KTM 790 Duke Forum banner
1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Super Moderator
1,955 Posts
Great tires. You would love them. Quick steering, linear and a lot of traction. Will wear out like other supersport tires -- pretty quickly.

Wheel Tire Automotive tire Locking hubs Tread

·
Registered
390 Posts
I'm happy with mine so far. We got caught on some wet roads after a brief down pour and I did some threshold braking on the duke, its my first bike with ABS, so I thought it would be a safe way to see just How hard you can brake in the wet. I thought I was a pretty good judge of grip, but couldn't get my mind to pull the brake lever hard enough to engage abs with these tires and fully wet roads. Haven't had any complaints with traction under throttle either, so as long as they last a bit longer than the power cups I will be a repeat customer.

·
Super Moderator
1,955 Posts
I'm happy with mine so far. We got caught on some wet roads after a brief down pour and I did some threshold braking on the duke, its my first bike with ABS, so I thought it would be a safe way to see just How hard you can brake in the wet. I thought I was a pretty good judge of grip, but couldn't get my mind to pull the brake lever hard enough to engage abs with these tires and fully wet roads. Haven't had any complaints with traction under throttle either, so as long as they last a bit longer than the power cups I will be a repeat customer.
Good point about wet traction.

Surely, I don't ride the same dry and wet. That said, I was pleasantly surprised by wet traction on the S22. Definitely gave me enough to ride safely.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Great tires. You would love them. Quick steering, linear and a lot of traction. Will wear out like other supersport tires -- pretty quickly.
They look like they’ve been ridden how they should, tres bon!
I commute more than I should, was just wondering how the 5 compounds on the rear holds up in terms of squaring off? I used to run michelin 2cts on my gsxr and from memory they didn’t last long.

·
Super Moderator
1,955 Posts
They look like they’ve been ridden how they should, tres bon!
I commute more than I should, was just wondering how the 5 compounds on the rear holds up in terms of squaring off? I used to run michelin 2cts on my gsxr and from memory they didn’t last long.
Rear will square off in 2,500 miles or less of commuting. If commuting is the majority of your riding, I'd go with a sport touring tire.

·
Registered
212 Posts
I've been using the Bridgestone's since the S16's and love them. BUT..., as long as I can get the Power Cup 2's, that's what I'll keep putting on. I have 2836 MILES on my Cup 2's and could probably do another 200 or so before they are completely toast. Definitely better traction than the S22's in the dry.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Rear will square off in 2,500 miles or less of commuting. If commuting is the majority of your riding, I'd go with a sport touring tire.
Now thats a pickle, maybe I should be looking at the Michelins Road 5s? I try to avoid wet weather riding and I’ll be probably be parking the Duke over winter when it gets below 10c and getting her back out in Spring, my commute is about 24 miles (each way) with probably 10 of it motorway. Dont get me wrong I make the most of every corner but its not alpine route by any stretch of the imagination… I just dont want to put something on that’s going to hamper such a corner focused machine when i do get the opportunity!

·
Registered
195 Posts
Road 5's will handle anything you're going to throw at it on the road. I have the Power 5's and really don't need what extra grip they might have on the road. They'd probably be better on a track but a bit of overkill on UK roads, plus the rear is toast after 3500 miles. I'd expect a lot more out of the Road 5's

·
Super Moderator
1,955 Posts
Now thats a pickle, maybe I should be looking at the Michelins Road 5s? I try to avoid wet weather riding and I’ll be probably be parking the Duke over winter when it gets below 10c and getting her back out in Spring, my commute is about 24 miles (each way) with probably 10 of it motorway. Dont get me wrong I make the most of every corner but its not alpine route by any stretch of the imagination… I just dont want to put something on that’s going to hamper such a corner focused machine when i do get the opportunity!
Have some good experience with Conti Road Attack 3. Great handling and traction, wet and dry. Long life compared to sport tires.

Reactions: Roreos46

·
Registered
13 Posts
s22's are a great upgrade from the stock tires for sporty riding. Feels stable when leaned over and great dry grip. They have lasted me 2000 miles and 4 trackdays so far and they look like they still have about 1/3 of their usable life left.

If you do ride in the rain often or you're doing mostly commuting, Michelin road 5 is a great tire. I had them on previous bike and had more confidence in wet conditions than s22. You give up a little grip, which you probably only notice at track pace, but get much more the milage and superior wet performance.

·
Registered
212 Posts
For those running S22s on the 890R, did you adjust geometry for the tire compared to the stock Power Cup 2? I just put my first set of S22's on and the front radius is 1.5mm taller and rear 4.5mm lower, which has created a geometry shift to a more tail down/nose up setup that lost a lot of feel and confidence in the front. Since we don't have ride height adjustment on the stock shock I'm debating how far to pull the forks up to restore the original geometry.

·
Registered
2021 KTM Duke 890R
716 Posts
For those running S22s on the 890R, did you adjust geometry for the tire compared to the stock Power Cup 2? I just put my first set of S22's on and the front radius is 1.5mm taller and rear 4.5mm lower, which has created a geometry shift to a more tail down/nose up setup that lost a lot of feel and confidence in the front. Since we don't have ride height adjustment on the stock shock I'm debating how far to pull the forks up to restore the original geometry.
Interesting. Those are very small differences. Are you primarily doing track days?

·
Registered
166 Posts
I didn't perform these measurements but I think I remember a video by Dave Moss where you can find interesting figures for 4 tires (S22 and Power 5, not Cup 2 unfortunately).
I think he made some good points there by measuring the tires unmounted vs on the wheel and noted some differences.
Also, because the flex of this tires are different, the actual geometry changes - on the bike - may also differ (and will also depend on the bike itself).
How did you make the measurements ?

·
Registered
212 Posts
No, mostly street use. But an overall 6mm lower ride height in the rear is pretty noticeable, especially when combined with the peakier profile of the S22s compared to the Michelin. The peaky profile falls onto its side more than the progressing rolling feeling of a rounder tire, so that combined with a lower ride height makes the front feel like it's riding high and then sort of folding in on itself. It really saps my confidence in slower corners, whereas on the Power Cup 2s I can just flop the bike into the corner feeling super planted.

I also replaced the stock bar with a wider and flatter ProTaper bar, so I need to adjust my feeling with that as well, but ideally would like to recapture the original geometry.

·
Registered
212 Posts
I didn't perform these measurements but I think I remember a video by Dave Moss where you can find interesting figures for 4 tires (S22 and Power 5, not Cup 2 unfortunately).
I think he made some good points there by measuring the tires unmounted vs on the wheel and noted some differences.
Also, because the flex of this tires are different, the actual geometry changes - on the bike - may also differ (and will also depend on the bike itself).
How did you make the measurements ?
Yes Dave is a friend and I've been chatting with him on the side. He's a good guy!

I used a soft measuring tape to get the circumference and then calculated the radius. The S22s were measured inflated on the bike, the Michelins were measured inflated on spare rims not on the bike.

1 - 20 of 58 Posts