KTM 790 Duke Forum banner

21 - 29 of 29 Posts

Registered
Just wanted to get some advice from people with a 790. All the other people I have to rely on for advice are Harley enthusiasts. I'm trying to decide if this is just my inexperience, or something I should talk to the dealer about.

Basically, I feel like I'm having to use the clutch a bit more than other riders, especially in first gear for lower speed maneuvering. By lower speed I mean ~15 mph. Just a scenario: I'm braking and downshifting to first gear approaching a light, planning to turn right. If I don't have the clutch in by about 13-15 mph, it starts chugging and going into a turn like that just seems like a bad idea. To counter it, mediate the chugging, I pull in the clutch some and make the turn so when I'm coming out of it everything is nice and smooth. It makes signaling a bit difficult, or at least delayed, but in the end I'm more worried about lowsiding as a result of the non-smooth throttle activity.

I'm guessing this is the low end throttle issues that everyone on here talks about. I'm really just trying to figure out if I'm handling this correctly.

Thanks for the advice all!
Hawker's reply resembles my opinion. In 1st gear or even very low speed 2nd gear, I am always modulating the Duke's clutch as if it were a normal clutch bike.
In either case, I do see many folks expecting the clutch-less shifting to work way better than possibly intended. Seems many may expect a Rekluse sort of action (which you may add).

Premium Member
Just wanted to get some advice from people with a 790. All the other people I have to rely on for advice are Harley enthusiasts. I'm trying to decide if this is just my inexperience, or something I should talk to the dealer about.

Basically, I feel like I'm having to use the clutch a bit more than other riders, especially in first gear for lower speed maneuvering. By lower speed I mean ~15 mph. Just a scenario: I'm braking and downshifting to first gear approaching a light, planning to turn right. If I don't have the clutch in by about 13-15 mph, it starts chugging and going into a turn like that just seems like a bad idea. To counter it, mediate the chugging, I pull in the clutch some and make the turn so when I'm coming out of it everything is nice and smooth. It makes signaling a bit difficult, or at least delayed, but in the end I'm more worried about lowsiding as a result of the non-smooth throttle activity.

I'm guessing this is the low end throttle issues that everyone on here talks about. I'm really just trying to figure out if I'm handling this correctly.

Thanks for the advice all!
In traffic i am always ready to feather the clutch because i might need to stop, or blip it and accelerate. The Clutch controls power/rpm zone.

Registered
In traffic i am always ready to feather the clutch because i might need to stop, or blip it and accelerate. The Clutch controls power/rpm zone.
53, here....got ya beat. I think only older folks still use forums. Younger Duke riders seem to reside on social media apps, I reckon....not that there's anything wrong with that!
Yes, the young blokes are all over on the Facebook site crying in their cornflakes about nothing. If they can鈥檛 find anything to cry about, they dream something up. After going through two WWs and the Great Depression, probably why my grandfather slipped the clutch all the time on his car (deaf from the shells) but I am still not sure what Hawker鈥檚 excuse is for riding his 790 like that馃榾馃榾馃榾馃榾.

Registered
Wow, where are all the ex and current Dirt Bike guys? Clutch, Front Brake, and Throttle working together you should never be searching for that sweet spot
going through a slow speed corner or slow speed maneuvering as long as you are in the ballpark gear wise. I leave my 790 in Track most of the time for various reasons, but again, Clutch, FB, Throttle take the edge out of Track mode at slow speed.

21 - 29 of 29 Posts