KTM 790 Duke Forum banner

Are you considering motorcycle airbag?

• Total voters
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I commute every day to work so wearing the right gear is important. I started wearing the Dianese D'Air Vest a month ago, and now I feel naked not wearing it. Are you guys considering a motorcycle airbag?

·
VIP member
402 Posts
I have the first generation Alpinestars race airbag system. I swap it between my leathers and a couple of jackets. It does make me feel safer.

·
Registered
833 Posts
Whilst I can see the advantage - I can't see adding yet another breeze proof layer into my gear. Summer here is Brutal. I ride ATGATT but I guess I have arrived at a point where I don't see the real world advantage. It's already an issue not overheating on a 30 mile run into Madrid. And if I was doing that as a commute - I'd need a shower available at work. Track use - that would be a different matter.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I have a gen 1 Alpinestars TechAir that I use for track only. Hasn't deployed yet but I do like the added piece of mind - and I won't go out without it. I know a lot of guys that have had crashes at the track and had theirs deploy - all of them praised the system and feel that it saved them from more sever injuries. The big downsides from my experience are the weight and the reduced airflow. On a hot day at the track it is brutal - the vest literally blocks any air from moving through the suit above the waist. I don't know how this can be remedied though considering the whole idea of having your torso surrounded by inflatable pockets of gas. I've been considering swapping the firmware to street mode and getting one of the compatible street jackets, but haven't done so yet. Considering the Dainese one now because of the option to use it under my existing jackets (if they have enough room).

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm able to ride up to 100 F or 38 Celsius and be very comfortable if soak my base layer. It usually lasts an hour before I need to soak it again. I've done this full leather jacket.
The Dianese D’Air is very lightweight. I'm able to use it under the jacket or over the jacket. Plus, the perforation is effective. I can feel the airflow with the D’Air.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I'm able to ride up to 100 F or 38 Celsius and be very comfortable if soak my base layer. It usually lasts an hour before I need to soak it again. I've done this full leather jacket.
The Dianese D’Air is very lightweight. I'm able to use it under the jacket or over the jacket. Plus, the perforation is effective. I can feel the airflow with the D’Air.
Thanks - that's good to know. I may check one out this summer.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts