KTM 790 Duke Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wanted to get some advice from people with a 790. All the other people I have to rely on for advice are Harley enthusiasts. I'm trying to decide if this is just my inexperience, or something I should talk to the dealer about.

Basically, I feel like I'm having to use the clutch a bit more than other riders, especially in first gear for lower speed maneuvering. By lower speed I mean ~15 mph. Just a scenario: I'm braking and downshifting to first gear approaching a light, planning to turn right. If I don't have the clutch in by about 13-15 mph, it starts chugging and going into a turn like that just seems like a bad idea. To counter it, mediate the chugging, I pull in the clutch some and make the turn so when I'm coming out of it everything is nice and smooth. It makes signaling a bit difficult, or at least delayed, but in the end I'm more worried about lowsiding as a result of the non-smooth throttle activity.

I'm guessing this is the low end throttle issues that everyone on here talks about. I'm really just trying to figure out if I'm handling this correctly.

Thanks for the advice all!

·
Registered
60 Posts
Just wanted to get some advice from people with a 790. All the other people I have to rely on for advice are Harley enthusiasts. I'm trying to decide if this is just my inexperience, or something I should talk to the dealer about.

Basically, I feel like I'm having to use the clutch a bit more than other riders, especially in first gear for lower speed maneuvering. By lower speed I mean ~15 mph. Just a scenario: I'm braking and downshifting to first gear approaching a light, planning to turn right. If I don't have the clutch in by about 13-15 mph, it starts chugging and going into a turn like that just seems like a bad idea. To counter it, mediate the chugging, I pull in the clutch some and make the turn so when I'm coming out of it everything is nice and smooth. It makes signaling a bit difficult, or at least delayed, but in the end I'm more worried about lowsiding as a result of the non-smooth throttle activity.

I'm guessing this is the low end throttle issues that everyone on here talks about. I'm really just trying to figure out if I'm handling this correctly.

Thanks for the advice all!
I don’t really have that problem. I have several very tight roundabouts near me which I don‘t have any problem doing in first gear, clutch out but it does take a bit of throttle control. Also, I mostly use street mode when riding in traffic. I think you will get used to it after a while. Also I found my 790 smoothed out after it had a few thousand kms under the belt.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Mines the same so i'd say its normal. Just gotta get used to feathering the clutch at low speed
I'll plus one this. In track mode its almost un-rideable under 15mph. In street mode (even in track mode with the street throttle response set) it is a lot more bearable. The akrapovic mapping REALLY smooths that out if you are interested.

·
Super Moderator
1,190 Posts
The bike is snatchy at low speed, low gear maneuvers. There is a lot about this in the forum. Better fueling will help. People had good luck with booster plugs, PCV and other solutions. Otherwise, get used to it and apply more clutch when you feel you need it.

BTW, speaking about ride modes, I find the Sport to be better than the Street, for some reason.

Reactions: HangryPete

·
Registered
2020 790 Duke
416 Posts
1st gear is mostly for starting from a dead stop. Approaching a slow corner where I don't come to a full stop I will be in 2nd gear. As I enter the corner I will pull in the clutch, check for traffic then proceed by slipping the clutch a bit as I accelerate. This method is much smoother than dropping down to 1st gear.

If you do come to a full stop then select first gear before you go.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
1st gear is mostly for starting from a dead stop. Approaching a slow corner where I don't come to a full stop I will be in 2nd gear. As I enter the corner I will pull in the clutch, check for traffic then proceed by slipping the clutch a bit as I accelerate. This method is much smoother than dropping down to 1st gear.

Perfect, thanks. I'll give this a try.

·
Registered
60 Posts

That’s how my Grandfather drives his car😀😀😀😀

·
a d m i n .
151,032 Posts
No worries about age on this forum. The average age is about 65. 🤓

Chugging, going into a corner at 15mph? Ride faster. . 😁

1 - 20 of 29 Posts