KTM 790 Duke Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Shortly needing to upgrade brake pads, previously used Metal Gear sintered pads on my DR650 with great results.
What’s the thought on using sintered aftermarket pads, front & rear, on my 2018 790 Duke ?

·
Registered
129 Posts
Shortly needing to upgrade brake pads, previously used Metal Gear sintered pads on my DR650 with great results.
What’s the thought on using sintered aftermarket pads, front & rear, on my 2018 790 Duke ?
I went with EBC's (lots of good comments on the fourm) on my 2019 Duke and stayed with OEM discs. Great outcome in terms of bite and much improved feel.
Be sure to get the sintered not the organic version. I took the opportunity to clean everything up while I had the calipers off and gave the discs a run with some light steel wool. Just keep an eye on the clips when you remove the caliper bolts, they take flight very easily and are a ******* to find.
My fluids were nice and clear so I didn't do a full bleed but I did have the cap loosened on the reservoir (but still on) during the change. I do recall a few 'pumps' to get the full resistance back. I also did the "overnight bleed" (as advised by the dealer) by releasing the pressure on the reservoir cap but leaving it on and covered witha cloth, cable tying the front brake lever back into full application. Then the next day re-tighten the reservoir cap and slowly let the cable release back to its position.
Once the pads were well and trully bedded in I did a thorough bleed including a couple of test runs in between to activate the ABS to release the fluid from the AB chamber and bled again. The brakes were fine before hand but the I did feel a slight improvement after the bleed. Although I may have been trying to convince myself that I hadn't wasted my time :)
Rectangle Font Material property Parallel Screenshot

1 - 5 of 5 Posts