KTM 790 Duke Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
So my duke has recently been stuck in its garage for 8-10 weeks over winter because the door was jammed. I've just got it back out and obviously thought the battery would be dead. So pulled it out, charged it and put it back in. The engine tried to crank, but sounded like it was strained. I was advised by my mum dealer that the battery could have discharged too far to take a recharge and I should get another one. Bought one, put it in the bike and same thing happened. I then charged the battery just in case, but nothing.

I have called the breakdown support that came with the bike, and they will be sending someone to check it, or recover it to the shop to get a warranty repair, but I was just hoping someone on here might have an idea what might be wrong with it.

Registered
Discussion Starter #2
So my duke has recently been stuck in its garage for 8-10 weeks over winter because the door was jammed. I've just got it back out and obviously thought the battery would be dead. So pulled it out, charged it and put it back in. The engine tried to crank, but sounded like it was strained. I was advised by my mum dealer that the battery could have discharged too far to take a recharge and I should get another one. Bought one, put it in the bike and same thing happened. I then charged the battery just in case, but nothing.

I have called the breakdown support that came with the bike, and they will be sending someone to check it, or recover it to the shop to get a warranty repair, but I was just hoping someone on here might have an idea what might be wrong with it.

Also just discovered that I can't get the fuel cap open. The key goes in and turns with some resistance, but the cap itself will not budge (even scratched it a bit trying to use some force trying to persuade it to move 馃槶). One of my mates on Facebook has suggested vapour lock, can anyone advise??

Registered
I would let the dealer sort it.

You could slacken off the bolts holding the filler cap ring - But if there is crud up there better to let them deal with it.
imo the cap breather setup is a bit weak. I bought mine second hand (in Spain and in summer) - the whole breather area was wet (water) and the breather tubes corroded . ACF50 liberally applied.

Registered
Discussion Starter #5
So I worked some wd40 into the key hole and that finally opened it up. Also got the breakdown cover that came with the bike to come out to have a look at it and it turned out the engine was flooded. He had to trick the fuel pump from activating by pulling out the fuse to help clear the fuel, and then touched the fuse to complete the circuit to get the fuel going once the engine was starting to fire up.

I'm just glad it wasn't anything more serious and the bike is running again without having to go back to the workshop.

Registered
And...I'm quite amazed the breakdown guy did that, some struggle to change a tyre and default to towing to a garage. Who was it?

Registered
Discussion Starter #9
And...I'm quite amazed the breakdown guy did that, some struggle to change a tyre and default to towing to a garage. Who was it?
It was the RAC, the bike came with two years membership for breakdown cover and recovery as part of the warranty cover I guess, and honestly after this I'm strongly considering continuing membership after just in case!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts