KTM 790 Duke Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Brilliant bike, can't praise it enough but the bloody thing now (2 years old) just wont charge ! Either that or there is a huge drain on it . No warning lights flashing so not sure. Called the garage and they reckon more likely battery failed. Tried monitoring it all day today with meter and it appears to be holding a charge 12.5 volts. I've gone for 40 min ride today and I'm sure tomorrow morning it will be dead. No aftermarket stuff fitted....any ideas?

·
Registered
166 Posts
Brilliant bike, can't praise it enough but the bloody thing now (2 years old) just wont charge ! Either that or there is a huge drain on it . No warning lights flashing so not sure. Called the garage and they reckon more likely battery failed. Tried monitoring it all day today with meter and it appears to be holding a charge 12.5 volts. I've gone for 40 min ride today and I'm sure tomorrow morning it will be dead. No aftermarket stuff fitted....any ideas?
At 12.5v your battery is about 90% witch should be ok for a little while yet. Now when the bike is running what voltage do you get ?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Pat. I disconnected the terminals last night and checked it again this morning. It’s hardly lost anything at all which suggests there is a draw on the battery when connected more than it can cope with. I’ll monitor during the day to check that theory. I’m surprised a 2 year old bike needs a new battery though

·
Registered
422 Posts
When the bike is running what voltage does it show in the display?

It's in the menus under [ Trips / Data ] / [ General Info ]. From memory I think it should be about 14V if the alternator is working.

·
Registered
2,516 Posts
New battery time. Almost certainly. Voltage alone is not enough. If the plates do not hold charge - then they cannot release it.
Sealed batteries are also - despite claims to the contrary - wont to dry out. But you cannot top them up.

See the same thing on most modern bikes and electronics. They are MUCH more fussy than old motors.
2 years battery life is (sadly) also starting to be more common.

You either need a battery load tester or you can stick a voltmeter across the terminals and watch the volts as you hit the starter.
If the voltage drops below 9-10V - the ECU simply will not try to fire the coils.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I have charged my battery up over lock down tried charging it up last week ( hopping to get out next week) battery will not charge fully up this was the second OEM battery on new bikes that has not lasted 2 years sad but true Yuasa YTX9-BS now fitted eagerly awaiting release.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.