KTM 790 Duke Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it possible to change our tachometer and Install the big one with the Bluetooth? Has anyone make this retrofit? The plug is different.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Is it possible to change our tachometer and Install the big one with the Bluetooth? Has anyone make this retrofit? The plug is different.
It's not only the dashboard that has bluetooth, it's a whole plug & play kit provided by KTM that does.

Changing your tachometer from a 390 to a 1290 would maybe be possible with a big pack of knowledge in this particular field and the very right tools, but it wouldn't make sense.

It's like putting a 180 rear on a 390cc, is it possible? Yeah has to be. Does it makes sense? Nope.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It's not only the dashboard that has bluetooth, it's a whole plug & play kit provided by KTM that does.

Changing your tachometer from a 390 to a 1290 would maybe be possible with a big pack of knowledge in this particular field and the very right tools, but it wouldn't make sense.

It's like putting a 180 rear on a 390cc, is it possible? Yeah has to be. Does it makes sense? Nope.
My tachometer has a crack on it. On the glass and I can find a Lot cheaper the big one from the 1290 that is why I asked. Thank you very much

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
If the bike is still in warranty - Then KTM will replace it.
AFAIK - The entire instrument cluster is basically a small computer that has to be paired to the ECU via KTM. It also contains components that are NOT just display related.
As @Brumm says - If you have the tools and knowledge to debug/reprogram then anything can be made to work.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If the bike is still in warranty - Then KTM will replace it.
AFAIK - The entire instrument cluster is basically a small computer that has to be paired to the ECU via KTM. It also contains components that are NOT just display related.
As @Brumm says - If you have the tools and knowledge to debug/reprogram then anything can be made to work.
No warranty it is 2018 😞

Attachments

·
Registered
204 Posts
The bluetooth connectivity unit is a seperate control unit that can be added to your bike anyway, with the standard instrument cluster.
As for swopping instrument clusters, you will need to look at wiring diagrams to see if it is possible and talk to a Ktm Technician. They do all run Can-bus and I assume all run a seperate immobilizer control unit, so that's half the battle won, but don't know if can coded/adapted to your bike. Also, the mounting is different. You can buy the plug and terminals from Ktm.
Much easier to replace with same(new) unit or find a good used unit and fit/activate bluetooth connectivity control unit.

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
No warranty it is 2018 😞
I had a display replaced in warranty - and it's one of the reasons I decided to get an extended warranty pack.
I understand why mfrs use CANBUS - but it's something I'd rather be without.

·
Registered
204 Posts
I had a display replaced in warranty - and it's one of the reasons I decided to get an extended warranty pack.
I understand why mfrs use CANBUS - but it's something I'd rather be without.

Hehe..got my head around CANbus systems a while ago and no problems diagnosing/repairing them...now trying not to pull my hair out on LINbus and MOSTbust systems. Keeps me employed and in demand though.

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
Hehe..got my head around CANbus systems a while ago and no problems diagnosing/repairing them...now trying not to pull my hair out on LINbus and MOSTbust systems. Keeps me employed and in demand though.
LIN is supposed to be simpler!.

And now - "Your mission, Jim; should you choose to accept it" - Build a universal breakout box for any bike allowing use of aftermarket universal digital clocks.

They could have - for sure.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts