KTM 790 Duke Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had so much trouble deciding on an exhaust for this bike but I finally landed on Black Widow. Decided to go with the CL20R + with the de-cat. I like the look of the short cans on the 790.

Got here in less than a week from the UK. Came with some cool swag (stickers, lanyard) and everything seems very well constructed and solid. Didn't realize I would need to lift the rear wheel to remove the cat so I'll have to wait till tomorrow when Cycle Gear opens to pick up a stand. More pics, and more importantly, some videos of how it sounds coming up..

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Holy crap guys. HOLY CRAP. I'm at a loss for words really. Started it with the db killer out first, freakin loud. Put it back in and it's still almost just as loud, just takes the edge off and makes it sound sexy vs obnoxious. It pops and gurgles accordingly at low rpms. I told my buddy when we were installing this that I would be surprised if it was louder than my HD with Vance and Hines pipes. I've never been so happy to be wrong. This thing absolutely screams at high rpms. I can't find the words right now to explain how good it sounds.

Install wasn't too bad. Have to take off the footpegs on both sides and the kick stand to get the cat out. Took me a couple of hours and I'm no mechanic. The instructions that came with the exhaust were great. Clear pictures and accurate descriptions. The can is sturdy and well constructed. All the welds are perfect and the link pipes fit like a glove. It's high quality and I'm still a little shocked at the low price for this. Best deal on a decat exhaust for this bike out there IMO. Oh and it only took 4 DAYS to get here (Arkansas) from the UK. Outstanding.

Took a brief startup video:
I didn't want to rev it much in the neighborhood. I will do some drive by videos as soon as I can.

·
Registered
2018 KTM 790 Duke, 2008 KTM RC8, 2009 Yamaha MT-01, 2008 Buell XB12Scg, 1993 Yamaha Vmax.
201 Posts
Sounds great. Looks like they do a big selection of styles too.

·
a d m i n .
151,080 Posts
Sounds potente, looking forward to the audio/video drive- pass.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Looking for a decent road out away from the city to do the drive by video.

One thing I've noticed since the install is the engine running hotter than normal. Temp gauge stays at 4 bars (saw it hit 5 one time while stopped at a traffic light in when it was already 98F outside). I can feel the heat just rolling off the motor when sitting and idling. I believe this to be because the air/fuel is even leaner now than stock, which was already too lean for this bike. After lots of reading I've decided that a Booster Plug will solve this issue. I spoke with Jens at Booster Plug and he explained it quite well. There's also a handy FAQ section on the website that answers this question.

I don't want to get into an ATOM or PCV, modifying/removing o2 sensors, any of that. All I want to do is richen up the A/F a little bit and that's all the booster plug does (by 6%). Will keep this thread updated if there's any interest.

·
Super Moderator
1,448 Posts
Very nice pipe. Reminds me a bit of the Delkevic.

Used the shorty on my ZX-6R after I scraped the OEM pipe. Was very impressed by their value for money and high quality. Looked and sounded great.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Sorry to raise this thread from the dead. I am looking into getting a black widow, do you mind getting a rough Db reading for me? even just a rough one from an app on your phone would be great

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Sorry to raise this thread from the dead. I am looking into getting a black widow, do you mind getting a rough Db reading for me? even just a rough one from an app on your phone would be great
Hey man, no problem. I'll try to get you something this week.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Hey man, no problem. I'll try to get you something this week.
I measured it with an app on my iPhone 11. It's showing between 91 and 93 db with it idling standing about 4 or 5 feet directly behind the can. It goes up close to 95 sitting on the seat. I didn't rev it or anything. That's with the "db killer" installed. I couldn't be happier. For the price, you can't beat it. I have thought about trying one of their bigger exhausts assuming it will be a little quieter. I guess I'm getting old. Ha!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts