KTM 790 Duke Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So since today my duke 790 has started making some squeaking noise, it has 2200 km under its clock, oil change, new filter at 1km.
Chain cleaned and lubed every 500km ish so don't think it's a chain problem although no idea tbh.

Noise seems to be most apparent when I'm running in 2nd gear and just not apply throttle and let it naturally slow down. When I'm accelarating it doesn't make it, only when slowing down.

I made a video to show so hopefully, someone can tell me what the issue is. I know it's best to go to the dealership which is possible and I plan to do so to get it fixed but it's about 450km away and a holiday today and tomorrow where I'm living. And obviously don't want to take a really long drive if it's a serious problem as I will be shitting myself that I get some serious failure whilst on the highway knowing my luck in life, so I will have to pay to get it shipped I guess if it seems too risky to drive it.

Anyway, I will stop rambling on. Here is the video

sorry the quality is crappy, I don't have a gopro or anything so my wife just took it from her iphone.

Thanks in advance for any ideas or suggestions on what could be the issue. A bit disappointed considering I've only had it a month so wouldn't expect one of the bearings to be screwed or something like that

·
Registered
189 Posts
Chain. Mine was making the exact same noise. The rollers weren't lubricated on the pins very well from the factory. Cleaned, lubed (taking care to get a lot between the rollers and side plates), adjusted and it's been quiet ever since but I'm planning on installing a new chain and maybe that fancy Supersprox rear sprocket in the future.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Thanks, turns out it was the chain as suggested. I guess I didn't maintain it as well as I assumed or waited to long when I last cleaned and lubed it . I gave it a thorough clean and lubed all sides of it this morning, then took it for a run of about 40km after the clean and lubing and the noise stopped completely throughout the ride. So seems to be solved . Guess I will try to do the clean/lube very 400km now instead of 500km so I don't get the same thing happening again.

·
Registered
2 Posts
So since today my duke 790 has started making some squeaking noise, it has 2200 km under its clock, oil change, new filter at 1km.
Chain cleaned and lubed every 500km ish so don't think it's a chain problem although no idea tbh.

Noise seems to be most apparent when I'm running in 2nd gear and just not apply throttle and let it naturally slow down. When I'm accelarating it doesn't make it, only when slowing down.

I made a video to show so hopefully, someone can tell me what the issue is. I know it's best to go to the dealership which is possible and I plan to do so to get it fixed but it's about 450km away and a holiday today and tomorrow where I'm living. And obviously don't want to take a really long drive if it's a serious problem as I will be shitting myself that I get some serious failure whilst on the highway knowing my luck in life, so I will have to pay to get it shipped I guess if it seems too risky to drive it.

Anyway, I will stop rambling on. Here is the video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kCDnFX5XoVM

sorry the quality is crappy, I don't have a gopro or anything so my wife just took it from her iphone.

Thanks in advance for any ideas or suggestions on what could be the issue. A bit disappointed considering I've only had it a month so wouldn't expect one of the bearings to be screwed or something like that
I had the same exact problem late last year. Lubing the chain solved that squeak instantly. It was driving me nuts and the dealer was no help at all (unless I paid for a full diagnostic... yeah, right!). The noise was identical, not just similar, to the posted video. Great idea to post the video!

·
Registered
16 Posts
I had the same issue on my 790 duke. I washed my bike last week after a trip to cascade mountains and no more chirping but I am planning to clean & lube the chain anyway.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Mine's been driving me nuts, my wife can even hear it from her bike over our comms. I can fully clean and lube the chain, go for a ride the next day and within an hour it starts. Mine's quiet on decel, noisy as heck on cruise through to full throttle. I've adjusted my chain, aligned my chain (Motion Pro tool as well as swingarm to axle measurements to confirm), still does it. And because it takes about 30 mins for the chain to warm up and make noise the dealer can't replicate it (they did check my adjustments though). If I lube it (even if only 100km since full clean/lube) I can get maybe 50-100km again. Motul C2 Road chain spray.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts