KTM 790 Duke Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi
Having checked out all reviews & tests , not 1 of them give any feedback regarding a pillion ( therefore these reviews & tests are incomplete !)
Took a test ride with the wife , she liked it.
Bought a new 2020 model , with rider & pillion ergo seat.
The wife absolutely loves it.
Lots of leg room & nice proportional seat.
Admittedly on very poor road surfaces the suspension is a little firm , but generally it’s fine , especially with the ergo seat.
From my perspective , the bike handles & responds really well 2 up & it’s great having her onboard.
If you wanted to tour ( by adding Ventura luggage ) , then it would not be a problem.
I would add that we are both average ish height & weight.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Hi I personally wouldn't want to tour on the 790, the rear shock is just too basic for long rides on mixed roads, especially if you load up with luggage, the front you could cope with but with a pillion on the rear I think you'd suffer. Electronic suspension has come a long way, and the ability to alter all settings on the fly while touring is now the norm. I've had a few big tourers including various GS's over the years, and the 790 while you could tour on it I guess wouldnt be my first choice for long distance cross country touring, depends on what you class as touring I guess. But then I'm an old fart now as well :D

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah , I agree , it’s definitely not the most tourable bike , but it could do it.
If touring regularly , then get something else.
Wouldn’t go anywhere near electronic suspension.
Had it on a new 1290gt. Went faulty under warranty. £600 for the unit & 10hrs labour ( covered by warranty )
Had it on new R1200rs , went faulty within 10 miles of collecting bike from dealers.
Four figured sum ( warranty ).
Electronic suspension great until it goes wrong !
Personally would never get another bike with electronic suspension.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I enjoy having my wife pillion on the 790. Admittedly my only other experience of pillion is of a 50cc moped in Spain, and on my 125 Duke before the 790. The 790 is definitely the best... and she loves it! She was quite nervous originally but really enjoys it now, and riding 2 up is great fun.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Yeah , I agree , it’s definitely not the most tourable bike , but it could do it.
If touring regularly , then get something else.
Wouldn’t go anywhere near electronic suspension.
Had it on a new 1290gt. Went faulty under warranty. £600 for the unit & 10hrs labour ( covered by warranty )
Had it on new R1200rs , went faulty within 10 miles of collecting bike from dealers.
Four figured sum ( warranty ).
Electronic suspension great until it goes wrong !
Personally would never get another bike with electronic suspension.
Yeah, that was always the major issue for the hardcore (Luddite some might say ;)) touring folks, and quite rightly, that this electrickery would be a waste of space in the middle of some forgotten land!! I guess now it's a rich mans game, i.e. the bikes broke down, send the van to Austria ta very much old boy. You couldn't beat bing carbs on the old bikes, hammer and fork to repair.. Then again you could do touring on a Honda Cub as well, just depends on how long you plan to keep the new toy and how much faith you put in new tech, not much suspension tech on the 790 (loads of other electickery to go wrong mind ;)) so no worries there, now the bigger KTM bikes, get your laptop ready unless you're happy with an abacus.... :)

FWIW, all my GS's were the aged ones!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts