KTM 790 Duke Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Basic premise guys and gals; the seat on the 790 is obviously the main downside of the bike, it's stiff and doesn't really hold me in place. I tend to slip forward onto the tank which leaves loads of room and isn't too kind on my neathers.

So there are two options I can see; the PP comfort seat, or a fully custom seat made by hurley custom seats. Check his work out on insta: Login • Instagram

My question is; is the PP comfort seat any good and would it be enough to notice the improvements long term, or would it be worth saving and getting something more bespoke?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Just noticed the link to the Instagram might not work for everyone so here is a tasty looking rc8 seat he made that got me interested in this upgrade

·
Registered
11 Posts
My bike came with both the stock and PP seat. The PP seat is a tad softer, but not massively so.

My issue is that the setup doesn't let me scooch back far enough when I want to tuck down onto the tank. Both the rear seat and the race cowl have a bump that get in the way.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Hi Endpotential, I've just bought the PP Comfort Seat, should be arriving today, is there any issues I should be aware of with fitting it or is it a pretty simple install?

·
Registered
39 Posts
Depending on the type of riding you do, have you thought about something like an Airhawk (air cushion)? I used to spend a lot of money buying a new seat from Corbin, Sargent, etc. for each bike. When it was all said and done, when I put an Airhawk on the stock seats I ended up with something about as good, if not better, than an aftermarket seat. The one exception to that is when I had Sargent custom make a seat for me. It was bespoke seat done exactly I wanted with their expertise.

Might be worth trying an Airhawk or something like it. On my 890 it works great. Only downside is if I want to ride really aggressively it is best to remove it. I just stuff it under the rear seat cowl and I am good. I didn't believe earlier it could make such a difference and dismissed buying one for quite some time. I probably wasted thousands of dollars buying an aftermarket seat when the Airhawk probably would have done all I needed.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I suppose trying something cheaper like an airhawk would be better if does the job, all I'm worried about is going for the cheaper option and it not making any difference and they having to go for the more expensive custom option on top of that.

However, I havnt got any plans to do any really long distance riding at least for a while, so going for a fully custom seat may be going too far the other way. What I'd really like is to have a go at sitting on the PP comfort seat or an airhawk first to see what it feels like before committing to it, I just don't know how likely that would be at the moment. Thanks for the info though, it has given me something to think about

·
Registered
32 Posts
I couldn't get on with an Airhawk when I tried one on my Varadero. It didn't help at all. It is useful nowadays though. I take it to use at the cricket when I am sat on a hard seat for several hours.
The sargent seat on my gs is a big improvement over the standard seat.
My neighbour swears by the ergo seat on his superduke gt.

Perhaps find a friend with an Airhawk you can try?

·
Registered
39 Posts
Amazon can be your friend. At least in the US the return policy is pretty generous. We have 30 days to return.

Over inflating is the biggest issue with most people when they try it. Obviously everyone's bum is different. I've found even a small difference in pressure can make a big difference when too much for me.

·
Super-Moderator
717 Posts
I am also using the +20, since new. Tested on rides as long as 5-6 hours of seat time and works well for me. Great mod for taller riders.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Another option is Seat Concepts, they make a kit for the Duke. They are available in the US and now there is a UK distributor as well. KTM (2019-20) 790/890 Duke *Comfort*
I've used them on a number of bikes and will be ordering one for my Duke soon. The standard foam they use is similar firmness to Sargent seats but SC will furnish firmer foam on request (which I always do) at no additional charge.

Width: Same as OEM
Height: Front 1/2" TALLER than stock
Details:

This comfort seat has been built up by 1/2" rise at the front to counteract the natural forward slop of the OEM seat. The transition edges have also been slightly rounded to allow for better reach and comfort.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Basic premise guys and gals; the seat on the 790 is obviously the main downside of the bike, it's stiff and doesn't really hold me in place. I tend to slip forward onto the tank which leaves loads of room and isn't too kind on my neathers.

So there are two options I can see; the PP comfort seat, or a fully custom seat made by hurley custom seats. Check his work out on insta: Login • Instagram

My question is; is the PP comfort seat any good and would it be enough to notice the improvements long term, or would it be worth saving and getting something more bespoke?
I did 45 mi today and my butt was killing me I don't have two or $300 for a new seat is there any other answers please I love the bike but something's got to be done lol

·
Registered
11 Posts
Seat Concepts Riders seat foam and cover is $175 plus $20 or so shipping, or you could go with an Airhawk blow up seat cover which is probably $100.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I'm just getting back on street after 20 years or so I've been riding my KX250 for a while but the street is new to me again lol..I haven't considered it yet but you always have great answers thanks DMA I will look into it.

·
Registered
277 Posts
No problem @Bill - they are much cheaper than a new saddle and a lot less hassle than an inflatable airhawk type cushion thing.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I did 45 mi today and my butt was killing me I don't have two or $300 for a new seat is there any other answers please I love the bike but something's got to be done lol

You need to ride more and get your arse used to the seat. I did 266 miles in a day last week on the standard seat. Mind you, I do have quite a bit of natural padding.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I found the other seat thread sorry for the mispost feel free to remove it thank you I apologize

1 - 19 of 19 Posts