KTM 790 Duke Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2011 Ducati HM, the last of the air cooled bikes. It's a blast and makes beautiful noises.

I'm considering the 890 now as an upgrade, hoping to use it for track days too. Anyone with a good comparison of how these 2 bikes feel on the road? I mainly want to know if the KTM feels any lighter and if it's any more or less comfortable than the Duck.

·
Super-Moderator
578 Posts
I test-rode the two bikes, back to back. I narrowed it down to these two, the HM SP and the 790D.

Really liked the Ducati, but decided to go with the KTM. Seemed a bit more every day, practical. The KTM was significantly lower cost and I figured I can buy the KTM, work on the suspension and brakes and still be left with some change. In principle, this is exactly what happened.

I would say that the 890R is much closer to the SP in both specs and price. KTM is still a bit more practical. The HM SP is more narrowly focused.

You will not go wrong with either. Both great, exciting bikes.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a 2011 Ducati HM, the last of the air cooled bikes. It's a blast and makes beautiful noises.

I'm considering the 890 now as an upgrade, hoping to use it for track days too. Anyone with a good comparison of how these 2 bikes feel on the road? I mainly want to know if the KTM feels any lighter and if it's any more or less comfortable than the Duck.
I have both a 2008 HM 1100S and 890R. Yes the 890R is lighter and feels lighter when riding. The comfort is about the same for me. I think HM is slight more relaxed seating. 890R is a slight forward lean. HM exhaust sounds better with open exhaust. I have full system on HM and Remus slipon on 890R. 890R really shines as RPM increase. HM is normally done at about 8500. I love my HM for what it is . Lightweight no frills hooligan bike. 890R is a modern version with all bells and whistle. My HM feels like it has a little more torque lower in RPM that is likely because of extra displacement.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts