KTM 790 Duke Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I find I leave my indicators on all the time.
The switch gear is cheap and the indicator light in the display is not very bright and is out of line of sight.
I would like to set it up so it only indicates when I push on the switch and goes off when I let the switch go.
Has anybody else tried to do this?
I had a little look this evening, but did not manage to get the switch gear apart.
Any ideas?

·
Registered
166 Posts
That could be tricky to do. But this company as a smart turn system but our duke is not in the compatible list even if pretty much all KTM is. So i just sent an email to have more details. We’ll see.

·
Registered
1,956 Posts
That could be tricky to do. But this company as a smart turn system but our duke is not in the compatible list even if pretty much all KTM is. So i just sent an email to have more details. We’ll see.
I asked them last year and they were not at all sure it would work. I even sent them the wiring diagram from the manual.
Personally after looking at the wiring I think it should. But I am simply not prepared to mess about & try it.

·
Registered
1,956 Posts
I find I leave my indicators on all the time.
The switch gear is cheap and the indicator light in the display is not very bright and is out of line of sight.
I would like to set it up so it only indicates when I push on the switch and goes off when I let the switch go.
Has anybody else tried to do this?
I had a little look this evening, but did not manage to get the switch gear apart.
Any ideas?
I think it would be easier to fit secondary bright reminder lights tbh.
I did this on my Triumph a few years ago.

That or wire up a simple indicator light circuit in parallel, using momentary pushbuttons. This will be almost certainly be better ergonomically.
Amazon is full of buttons. I would use an Axel Joost or Motogadget relay simply because they are TINY and load independent.

·
Registered
166 Posts
I asked them last year and they were not at all sure it would work. I even sent them the wiring diagram from the manual.
Personally after looking at the wiring I think it should. But I am simply not prepared to mess about & try it.
They were quick to answer me, he wrote me that they didn’t test it yet and he ask me to send him the wiring diagram( witch i just did ) i guest that since last year they realized that they should put some attention to this ?!?
We’ll see

·
Registered
1,956 Posts
We’ll see
The problem they have is that not everybody is prepared to hack into wiring. And their solution VERY MUCH requires this.

Given the differences too, between US/ROW models - then I can imagine most owners are even less inclined to play about. If there was a discrete indicator relay - then it would be a different matter.

I would have liked to try it - I use their brake light module - and had I done so, I would have wired in a discrete relay. But it started getting expensive, and originally I was not even sure I would like the 790 all that much.

Now - well I can live with manual-cators. Until recently even my car did not have self cancelling - because the doodad in the steering wheel broke.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Learn to turn it off. It will become habit if you concentrate on it. Just like it is turning the indicator on.
I do, but the switch gear is so shabby, that it is a random outcome, so needs to be double checked by taking eyes off the road to look at the (barely visible) indicator light.
This is not a problem at all on my other bike.

·
Registered
2018 KTM 790 Duke, 2008 KTM RC8, 2009 Yamaha MT-01, 2008 Buell XB12Scg, 1993 Yamaha Vmax.
201 Posts
I do, but the switch gear is so shabby, that it is a random outcome, so needs to be double checked by taking eyes off the road to look at the (barely visible) indicator light.
Ok. Haven't found it an issue myself. No worse than my other bikes.

·
Registered
1,956 Posts
Maybe you have a dud set! - Mine is really good and tactile.

·
Registered
480 Posts
How about an audible system? People will think you’re reversing but at least you’ll know you’ve left your turn signals on. 🤷‍♂️

·
a d m i n .
151,080 Posts
Not sure where you live or how the laws are there, but for me personally I always use hand signals during the day and blinkers at night.

I feel like with brighter gloves this is what people see during the day and then the blinkers at night I always can tell if I left them rather immediately.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Not sure where you live or how the laws are there, but for me personally I always use hand signals during the day and blinkers at night.

I feel like with brighter gloves this is what people see during the day and then the blinkers at night I always can tell if I left them rather immediately.
Interestingly, there is no legal requirement to use indicators in the UK.

·
a d m i n .
151,080 Posts
Interestingly, there is no legal requirement to use indicators in the UK.
I feel as though many scoff that law here in the States. People here fail to realize driving is a privilege, not a right. Of course one has to expect the unexpected, but common courtesy is to signal your intentions.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I feel as though many scoff that law here in the States. People here fail to realize driving is a privilege, not a right. Of course one has to expect the unexpected, but common courtesy is to signal your intentions.
I got so annoyed with the lack of indicator use in Los Angeles that I looked up the law to see if maybe I was the one that was crazy. Turns out in California the law says that you must signal "in the event any other vehicle may be affected by this movement".

1 - 20 of 21 Posts