KTM 790 Duke Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
366 Posts
Some say they work others say the do nothing, pays yer money and all that I suppose.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I just did the booster plug on my '18 790 - heaps smoother even made quick shifter less clucky.

FYI I run K&N Filter & Leo Vince SV10 twin (no db) pipes with Cat and that was rougher than stock prior to booster plug.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I had one on my '19 and decided to go with a PC5 from Rotty. I believe it made a difference, just not enough for the mods I had made.
I was thinking I should put it up for sale. It's almost new. PM me if you decide to go that way and are interested.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I just installed the booster plug on my 2020 - I am very pleased with the improvement in fueling just off idle and opening a fully closed throttle. 5 minute install. Very pleased with the customer service (I asked a few questions ahead of time) and shipping speed from the manufacturer.

·
Registered
790 Duke 2020
78 Posts
My bike is stock everything. It is a great value-for-money fun bike. But the slow-running, bimbling-through-towns fuelling can be inconsistent and jerky, as we all know. Granted it is tolerable, especially if we keep the revs up.
I cannot justify a Coober/dyno solution for my riding needs. So Booster Plug and Rapid Bike Easy seemed to be possible ways forward for me.

I suspected that Rapid Bike Easy would give the better fix but have been disappointed by their lack of data or meaningful graphs, despite having exchanged emails with them and receiving some more info. I also suspect that the Bosch ECU could adapt a work-around to the Rapid Bike Easy modification in time but I am no expert in this field.

My original assumption concerning the Booster Plug was that it would simply make a 6% enrichment across the entire rev range. I incorrectly thought that, whilst this enrichment would help under 6k and varying throttles, it might reduce peak power due to over-enrichment at higher revs. I was wrong.

After reading more carefully through the Booster Plug website I now realise that this simple little device provides an elegant solution for those of us who only want to refine the engine response at low revs and during throttle changes. When cruising, the fuelling will revert to lambda control and original factory mapping.

The website instils confidence with lots of FAQ's and testimonials.

So I fitted a Booster Plug yesterday. Outside air temperature was 8 deg C. The engine fired and ran smoothly, without wavering, racing or hunting - it just idled steadily and sounded safe and solid, with a slightly deeper exhaust note. The improvement in smoothness was apparent within the first quarter mile. Throttle response is now more progressive and stable. It is no longer essential to keep feathering the clutch and throttle whilst slow riding, since the engine feels stronger and happier. Other have reported this same phenomenon and it has been my experience too. Strong smooth torque is snatch-free from low revs. Hey, its not perfect but its way better than stock and totally acceptable for a twin that will rev to 10k. I have only done 60 miles of very mixed country lane riding so far but can happily confirm that the fuel consumption is unchanged. I suspect it might be even better than before but I'll monitor that and report back in due course.

I am pleasantly surprised and better informed, thanks in no small part to related posts on this forum. If you fancy an easy-to-fit inexpensive fix to smoothen the slow running, this is it.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I have also fitted a Booster Plug and K&N and then 2 weeks later i fitted a LeoVince lv10 twin can system and there is deffo an improvement over stock, not a huge day and night difference but from cold it now stinks of fuel from the exhaust and ticks over smoother stock it used to rev up and down 2-300rpm when cold started thats gone with the BP fitted, i have always riden with it in track mode throttle response was street as it used to jerk about to much in sport or track throttle response ! now with the BP i now have it in track throttle response which is still a bit iffy at low revs but nowhere near as bad as stock, my opinion it was worth the £130 Saying that im getting the bike dyno'd and remapped and the BP will be coming off.

·
Registered
790 Duke 2020
78 Posts
I had my old MT07 remapped and dyno’d by Seton Racing and the improvement was stunning.
I can’t afford or justify it for the Duke, so BP is a decent compromise. Deffo remove it prior to your dyno and remap. Maybe you could post the graphs in due course. 🧐👍

1 - 8 of 8 Posts