Front Sprocket - 16 Tooth | Rear Sprocket - 41 Tooth

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Good job, as I had no idea.

We will eventually have a FAQ-sticky, your post will be included. :smile_big:
Thanks!

When Revzilla gets the chain back in stock I'll verify my numbers with actual experience and not excessive googling.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Picked up a 120 link DID chain from the dealer on a whim. Got the rivet one - not the master link, but making the rivets mushroom isn't that easy using cheap chinese tools. Any tips or tricks to get them to mushroom enough?

All I did was take off the old chain, lay them side by side, and then took off two links from the DID chain.

What was weird was that when I put the new, unstretched, chain on the bike it was super loose. A turn and a quarter (~1.25 turns) of the swingarm tensioner bolts fixed it perfectly.

Now we can argue how taught our chains should be. I went for 5-6mm as I don't want to cause issues with seals, but I'll keep an eye on it all and tension a little bit if I need to.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Ref NavyDuke post
STOCK SIZES: Chain - 118 Links / 520 Pitch for the duke it is the same as my CRF250l which I new so I went out and measured them the dukes chain is 1.5mm wider is there another spec that specifies the correct chain ?

·
Registered
76 Posts
Just checked out pitch on the net

Chain Pitch Width
520 15.88mm 6.35mm
525 15.88mm 7.85mm
530 15.88mm 9.53mm
532 15.88mm 9.53mm

If Im correct on the CRF being 520 pitch the duke should be 525 pitch due to the width, open to be corrected.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Just been checking out the chains and both have 520 printed on them, so still confused about the difference in the width.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The difference between a DID 520 and a DID 525 chain hopefully isn't very important as the chain I put on was a 525. Maybe sprocket wear will change? I only had about 900 miles on the sprocket when I completed this swap so basically brand new. I definitely liked that the DID 525 came with a rivet master link as opposed to a clip master link that comes with the 520.

I know the manual states that stock equipment is a "5/8 x 1/4” (520) X-ring" type chain, but it would seem that the 525 works just fine, at least in the short term.

Time will tell!

·
A d m i n .
151,134 Posts
I don't know if using a 525 in lieu of a 520 is correct or not. From all the motos I've owned, I've always changed out the chain & sprocks as a kit. It's prolly ok that you changed out the chain while all is basically new. I would look into my first sentence though, that would irk me.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I don't know if using a 525 in lieu of a 520 is correct or not. From all the motos I've owned, I've always changed out the chain & sprocks as a kit. It's prolly ok that you changed out the chain while all is basically new. I would look into my first sentence though, that would irk me.
Technically according to the manual, 525 is not correct and 520 is. I'm not sure there are any hard negatives to running a slightly wider chain. The lateral space on the sprocket is obvious, but what would the long term effects be? I'm just annoyed at my dealer for recommending the 525 over the 520...

I have a chain adjustment tool and a breaker/riveter tool on order to help dial in the tension and replace the chain if I absolutely need to.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Technically according to the manual, 525 is not correct and 520 is. I'm not sure there are any hard negatives to running a slightly wider chain. The lateral space on the sprocket is obvious, but what would the long term effects be? I'm just annoyed at my dealer for recommending the 525 over the 520...

I have a chain adjustment tool and a breaker/riveter tool on order to help dial in the tension and replace the chain if I absolutely need to.

Did some digging. No negatives to running a 525 chain on a 520 sprocket. The main difference that needs to be thought of when choosing sprockets is the width between inner plates. 525 chains last longer but are 100% compatible with 520 size sprockets.

Width between inner plates
520: 1/4"
525: 5/16"
530: 3/8"

·
Official KTM Hoonigan
34 Posts
Looking to replace the chain with a DID. How many links? Nothing is in the manual that makes sense and my google-fu is failing me.

Anyone know?

Thanks!
The original has 118 links. We had to take the original down to test the bigger sprocket (56 teeth) that we made for the 790 Duke.
In case you are thinking also to change the sprocket, for 56 teeth, you need 122 links. :nerd:

·
Registered
58 Posts
Did some digging. No negatives to running a 525 chain on a 520 sprocket. The main difference that needs to be thought of when choosing sprockets is the width between inner plates. 525 chains last longer but are 100% compatible with 520 size sprockets.

Width between inner plates
520: 1/4"
525: 5/16"
530: 3/8"
Its the width between inner plates that worries me. IMO its not good practice, I like my bike to be aircraft perfect in certain areas. 525's are a much beefier chain and you may have clearance issues in some places.

520's are actually an upgrade for Superbike guys, less rotating mass quicker acceleration etc.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts