so cannot compare.

I have attached copies of the dyno results.

Attachments

·
Registered
312 Posts
Got the bike on the dyno yesterday, results weren't mind blowing but as I didn't dyno it as stock, I can't tell how whether the numbers have gone up or down.

It certainly feels like it has more midrange and the torque curve looks a lot flatter than some of the stock ones I have seen.

The chap at the dyno did mention that it is still a lot leaner in the first half of the rev range than he would have it with a PCV, maybe Coober have to leave it that way so that it complies with the emission standards that KTM build it to? I don't think Coober have put out a graph showing the AFR figures, so cannot compare.

Won’t download for me, where did you go for the dyno?

·
Registered
1,029 Posts

How was it Dyno'd?. WOT - 30%? - Where it scores is for very short changes in TP. The granularity is VERY fine.

I have not ridden a 790 with a PCV (but I have a PCV on my Triumph). The Coober reacts faster, but reacts for less time. This is certainly in the design brief. COOBER have said so.
To get the same granularity on a PCV is not possible. Apart from GUI-management restrictions, simply there is not enough RAM in the box. I know because I have run out of RAM on the Triumph PCV.

From what I understood chatting to a very pro-PCV tuner in Vienna - the COOBER does NOT run at set values. It's all to do with %change over time. And it convinces (lies to) the Bosch unit to change rather than over-ride. If so this is VERY clever. And it absolutely messes with ignition timing - This shown by Rottweiler in the US to be important using a PCV and not touching fuel.

COOBER do the warranty engine analysis for KTM. And I think have a large part to play in the pre-production testing. They have very accurate oil analysis kit as well as the Dynos. Now I may be wrong, but this gives them a HUGE advantage when it comes to knowing what the engine is best doing. There was some scuttlebut that COOBER only released their box because KTM suggested they did so, to overcome homologation restrictions. The little box is NOT COOBER's core business. Being subcontracted into BMW and KTM (who are both fairly big) is more likely their core, IMO.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Hi, both those charts were at WOT, I have attached a couple more that show runs at various throttle openings, apparently not being a PCV he didn't have a throttle position readout so had to estimate it.

The other chart is just going through the gears, I presume at WOT.

The Coober box is obviously doing something quite interesting, it doesn't appear to give big overall HP or torque number gains, but the way the bike rides is certainly a lot better.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 20 Posts