KTM 790 Duke Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone had this problem or aware of it? It seems my brake lights are always on, at least there is no change in the light if either brake is actuated, unless the front brake springs then the light dips off for a millisecond. Will get on to the dealer as it's only a day old but wondered if there was a quick fix known?

Thanks

·
Registered
112 Posts
Anyone had this problem or aware of it? It seems my brake lights are always on, at least there is no change in the light if either brake is actuated, unless the front brake springs then the light dips off for a millisecond. Will get on to the dealer as it's only a day old but wondered if there was a quick fix known?

Thanks
There is not so many things that could be wrong. It could be one of the pressure switches that is stuck to ON position witch was seen, faulty ground(most likely not), software issue but I’d be surprised or ECU witch again wouldn’t be my first guess.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
OK so had a fiddle this morning, I can get it working normally if I wriggle the front brake lever aggressively. Works fine but then if I apply front brake and then release quickly, the always on happens again. So I'm guessing it's a problem with the switch?

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Any idea how easy it is to get at the switch? I'm trying to avoid taking it to the dealer as seems any day now all businesses will be closed and I don't want my bike stuck there.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Any idea how easy it is to get at the switch? I'm trying to avoid taking it to the dealer as seems any day now all businesses will be closed and I don't want my bike stuck there.
The switches are underneath the gas tank on the ABS unit. The only way to test it would be with an ohmmeter to see if it does actuate properly. Now since your bike is only a day old ☹ i would suggest to take it to the dealer, because to fix it you still need a new pressure switch and some dot4 oil to bleed the line.
Also if you do remove it, be careful with the gas connector it is in plastic ( you can find video on the web to help you ). Also bleeding the line without spilling oil on the tyres.
I understand it could be frustrating( i would be really upset 😡 ) hope it helped you.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The switches are underneath the gas tank on the ABS unit. The only way to test it would be with an ohmmeter to see if it does actuate properly. Now since your bike is only a day old ☹ i would suggest to take it to the dealer, because to fix it you still need a new pressure switch and some dot4 oil to bleed the line.
Also if you do remove it, be careful with the gas connector it is in plastic ( you can find video on the web to help you ). Also bleeding the line without spilling oil on the tyres.
I understand it could be frustrating( i would be really upset 😡 ) hope it helped you.
Really helpful, thank you. Will be a trip to the dealer tomorrow then, hopefully they can do it while I wait. Thanks for the advice!

·
Registered
112 Posts
Same exact issue with mine. Dealer plugged it into the diagnostic tool and fixed it. Guess it needed a reset/calibration or something
Hummm I’m not too impressed 🤨. Software failure.... mechanical switch would have never failed before 2045 !!

It might be running a windows base software....a Linux base wouldn’t. 😂

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hummm I’m not too impressed 🤨. Software failure.... mechanical switch would have never failed before 2045 !!

It might be running a windows base software....a Linux base wouldn’t. 😂
:grin: haha fair.... fingers crossed it's an easy fix tomorrow

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Update if anyone cares - faulty brake light switch. No parts in stock at the workshop so have to wait for KTM to ship one across which could take who knows long with the current crisis.

To say I am p***ed off is an understatement, should have been caught on the PDI as it's been happening since I picked the bike up.

So gutted, now I'm paying finance payments and insurance for a bike I don't have.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
They won't do it, being a real PITA. It's probably for the best I'm not meant to be out joy riding atm anyway, just "essential" journeys.... :(

·
Registered
189 Posts
Update if anyone cares - faulty brake light switch. No parts in stock at the workshop so have to wait for KTM to ship one across which could take who knows long with the current crisis.

To say I am p***ed off is an understatement, should have been caught on the PDI as it's been happening since I picked the bike up.

So gutted, now I'm paying finance payments and insurance for a bike I don't have.
Do you know if they used the diagnostic tablet? Dealership fixed mine in minutes while I waited. Symptoms of mine were brake light stuck on constant, sometimes I could get it to turn off like when I restarted the bike but as soon as I touched the lever, it would stay on again. Playing with the lever while the light was stuck on, I could get it to dim for a split second randomly.

Very well could be the switch but I know how it feels when you're bike is down waiting for parts that it didn't need in the first place. Hopefully, they diagnosed it thoroughly.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Do you know if they used the diagnostic tablet? Dealership fixed mine in minutes while I waited. Symptoms of mine were brake light stuck on constant, sometimes I could get it to turn off like when I restarted the bike but as soon as I touched the lever, it would stay on again. Playing with the lever while the light was stuck on, I could get it to dim for a split second randomly.

Very well could be the switch but I know how it feels when you're bike is down waiting for parts that it didn't need in the first place. Hopefully, they diagnosed it thoroughly.
Yeah, I hope so... they said they "ran a diagnostic" so I guess so. They've always been pretty good before (my previous KTM was from the same place).

·
Super-Member
606 Posts
Any update? I had a similar issue when mine was new, and I ended up doing what you did at first which fixed it. I actually sprayed a PB blaster around the actuator pin to make it move more freely. Seemed to work.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Any update? I had a similar issue when mine was new, and I ended up doing what you did at first which fixed it. I actually sprayed a PB blaster around the actuator pin to make it move more freely. Seemed to work.
Picking it up in 2 hours actually. Can't wait. I believe they replaced the actuator or the switch in the ABS pump, memory is a little fuzzy now. If they give me some paperwork I'll report back.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
From the dealer:
"It was just a failure of a brake switch, small cheap part but crucial when it comes to activating/deactivating the brake light!"

1 - 20 of 23 Posts