KTM 790 Duke Forum banner

41 - 52 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
2020 KTM Duke, '72 Norton Commando, '62 BSA C-15, '82 Suzuki PE 175
210 Posts
When I had mine in for the first service I had checked my chain adjustment per the manual and per their directions it was tight. My experience showed it was perfect. The Tech agreed that it was in adjustment when I asked about the maual's directions he was noncommittal and I agree that would be way to loose and the chain would be all over the place.
I would re adjust it so it and keep it lubed.

·
Registered
2020 KTM Duke, '72 Norton Commando, '62 BSA C-15, '82 Suzuki PE 175
210 Posts
I bet that adjustment in the manual is designed more for the ADV. bikes.

·
Registered
256 Posts
I've followed the instructions under the pillion seat on my 2020 Duke 790 , left around 3-4mm and found the chain to be way too lose. It would slap the chain guides on every bump or road imperfection. I'm lost at this point, the squeaky chain noise is gone be now but I got chain slaps everywere almost unbearable.. feels way too lose. Help please!
You know I wonder that myself it seems like it is too loose to me but she just got out of the first service And the chain was adjusted again and it seems the same to me any input would be helpful take care guys

·
Registered
388 Posts
Was the top run of the chain taught when you measured the bottom run according to the diagram?

Did you measure with the chain in several positions?

You could try setting it with the gap at 5mm - that would tighten it a little and still be within specification (it's only going to get looser with use).

·
Registered
388 Posts
I do wonder about this whole chain tensions thing.

After the first service the technician said my chain was too tight when I dropped it off and they had adjusted it according to spec. I told them that I hadn't adjusted the chain at all (I really hadn't) - it was how it was when I got the bike. It seemed perfect before and was slapping around all the time afterwards.

I wonder if the common counter shaft leaks mean that dealers have been told to err on the side of loose now? It's fine under really hard riding / acceleration but really crap when riding slowly at low throttle and low engine revs.

·
Premium Member
409 Posts
I do wonder about this whole chain tensions thing.
@dma
I agree with you!

As I mentioned in my recent 18 month ownership review, I can’t use the recommended method because I have an ABBA stand which lifts on the swingarm pivot. I therefore use my neighbour sitting on the bike whilst I measure and adjust as a pragmatic means of getting a reasonable result. At least it simulates a “real world” condition. I’d like to experiment with the effect of different loads on chain tension as I think that the 790 is reasonably sensitive to varying loads, based on when I loaded it up for a tour back in February and it ended up drum tight. Low priority at the moment though.

Yesterday, I took a rider for an IAM advanced riding test and part of it was in heavy city traffic. In street mode in first gear, the 790 was snatching quite badly on occasion so I put it in rain mode. That helped a bit but I still feathered the clutch now and then to smooth things out. Chain tension may have been irrelevant though and just a characteristic of the bike and the impact of Euro emission regulations. Fortunately, I spend very little time in those conditions.

·
Registered
2020 790 Duke, 2006 SV 650, 2008 Hot rodded KLR, 1991 Honda Hawk NT 650
144 Posts

·
Registered
2020 790 Duke, 2006 SV 650, 2008 Hot rodded KLR, 1991 Honda Hawk NT 650
144 Posts
Bought a new chain for 790 duke didn't realise it has 116 links standard is 118 do you think I will be able to use it
Most likely not

·
Registered
146 Posts
That video shows the old and incorrect method for chain tension. People commented on the video to let him know but he never corrected it
Can confirm. I tried his method yesterday and the chain was far tighter than the manual/under seat sticker spec.

I saw he commented that he's been running his bike this way with no problems but I'm no willing to run my chain that far out of spec.

·
Registered
256 Posts
I'm not looking to crank down on my chain I'm talking about maybe a quarter or a half a turn just to get it to stop slapping it seems like it loosened up after the first service there's about 1800 miles on it now and I keep it cleaned and lubed and that helps but I think it's still too loose everything seems so confusing when it comes to this

·
Registered
146 Posts
I'm not looking to crank down on my chain I'm talking about maybe a quarter or a half a turn just to get it to stop slapping it seems like it loosened up after the first service there's about 1800 miles on it now and I keep it cleaned and lubed and that helps but I think it's still too loose everything seems so confusing when it comes to this
What's your measured clearance to the underside of the swing arm immediately above the chain when measured a link back from the end of the slider (on a stand/the wheel up, unweighted)

41 - 52 of 52 Posts