KTM 790 Duke Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Working on complete front end brake upgrade minus rotors ( those will come in due time).

Already have ABS dongle to allow disable of ABS which I have hit numerous times on hard trail braking, so that issue is fixed. My goal is to have better 1 finger brakes like I do on ktm Duke ii and ktm 950 am which both have Brembo.

I have never been happy with the OEM brakes on 790 even after me bleeding brakes and dealer bleeding brakes and better pads. So I picked up 2011 Ducati EVO 848 MC and calipers and ordered custom line set from Galpher to hopefully get the 1 finger brakes I am after.

Attachments

·
Super-Moderator
578 Posts
I am pretty happy with my HH pads and the M/C conversion to RCS19. Didn't get to the calipers, yet.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yea I started down that road but found great deal on 848 parts so seemed best plan.

·
VIP member
407 Posts
After riding the 2020 Street Triple RS, I've fallen in love with the Brembo MCS master cylinder and M50s. I'm seriously considering a Brembo master cylinder sometime soon.

·
Registered
98 Posts
I had a braking MC replacing the disintegrated original one to ride back home after crashing at Franciacorta and it was much better than stock.

The replacement stock I have mounted back seems to be much sharper than the original.
Looks like they might allow too much tolerance in the machining of the pieces.

·
A d m i n .
151,133 Posts
I’ve always enjoyed replacing most any stock master cylinder with a Brembo MC.

Sadly, I feel the 790D’s MC is shoddy quality, and I would certainly replace it with an upgrade.

·
Registered
25 Posts
How do you identify what model Brembo caliper, I've got Brembo calipers on my adventure bike but I cant find a model number, even looked in the repair manual

And what are the different current models and which are better

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Rft just researched brembo site compared what retailers are offering for 790 brembo upgrade and reverse engineered. Found 2011 Ducati 848 evo calipers and MC for $350 US and went that route after checking and rechecking. Of course OEM lines will not work on MC or calipers so had custom lines made from Galpher. While doing brakes since front cluster has to be removed to replace MC line went ahead with the lower PP triple tree install. Made some good progress today.

Attachments

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Pretty much have 790R now with all the mods past year. PCV and suspension were best mods so far

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
JD I agree, at least i can say my OEM MC is sub-par compared to ktm950sm and old Duke II.

·
Registered
833 Posts
This is an odd (for me) thread to read.

I have no doubt - Most BREMBO brakes are good. But ime experience there are BREMBO and BREMBO. I've ridden with Brembos most of my 40 years on two wheels.

So I suspect equally there are JJUAN and JJUAN. JJUAN is new to me as an owner, but they are out there in the track world with higher spec components. Thumb Brakes too if you're hunting.

First thing I'd do (if I was particularly unhappy - which I'm not) is upgrade the pads and move to ductile iron discs - with properly fully floating self centring mountings. My personal (current) preference would be PFM - purely for the disk-carrier system. It piques my interest.

·
Super-Moderator
578 Posts
Nice progress. Beautiful result, so far. Please keep sharing.

·
Registered
28 Posts
As you made full conversion and keep ABS on place, do you know if bleeding brake system in this bike require KTM diagnostic computer?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Brembo M50s

Hi Guys,

in the process of upgrading my brake system as well..
I already have the PP rotors from when i bought the bike.

a few weeks ago i decided to go all-in and order brand new Brembo M50s and RCS17 Corsacorta.

Turns out they won't fit with stock lines.

I'm in Australia, but originally from Italy, with the language advantage i manage to find frentubo
Asked them about custom kits and went for a Type 4 Carbotech kit.

ordered from Carpimoto in Italy and received in Australia 5 days later.
Got a Rizoma next fluid tank and other random bling for good measure:devil:

Will have them installed next Monday, with a bunch of other stuff.

will post when done!

1 - 20 of 45 Posts