KTM 790 Duke Forum banner

21 - 40 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
When you have the time the following is a great ride.
76 to N. Santa Fe to Osborne to E. Vista Way to Gopher Canyon to Circle Drive to Lilac Road to Valley Center Road to 76 to Palomar Mountain South Grade to East Grade to 76 to 79 to San Felipe Road to Montezuma Valley Road to Borrego Springs for lunch.

After lunch Borrego Springs Road to Yaquip Pass Road to 78 to Julian for some world famous pie. Then home from there.

It's a fabulous ride visiting many very fun roads. Dropping down into Borrego the views are spectacular. Think the road is nick named the glass staircase and you will see why.

If you do the ride let me know how it goes.

Cheers.
That is quite a ride! I'd suggest you try going up to Mother's Kitchen at the top of Palomar and assess the situation from there. It can be a workout just to make it there.
At palomar, weekend mornings sort of belong to the road warriors, knee draggers and otherwise self declared fast guys. The afternoon crowd is more mature and sedate. Be forewarned View attachment 6676
Hey, I'm one of those "afternoon" guys! What're you sayin'? :sneaky:

·
Registered
35 Posts
And not to mention the POE with his ray gun. Can make for an expensive weekend.

Since I am an old retired guy I generally avoid riding on the weekends. That being said the first time I did the above ride was when I had my FZ09. Got about a dozen guys from to forum together for a group ride. It was a total blast.

View attachment 6683
Hey, Hawkerjet. You're in O'side, and I'm in Encinitas/La Costa area. Since you're a self-proclaimed old retired guy, and since I am an old nearly retired guy, seems we could connect for a ride?

·
Registered
35 Posts
That is quite a ride! I'd suggest you try going up to Mother's Kitchen at the top of Palomar and assess the situation from there. It can be a workout just to make it there.
At palomar, weekend mornings sort of belong to the road warriors, knee draggers and otherwise self declared fast guys. The afternoon crowd is more mature and sedate. Be forewarned View attachment 6676
Hey, that looks like Don F. with the Street triple! Old riding bud. Haven't been up that way in awhile. Is Mother's open again?

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
At palomar, weekend mornings sort of belong to the road warriors, knee draggers and otherwise self declared fast guys. The afternoon crowd is more mature and sedate.
Sounds like a local meeting point near me.

It's a place called "La Cruz Verde". I avoid it on the whole - especially weekends.There are usually some LEOS about.
The road from there to Robledo is notorious for some crazy Youtube videos. I work in Robledo - and it is hugely anti-bike as a result. The road up from El Escorial is equally "fun".

Generally though the early crowd is just there to meet and ride on. Mid-morning seem to be the Power Rangers. The behind our house leads up - weekends it's patrolled by Helicopter.
If I go - it's usually well before the Power Rangers are awake.

Quite why it is so popular escapes me - the food/drink is not great (ime)

·
Registered
2020 790 Duke
364 Posts
Hey, Hawkerjet. You're in O'side, and I'm in Encinitas/La Costa area. Since you're a self-proclaimed old retired guy, and since I am an old nearly retired guy, seems we could connect for a ride?
I would love to get together for a ride. Only problem is I now live in Fresno, 6 hours away. I really miss O'side and the area but had to pick a retirement spot where I could afford to live. Plus I am originally from Fresno and still have family and many friends here.

If you have not done the ride I mentioned, it is a really fun one.

Cheers.

·
Registered
2020 790 Duke, 2006 SV 650, 2008 Hot rodded KLR, 1991 Honda Hawk NT 650
129 Posts
Do I know you?
I'm just saying the morning guys can be unruly. The afternoon crowd is cool.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Sounds like a local meeting point near me.

It's a place called "La Cruz Verde". I avoid it on the whole - especially weekends.There are usually some LEOS about.
The road from there to Robledo is notorious for some crazy Youtube videos. I work in Robledo - and it is hugely anti-bike as a result. The road up from El Escorial is equally "fun".

Generally though the early crowd is just there to meet and ride on. Mid-morning seem to be the Power Rangers. The behind our house leads up - weekends it's patrolled by Helicopter.
If I go - it's usually well before the Power Rangers are awake.

Quite why it is so popular escapes me - the food/drink is not great (ime)
It certainly looks like a popular hangout. Those kind of places inevitably lead to LEO activity. Like Ortega highway and the Angeles Crest.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Hey, that looks like Don F. with the Street triple! Old riding bud. Haven't been up that way in awhile. Is Mother's open again?
That is indeed painter Don. So maybe we know each other .... the store is open but the restaurant is not, even though they finished remodeling inside (maybe).

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
It certainly looks like a popular hangout. Those kind of places inevitably lead to LEO activity. Like Ortega highway and the Angeles Crest.
I got a speeding ticket many many years ago when I was on Hwy 79 from Santa Isabel to Palomar. I have not been that very often since then, and when I do I watch my speed. :cautious:

·
Registered
129 Posts
I got a speeding ticket many many years ago when I was on Hwy 79 from Santa Isabel to Palomar. I have not been that very often since then, and when I do I watch my speed. :cautious:
I got one, also very many years ago going exactly the opposite direction. I've been that way at least once a month for the las 20 years. Never got another ticket there. You are supposed to use Mesa Grande Rd, you know?
I've been riding these roads for so long I have a very good idea where you can expect to find officer friendly, slow traffic, driveways, etc.
One has to be able to gp with the flow and adapt to changing circumstances. My last outing took me to highway 94, which I had not done in a while. It was fun.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Do I know you?
Maybe we can get together for a ride sometime. Sounds like some Fun Diego riders here. Let's get a Duke ride together soon.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I would love to get together for a ride. Only problem is I now live in Fresno, 6 hours away. I really miss O'side and the area but had to pick a retirement spot where I could afford to live. Plus I am originally from Fresno and still have family and many friends here.

If you have not done the ride I mentioned, it is a really fun one.

Cheers.
No shortage of good roads outside of Fresno. One of my favorite rides was up Highway 41 through Yosemite and all the way to mono lake loop around hit Highway four
Do I know you?
Color me cool! :cool: Les LEO activity later in the day as well.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
I had to go replace the broken Dakboard cpu and troubleshoot the next thermostat at my Mom’s house this morning. Stopped at Bird Rock Coffee Roasters before. Then rode home via Highland Valley road thru Ramona, then to Slaugherhouse Canyon road thru Baron Indian reservation. Lost of twisties.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I had to go replace the broken Dakboard cpu and troubleshoot the next thermostat at my Mom’s house this morning. Stopped at Bird Rock Coffee Roasters before. Then rode home via Highland Valley road thru Ramona, then to Slaugherhouse Canyon road thru Baron Indian reservation. Lost of twisties.

View attachment 6743
Highland Valley Road! 👍

Had previous commitment today. Lat's see if we can organize a local ride soon.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Maybe we can get together for a ride sometime. Sounds like some Fun Diego riders here. Let's get a Duke ride together soon.
Hey Enrique! Up for a ride tomorrow? You posted your number somewhere but I can't find it now, Give me a call! Six19 Six 3 Five 02 Six One

·
Registered
129 Posts
Hey Enrique! Up for a ride tomorrow? You posted your number somewhere but I can't find it now, Give me a call! Six19 Six 3 Five 02 Six One
I'll be out and about. I'll call you before noon.

·
Registered
129 Posts

View attachment 6743
Out today?

21 - 40 of 42 Posts