KTM 790 Duke Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I made it.
With vertically-challenged people like me in mind although I am sure that many would enjoy the mod.

For mysterious reasons, the Duke 890 saddle is shaped as an old tractor seat.
Automotive lighting Grille Rectangle Hood Automotive exterior

It makes me feel like I am riding a motorized barrel, with very limited possibilities to move or hang-off.
The worst thing by far being the pain in the inner thighs. As many discovered, the PP low-seat is not comfortable and doesn't bring any improvement (my custom seat is a bit better).

I found a very cheap OEM seat on the web, took off the cover and brutally remove the useless flat plastic portion from the sides.
Road surface Wood Asphalt Twig Beige

Hood Grille Grey Automotive exterior Luggage and bags

Actually, there is no need to cut as far back I as did, but I wanted the change to be significant.
I cut the, now unnecessary, extra foam, more like a butcher than a carver (no offense to the butchers on the forum, but you get the picture) and I put some staples back.
No much difference at first sight but ...
Grey Undergarment Pattern Personal protective equipment Font

Bumper Automotive exterior Bicycle part Rim Carbon

Bumper Grey Office equipment Space bar Plant

Joy and happiness

Not only can I hold the tank with my knees and move around the seat like I am on a real sport bike, but reaching the ground is now much easier, especially on those banked roads...
My intention was to get another cheap seat and do a cleaner work. But I am weak; this one is good enough !

·
Registered
58 Posts
i am 6ft tall so the height isnt an issue but the shape of the seat is horrible......constantly standing up to relax my pants from riding up constantly....the edges are too square and sharp and seat just throws you right up against the tank.....almost have to wear 2 layers so 1 slides with seat while bottom layer stays put

·
Registered
KTM 890 Duke R (2021)
27 Posts
Well, I made it.
With vertically-challenged people like me in mind although I am sure that many would enjoy the mod.

For mysterious reasons, the Duke 890 saddle is shaped as an old tractor seat.
View attachment 9997
It makes me feel like I am riding a motorized barrel, with very limited possibilities to move or hang-off.
The worst thing by far being the pain in the inner thighs. As many discovered, the PP low-seat is not comfortable and doesn't bring any improvement (my custom seat is a bit better).

I found a very cheap OEM seat on the web, took off the cover and brutally remove the useless flat plastic portion from the sides.
View attachment 9999
View attachment 9998
Actually, there is no need to cut as far back I as did, but I wanted the change to be significant.
I cut the, now unnecessary, extra foam, more like a butcher than a carver (no offense to the butchers on the forum, but you get the picture) and I put some staples back.
No much difference at first sight but ...
View attachment 10002
View attachment 10001
View attachment 10000

Joy and happiness

Not only can I hold the tank with my knees and move around the seat like I am on a real sport bike, but reaching the ground is now much easier, especially on those banked roads...
My intention was to get another cheap seat and do a cleaner work. But I am weak; this one is good enough !
That's a fabulous solution! No idea why KTM chooses to put such a poorly designed seat on such a fabulous bike, it would be interesting to hear what their engineers thoughts were.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts