KTM 790 Duke Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I haven't really posted anything about my 890 Duke R purchase since I got it, but I've done all the research I can given how new this bike is. I just cracked 620 miles the other day and have done the first oil change so the engine is broken in. I absolutely love everything about the bike but there are a few issues I've had so far.

I bought the bike from a dealership about 3 hours away from me and since I don't have my full license yet, I loaded the bike into my truck for the ride home. Upon arriving home, I quickly noticed some paint chips on the bike. There were about 3 small scratches/chips on the gas tank close to the handlebars, so not super noticeable, but the biggest thing I noticed was a big chip on the gas tank lid. I rode the bike a few times and then washed it and noticed the another chip on the lid in another spot. From the get go, the paint looked different on the gas lid, like it had oil on it or something. It was clear the paint had an issue and I wasn't super happy with it. After a few washes, the paint had chipped in several spots and was getting worse. I went ahead and purchased the ktm quick release gas tank lid (which I absolutely love because it looks great and is anodized) but I'm a little upset at the finish on the stock gas lid. Since I removed it, it seems to have chipped in several spots under the bolts and chips very easily with a fingernail. Hopefully no one else has this issue, but I don't think this should be happening with a brand new bike. I've checked the warranty paperwork and it seems paint isn't covered under warranty, which is a shame. I can deal with the new gas lid, I just figured I'd share my experience.

I've also had another issue with the cruise control. It only happened a couple of times and seems to work fine now, but I had an issue with it not engaging at all until I restarted the bike.

Overall I'm ecstatic with my purchase, especially since I haven't had a bike in 15 years. My last bike was a 2001 gsxr 600 when I was 18, so this is a big difference compared to that.

I will post some pictures of the paint chipping and the new gas lid tomorrow.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Can you post some pics? I wonder if it was damaged in shipping, and someone did a repair that is not holding up?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts