KTM 790 Duke Forum banner
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have a tank bag that they are happy with? Seems like a lot of them are very small or don't fit all that well because of the 'unique' shape of the 790 tank. (Did a quick search and didn't find a lot).

Thanks!

·
Registered
60 Posts
Anyone have a tank bag that they are happy with? Seems like a lot of them are very small or don't fit all that well because of the 'unique' shape of the 790 tank. (Did a quick search and didn't find a lot).

Thanks!
I have the SW-Motech Evo Daypack for my bike and I find the fit perfect. It is only between 5-9 liters and so it depends on the size you are wanting for the bike. See link below.

SW-MoTech EVO Daypack Tank Bag

·
Registered
110 Posts
I have a Givi 12ltr Tanklock bag. Clips on and off very easily. 2 side pockets for keys, loose change etc. Large inner with clear top lid for maps, phone etc. I use a battery power bank inside to power a spare phone I use as a satnav - there's a hole through the end of the bag for the cable.
Doesn't foul the bars on full lock although I can only see part of the phone as it's obscured - I need another RAM extension to put it higher.

Really happy with

·
Registered
105 Posts
I've got the KTM tank bag and it's fine for me. Glasses, sunnies, phone and wallet all fit along with spare earplugs. Doesn't get in the way. Easy to remove for refuelling stops. Also, as my dealer couldn't supply it with the new bike when I collected it, they removed it from the overall cost and posted it to me free of charge.

Only problem is you have to drill four holes in the bottom yourself. Come on, KTM, pre-drill the holes.

·
Registered
2020 KTM Duke, '72 Norton Commando, '62 BSA C-15, '82 Suzuki PE 175
276 Posts
Land vehicle Vehicle Motorcycle Motor vehicle Automotive tire
I mounted this big ******* the other day as a test. I had your same concerns about the strange "tank" shape. It has a couple of magnets that work well on the steel fuel tank. I also slipped a web strap around the steering head to attach to clips in the front of the bag. It should work well.
In this photo it is not expandad to its full height but I don't think that will change things.
I would not go with just the magnets and I may put a couple of additional straps on the sides for more confidence.
For every day riding I use a tail pack on the pillion.
Bottoms up

·
Registered
2020 790
42 Posts
I have a Givi 12ltr Tanklock bag. Clips on and off very easily. 2 side pockets for keys, loose change etc. Large inner with clear top lid for maps, phone etc. I use a battery power bank inside to power a spare phone I use as a satnav - there's a hole through the end of the bag for the cable.
Doesn't foul the bars on full lock although I can only see part of the phone as it's obscured - I need another RAM extension to put it higher.

Really happy with
Another vote for Givi tanklock. Super easy, secure, no straps or magnets.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for all the replies and advice. I think I'll probably end up going with the Givi as it looks like once you have their tanklock they have quite a few different options. Will post an image when I get it sorted out!

·
Super Moderator
2018 Duke 790
241 Posts
KTM bag by SW motech. Holds my glasses, first aid, water bottle, visor cleaning kit, etc. Pops off with a tug of the rope.

·
Registered
468 Posts
Heads up with the SW-Motech tank bags:

Note
  • On the KTM Duke 125/390 (17-) and 790 (1:cool:, both the EVO tank ring and EVO tank bag are rotated 180 degrees and mounted.
  • Tank rings from the EVO series cannot be combined with PRO tank bags.

·
Registered
469 Posts
Very happy with the Givi EA123 bag. It's big enough for day trips but small enough to not even notice it while riding. it slopes down at the front so no issue viewing instruments and a GPS mounted using the PP GPS mount

·
Registered
1,956 Posts
Wish I could get a first hand look at some OXFORD variants. ime OXFORD stuff is edcent quality - and if you like QD versions - The OXFORD is Stainless Steel.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I was just debating with myself between the Micro and the Daypack.....are you pretty stoked on the fit, positioning, size, etc? Which tankring did you use? Thanks mate!

·
Registered
52 Posts
I have the SW-Motech Evo Daypack for my bike and I find the fit perfect. It is only between 5-9 liters and so it depends on the size you are wanting for the bike. See link below.

SW-MoTech EVO Daypack Tank Bag
I've used the Evo Daypack on several bikes and plan on using it on my 790 as it only requires the purchase of the bottom ring. I've noticed in SW's literature, they say you have to mount the bottom ring backwards and turn the bag 180 degrees. Did you have to do that?

·
Registered
60 Posts
I've used the Evo Daypack on several bikes and plan on using it on my 790 as it only requires the purchase of the bottom ring. I've noticed in SW's literature, they say you have to mount the bottom ring backwards and turn the bag 180 degrees. Did you have to do that?
Yes that is correct. I had to unscrew the bottom of the tank bag and turn the ring around. It was not hard to do and I did not have to re-drill the holes again.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Yes that is correct. I had to unscrew the bottom of the tank bag and turn the ring around. It was not hard to do and I did not have to re-drill the holes again.
Since I've used mine on several bikes (currently on my Tiger 800) it has more that one set of holes in the bottom. Hopefully, I have it "predrilled" :unsure:

·
Super Moderator
1,447 Posts
Riding for almost 40 years, I never really understood the need for a tank bag, unless you ride a lot with a passenger.

My preferred approach is a backpack and a cargo net on the back seat. Might not look as good as some of the designer tank bags out there, but very practical, easily moved from bike to bike and highly cost effective.

Probably some kind of a blind spot for me.

Reactions: WishIwasFaster
1 - 20 of 51 Posts