KTM 790 Duke Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have Quickshifter enabled, but rarely use it - almost all my shifts are done using the clutch. Strange thing just started happening - when I shift down (clutch fully pulled in) the blipper revs the engine, as if I'm changing down using the Quickshifter. Any clues what's causing this?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Do you have the quick shifter turned off in the settings? It may just be trying to do its thing because its turned on even while you engage the clutch/. I'm genuinely curious to hear why you don't use the quick shifter? I'm not bashing or trying to start any arguments at all, its just such an awesome feature i'm curious as to your perspective.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Do you have the quick shifter turned off in the settings? It may just be trying to do its thing because its turned on even while you engage the clutch/. I'm genuinely curious to hear why you don't use the quick shifter? I'm not bashing or trying to start any arguments at all, its just such an awesome feature i'm curious as to your perspective.
On the advice of Ryan, I checked the micro switch which sits under the clutch lever, and seem to have found the problem. I recently installed heated grips, and in the process stretched the wires going to the clutch switch, when I put the rubber "zip tie" back around the wires in that area. Looks like it was pulling on the clutch switch wires enough to affect the function of the switch internals. Having freed it up, seems to be working fine now.

Regarding use (or lack of!) of the quickshifter, it's just personal preference. I find that unless it's used at high revs when changing up, it's sometimes a bit harsh. Right now, I'm using my 790 as a commuter bike, so high revs don't really happen much! I do use the quickshifter more on highway rides, but probably nothing like as much as most owners. And as for downshifting, again it feels a little harsh, and seems like it's putting considerable stress on the transmission.

·
Registered
251 Posts
@markjanemhan I commute on mine and don't tend to ride it hard too often when I'm exploring the roads round here but I use the quick shifter all the time both up and down - it's really very smooth, there's nothing harsh about it at all.

Maybe your bike needs the shift shaft sensor recalibrating? It's one of the items on a regular service - mine improved after the first service and has been great ever since.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Maybe your bike needs the shift shaft sensor recalibrating? It's one of the items on a regular service - mine improved after the first service and has been great ever since.
It could be in need of recalibration. I generally avoid dealerships for servicing, since they have a pretty awful reputation. I use the services of an independent mechanic I trust implicitly. The only drawback with that is a lack of KTM diagnostic equipment, which I assume this sensor requires for recalibration. I may have to hold my nose and allow the dealership to touch my bike!

·
Registered
251 Posts
Indeed - I think it's a really important line item on the first service, once the transmission and engine has bedded in a little. Mine was so much better after.

·
Registered
64 Posts
On the advice of Ryan, I checked the micro switch which sits under the clutch lever, and seem to have found the problem. I recently installed heated grips, and in the process stretched the wires going to the clutch switch, when I put the rubber "zip tie" back around the wires in that area. Looks like it was pulling on the clutch switch wires enough to affect the function of the switch internals. Having freed it up, seems to be working fine now.

Regarding use (or lack of!) of the quickshifter, it's just personal preference. I find that unless it's used at high revs when changing up, it's sometimes a bit harsh. Right now, I'm using my 790 as a commuter bike, so high revs don't really happen much! I do use the quickshifter more on highway rides, but probably nothing like as much as most owners. And as for downshifting, again it feels a little harsh, and seems like it's putting considerable stress on the transmission.
I too don’t use the upshift much unless l’m really accelerating quite hard. I absolutely love the down shift on the twisty roads near me. It’s also great tapping down a couple of gears coming into a roundabout. Cheers

1 - 9 of 9 Posts