KTM 790 Duke Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks, I'm 15 1/2 stone, 6"1, 56 yo and with a back that's still just about functioning! I recently went a run with a m8 on his 390 Duke, he's about the same weight as me but a short arse lol. Anyway, my back was killing me after the run (180 miles or so), his was fine so guessing the 790 is a bit more brutal on the rear shock due to the extra speed /power. The roads here in Scotland are, like much of the UK I guess, totally crap. Every bump, pothole and undulation jarred my back until I was in actual pain, and I did my utmost to avoid the trenches. I have back issue anyway, definitely lack of core strength, but in my mind the standard settings for the rear shock is for a track, not the bomb site cart tracks we have here. I need a bit more give if I'm going to be able to the keep the 790. I love everything about the bike apart from the unforgiving (for the roads I'm riding on) rear shock. The front forks are fine, no issue there.

I've done a bit of reading and the standard rear shock seems to be set up for someone of 13 stone, so theoretically should work a bit softer for my 15 plus, not IMO sadly.

I'll be putting the bike in for its annual service soon, so does anyone have any advice on how I should ask them to set the bike up for very bumpy roads? (I doubt they would look at me if I started mentioning sag etc....)

I did quickly with said m8 try and turn the preload down with the c spanner, but it wasn't wearing it. I guess you might need to take the rear near side panel off to get decent access for this?

TIA and any thoughts appreciated.

John

·
Registered
2,516 Posts
You could - given your height, think about the +20mm PP seat - more padding.

I've just done a test with about 20mm of gel on the seat - made a BIG difference to back and botty. But the gel was to wibbly wobbly in the twisties for me.

Depending on the shape of your ischia - the stock seat can apply a lot of pressure. I can JUST ABOUT cope with padded skivees, lined pants and some 3D mesh on the seat - 83Kg

Spanish rural roads are every bit as bad as the UK. But dry usually.

·
VIP member
581 Posts
Actually, being heavier than the shock is set up for will make the ride harsher. Your weight eats up some of the shock’s initial travel, forcing it into the more progressive damping at the end of the stroke sooner and giving it less stroke to absorb the bumps. So, you may want to increase preload to reduce the sag or go to a suspension shop and look into getting a spring rated more appropriately to your size/weight.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.